The 'Something I always wanted to know the answer to' thread

Vvi

Have a question you've always wanted to know the answer to, but never been able to find the answer because your question is so obscure or you just haven't been looking in the right place? :clap:

IB-related, to do with sports, food or anything, no matter how random. Hopefully someone can answer it for you, and if even if no one can, we'll join you in contemplating the randomness of life's unanswered mysteries.

First question: How do they get football pitches to be marked out in different coloured grass (dark green, light green, dark green, etc.)? :S Do they cut the grass in different directions? Do they comb the grass? Do they grow different grass species in different parts? This has always bothered me.

Another question: What does :S mean? I have never gotten this either, and I deserve a :) for not knowing. But better late than never.

• Like 1

Ftw - for the win or **** the world. You choose.

Why do people (mostly guys) say they don't study when it's blaaaaaatantly not true? :clap:

Thanks!

Because studying is seen as nerdy and they want all their friends to think they're uber-cool with a life outside of school.

• Like 1

I don't know about the grass. Our fields are usually uni-color, with white spray paint to mark the boundaries.

As for the not studying, I think they want others to think they are naturally and effortlessly gifted. If they say they got a 90 out of a 100 without studying and you studied for two hours to get the same grade, they think they're superior.

Why do people say they strive under pressure? Even if they do, wouldn't they succeed more when not under pressure?

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Why do people say they strive under pressure? Even if they do, wouldn't they succeed more when not under pressure?

Much in agreement with Irene.

The more on my plate, the more likely I'm going to log off IBS, FB, MSN Yahoo etc and do WORK.

If I have nothing forcing me to do work I'll just hang around all day and do nothing haha.

When I was organizing a conference I found myself working all the time because I was constantly under pressure... and my marks increased dramatically.... afterwards, not so much :clap:

But don't the "what if"'s get to you?

that is, "what if I don't finish?"--that kind of stuff.

Nah, there is that pressure power you get haha.

It WILL without doubt get done haha.

It's like the exam energy I get!

I can go days without sleeping and still function properly haha

Edited by Ashika

Under high stress conditions, my body needs no sleep. :clap: Ash is the same, see!

This reminds me of another question. Whenever I pull an all-nighter (err... stay up all night), the next day I don't feel sleep-deprived. It's like I'm extra perky. It feels like I'm on a caffeine IV or something. And then right as school gets out, I'm burned out and sleep right when I get home for about 4-6 hours. Does that happen to you?

edit: I guess I meant to ask if it's usual to be perky when going without sleep. (Assuming you're not drinking coffee or consuming exorbitant amounts of sugar)

Edited by sweetnsimple786
  • Like 1

My body seems to function in week-long increments....for example, I could probably take a whole week staying up till 2 AM and feel fine from it. But then the next week I will barely be able to stay up until 12. I seem to have a strange cycle...

How does the English/American school system work?

Never got that...

The English system consists of Nursery, Primary, Secondary and then Sixth Form (comes under secondary really). In Secondary, students do the Key Stage 3s when they come into Year 10 (i.e. High School Grade 9 in American lingo) and then do a 2 year program called GCSEs. Once they finish that, they go on to do A-Levels in sixth form, or IB.

Th US system incorporates Elementary, Middle and High school. They follow a school based or state based syllabus for the entirety of their school career. In High school, some schools opt to do the MYP, until grade 10. In grade 11, schools either do the IB, the APs or a school/state based curriculum. All students get a high school diploma if they pass the high school system. With the school/state based curriculum, students only get a high school diploma (HSD) and they can only go to university in the States. The HSD is worthless in Europe.

OK, so you're 17 when you start grade 11 then? And A-level is sort of equivalent to IB diploma? And what's SAT? I've heard some people mention it here.

Yes, and yes the A-Levels is an equivalent to the IB diploma.

The SAT is the Stupid American Test aka Scholastic Aptitude test. It's a university admissions test, the higher you get the more chances of getting into a prestigious university. It's an indicator of intelligence. There is the SAT I test and the SAT II test. The SAT I is just a general test that considers of Maths, an Essay section, a Grammar section and a Vocab section. The SAT II tests are a collection of subject tests. The SAT I is out of 2400, and the SAT II is out of 800.

Yes, and yes the A-Levels is an equivalent to the IB diploma.

The SAT is the Stupid American Test aka Scholastic Aptitude test. It's a university admissions test, the higher you get the more chances of getting into a prestigious university. It's an indicator of intelligence. There is the SAT I test and the SAT II test. The SAT I is just a general test that considers of Maths, an Essay section, a Grammar section and a Vocab section. The SAT II tests are a collection of subject tests. The SAT I is out of 2400, and the SAT II is out of 800.

Except for early decisions this year. More applicants with high SATs got rejected than lower SATs. :clap:

Ftw - for the win or **** the world. You choose.

Why do people (mostly guys) say they don't study when it's blaaaaaatantly not true? :clap:

Well, I would be one of those who don't study, but that's because I pay attention in class and once I understand a concept, I retain it like a Shamwow (not how they actually work, how they are advertised to work). I'm only in grade 10 pre-IB so I'm sure the day I will need to study will come. Honestly, I didn't study for a single exam last sememster and I had a 88% average. Now, don't think that I've never studied, or that I'm so full of myself that I believe I never have to (quite often I plan on it, procrastinate and miss my opportunity all together, giving me the pre-test "OH SH*T! OH SH*T I'm GONNA FAIL!" But then I realize I know, or can figure out, most of the stuff on the test and I calm down enough to finish the test). It's just that for the majority of tests, I don't.

I'm not sure what you mean by "blaaaaaatantly not true," but I have been accused of lying in these situations. For people who actually are lying, I would have to agree that they think it makes them superior to someone who actually spends the time and puts effort into something. That's what's blaaaaaatantly not true, if you ask me.

What I want to know is whether I should learn the Viola or violin (what a loaded question... I prefer the sound of a viola, but the violin is smaller... and I like small things... basically, if there are any players out there who can argue why they personally like one more) I know it's a bad question, but my others are all crappier, believe it or not.

What I want to know is whether I should learn the Viola or violin (what a loaded question... I prefer the sound of a viola, but the violin is smaller... and I like small things... basically, if there are any players out there who can argue why they personally like one more) I know it's a bad question, but my others are all crappier, believe it or not.

Violas are slightly bullied in orchestras, but the instrument is unpopular, so it's easier to get admitted to orchestras and stuff. Also, I prefer violas, violins are soooooo common. But you can always start playing the violin and then changing to the viola. Most viola players also play the violin.