7 Subjects...?

HelenaStage

Hi,

So I'm in Pre-IB, continuing into the IB next year, and I have a question for current or past IB students:

The thing is, that I am taking 7 subjects, 4 of them HL, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same (or similar) subject combination, and how it was going.

I am planning on:

HL

Maths

Physics

Chemistry

English A1

SL

Danish B

History

Spanish ab initio

That's brutal, I'd really, seriously recommend against it. You've picked pretty much the hardest HLs. I know a few people taking 4HLs, some of whom are regretting it a lot now, but it's too late to drop back to three, having already submitted the examination forms. Even with only 3 high levels and 6 subjects, you're going to be incredibly busy, the whole time. All something like this would do is, in my view, undermine and undercut your ability in each individual subject, by taking on too much. But it's ultimately your decision of course, and wait to hear what others here have to say.

I'd do it. Personally, I was about to do something similar, but it didn't work out because of school's scheduling. It is true that maths, physics and chemistry will take up much of your time. However, if you regard these as your first-hand choices, and the ab initio language as something fun on the side, then I don't see how it'd be that big a problem. If you have a fairly easy time learning languages, then lang ab initio is arguably the easiest course you can take. It's a pretty good idea to start with a language now. The sooner the better; you can take post-beginner Spanish when you enter uni.

If you feel that Spanish will hinder you from doing well in maths and science, then drop it. I assume you intend to do sci or engineering later on.

HHmm. I have to say that physics + math + chem is going to hit you hard. history just means one more paper, and can work in your benefit, so its kind of like just taking 2 sciences and math. Either way, It doesnt sound like you are ready for it. Forgive me, its just that usually people say thnigs like, I know what it takes I have been through worse or give some visual on the horizon of character. Math + physics will just be mathematical work, but chem is going to be a mixture of physics and biology. Learning concepts and connecting them across the endless sea of what we call our syllabus.

That's brutal. I'd die.

Math and physics are pretty much the 2 hardest HLs. And English is no walk in the park either because you'll have to do a lot of works and write a lot of papers for it. Chem HL is alright.

If you take those 4 HLs, be prepared to work your butt off everyday if you want to get 6/7 in those subjects.

If you take those 4 HLs, be prepared to work your butt off everyday if you want to get 6/7 in those subjects.

thats another thing..you are taking so much valuable time away from the classes you should be focusing on. Why dont you choose somethnig you actually want to do in life. If you want to be a physicist, then those 3 combinations are great. If you want to be a doctor i would tell you to take biology instead of physics. Maybe if you could tell us what you want to be, it would maybe seem reasonable to do so much work.

Are you going to do these seven subjects in a period of 2 years? :|

I did not know that was possible.

Personally, I wouldn't go for it.

I mean, why would you need to (as far are university requirements are concerned?)

If I were you, I would just pick 6 subjects and try to do my best in them.

I think you'd probably do better when you have 6, instead of 7 subjects to worry about.

But if you really really really wish to do all seven subjects, go for it.

... however, it would be a lot of extra work.

Good Luck ! <_<

I'm doing 7 subjects too: Maths HL (probably Further Maths SL), Biology HL, Physics HL, Chemistry SL, English B SL, Catalan HL, Philosophy SL (but I'm coursing it at HL). But I'll only examine of 6 (all except Biology), althought I'm thinking to examine of Biology SL. If I were you, I will try to do all the subjects you can and at the moment to decide about what subjects you will examine choose the ones you like more.

But, prepare yourself! Good luck!

Edited by Toffu-san

I wouldn't neccessarily discourage you from taking these subjects because it is indeed possible to have them. I myself have four HLs two of which are Maths HL and Physics HL, and in both subjects, I was predicted a 7 (Of course we still would have to see because the first year is not even over for me). It also depends what you want to study. I for instance would like to go into a science or medicine branch so that I preferably needed all three science subjects, but when you think that you don't need them, you could also drop it.

Finally, when you reall, really like the subjects and are gifted in them (especially maths and physics), you will still do well. You just have to work a bit harder. :crying:

• 3 months later...

********. English A1 is not a requirement to study in the UK, certainly not when it comes to natural sciences. I took English A2 HL and will study Economics in the UK; similarly, a friend of mine had an offer from Imperial College London to study Physics with English A2 SL. Further, I know many people with the Finnish high school diploma have gone on to study in the UK; many in universities like Oxbridge and they did not even have the option to study English as their mother tongue.

If Danish is your strongest language, pick Danish A1 SL and do English A2 HL instead. A2 SL or even B HL English are fine too.

In my opinion, it is not impossible to do well with this combination of subjects. I find that the possible problem here is not in the subjects (Spanish ab initio is the same thing as if you started classes outside of school, which is not that rare and not that demanding). However, you should seriously think about the problems that may arise from having 4 of the most difficult subjects on a HL (especially Math and Physics). Some of my friends who have 4 HLs are having a difficult time staying on track with all assignments and teachers' expectations. However, from my personal experience, English A1 HL does not differ that strongly from English A1 SL, and in my opinion, the more demanding the courses, the better.

