Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1-2-3

General Math Examination Tips

28 posts in this topic

- Check to see if you have completed all pages, yeah I lost 10 marks on paper 1 last semester because accidentally skipped a page :(

When you don't know how to solve a problem, read through it carefully a few more times, then start using any relevant equations and try to manipulate those algebraically to get a solution.

However, if you've been spending too much time on one question (trust me-you will know when that's the case), SKIP IT and come back to it later. Sometimes later questions will have information that will help on previous questions. Also, after your brain has mulled subconsciously on a problem for some amount of time, coming back to it with fresh eyes can help immensely. It's amazing how many times I've been stuck on a problem, marked it for later review, and then when I went back to it somehow noticed something/remembered some material I'd missed earlier.

Another tip: go into the exam with a positive attitude! :) people are always AMAZED at my school how much better they do on tests/mocks when they're self-confident (but not arrogant) about their abilities on the assessments.

However (especially for people who have traditionally been strong in previous math classes), do NOT flaunt your talents or boast about them. And DEFINITELY do NOT count on high predicted scores/grades to get you through the real deal. One girl slated to score a 5 on the AP Calc AB exam somehow managed to score either a 2 or 3 (she won't tell because either way it's humiliating). And you know what? Instead of studying, she was constantly blabbing about how she was *sure* to get a perfect or near-perfect on the exam.

Finally, the best way to improve your math is to practice. Do math and more math and still more math. So many of my peers refuse to do this (then again they're not in HL Math) - why do teachers assign homework? About 99.9% of the time, it isn't to torture us, it's to make us apply concepts we learned in class and to prepare us for tests and eventually exams.

I kinda rambled on so :P sorry! Hope this helps!

1 person likes this

Very helpful thing about math examination tips. Yes students can get lots of benefit from it.