So overall, I would say do it, if you are sure you can cope with Math/Physics/Chemistry all on HL. Good luck with that

Note: I know many kids who graduated from my school this year and got into prestigious UK universities having English A2 SL/HL. In reality, you can always prove your knowledge of the language by sitting some standardized test (IELTS/TOEFL) instead of making your already heavy IB schedule even heavier.

Honestly I think that you need to reconsider your HL options. I was told by my teachers a few months ago that taking 2 HL sciences along with math HL would put a student in a very high risk of not doing well in any of the 3 HL subjects let alone any other subject you would take. I don't think you should put yourself in a position which you could later regret. Make sure that your final choice is one that you personally think is going to work with you without over stressing you with all the work that you will be required to complete.

Good luck :(

Just thought I'd add my two cents to this whole debate---some interesting views; some of which I agree with, some of which I don't.

Personally, I think your combination of subjects is absolutely madness. Of course, I'm into the Humanities and Social Sciences myself, but from I've heard from people doing Maths HL and Physics HL, those subjects are going to come back to bite you in the arse (4 people failed the IB at my school this year---two lacked enough points, the other two plain and simply failed Maths HL).

You don't need English A1 to study in the UK, as has been mentioned. However, if you prefer studying English, I suggest you take it. I take English A1 myself (I'm Danish too), and while it's posing some challenges, I definitely prefer the works that my English teacher has selected over the ones his wife (the Danish A1 teacher!) has selected. If you're not very strong on analysing minimalist texts, I suggest you stay as far away from Danish A1 as possible (sure, there's a lot of minimalism in modern English literature, but not to the extent you have in Danish. That's just over the top).

I think picking all three major G4 subjects as HL will fark you over will come back to bite you at some point, especially when taking them in addition to Maths HL, and I would suggest re-thinking that combination, unless you're an absolute wiz at the sciences.

However, I can guarantee you that taking Danish B will relieve you of some of the pressure caused by those subjects---I have an agreement with my teacher to only show up for my lessons once a month (1 lesson a week, normally). I'd suggest you swapped one of your other higher levels for Danish B HL instead, as that would still give you a free Dansk A in case you wanted to apply for a Danish university instead.

Just my two cents. Hope you enjoy the proper IB---and live through the year. :(

Edited by Pirat Havelund

Honestly I think that you need to reconsider your HL options. I was told by my teachers a few months ago that taking 2 HL sciences along with math HL would put a student in a very high risk of not doing well in any of the 3 HL subjects let alone any other subject you would take. I don't think you should put yourself in a position which you could later regret. Make sure that your final choice is one that you personally think is going to work with you without over stressing you with all the work that you will be required to complete.

Good luck :(

I was denied this, and in the end signed a contract with the school to say that if I failed due to 2 sciences, they had nothing to do with it. It even says on there in fancy writing, "statistically students taking 2 HL sciences, according to IB, have performed below the IB Diploma requirement for graduation". Personally I think its bull. I am doing fine, its a matter of just staying focused, but i can tell you from personal experience that one failed attempt to study ahead in biology will give you a uphill battle in other courses.

I have some philosophies to try out this one last year, to see how I can work best on a tight schedule with extracurriculars.

Staff of school should never hinder the class choices of students, it is ultimately their decision.

I think the two HL sciences bit isn't a problem, it's the two sciences in conjunction with HL Maths which is slightly suicidal as a combination.

Several people I know did this and they all underperformed hugely because the pressure on them around the exams was far too much. Predicted 40+, got 30 sort of thing. Having to revise for all three simultaneously meant not revising for any of them enough. It's a very, very difficult combination come exam time.

I think the two HL sciences bit isn't a problem, it's the two sciences in conjunction with HL Maths which is slightly suicidal as a combination.

Several people I know did this and they all underperformed hugely because the pressure on them around the exams was far too much. Predicted 40+, got 30 sort of thing. Having to revise for all three simultaneously meant not revising for any of them enough. It's a very, very difficult combination come exam time.

In either case, with the combination you speak of, if you take out junior summer to study for all 3 and revise them all like for 2 hours a day each, you will get 7s in all most likely. Its something I regret not doing so much even for my mizzzzly line up. I took online courses instead, and it might bite even me in the arse. As far as I know, no one did this at my school.

I am taking HL Chemistry and Physics and the combination of the two is not really that difficult, although I don't know what happens when you add HL Math to it. I was initially taking HL Math, but I dropped out after a moth or so. Well, HL English is not gonna do much of a difference, all extra you will have to do is read an extra book or two and write 2 World Lit papers instead of one. So with English you will be in good shape, I'm sure.

And your SL Subjects seem to be pretty simple too. Its just that you have to think over the sciences nad math in HL. If you know that this will greatly benefit you in future and you will be able to handle them all, go ahead! Or at least try the first month and when you will start feeling pressure, then take of them at SL. :(