The 'Something I always wanted to know the answer to' thread

Vvi

I would argue against both, musicians that play either the viola or violin usually have very bad hearing in the ear closest to the instrument. I was deciding between the violin and flute and picked the flute (I don't have to pay for broken strings and its very small to transport). Also, when you start playing any string instrument you sound horrible with all the screeching and it takes a long time before you sound decent.

I would suggest a small, lightweight woodwind instrument (oboe, clarinet, flute). And although some violinists can play the viola too, it doesn't always work in reverse (the flute has a smaller version, the piccolo, and flutists can't automatically play it). Decide how shrill of a sound you can take (viola is higher in pitch than the violin).

Decide how shrill of a sound you can take (viola is higher in pitch than the violin).

Wrong.

The big problem with the flute is that it is so common so you'll have a lot of concurrents. Personally, I adore clarinets, so go for that. Oboes sound horrible when beginners play them, and then you have to deal with reeds, which can be tedious and annoying. But, oboes sound amazing when someone ply it well.

grade 11 in America actually starts at 16 years old, not 17.

and are American high school diplomas seriously worthless in Europe and the rest of the world?

Yes, because what does it prove? That you finished high school, but there are no results from any externally moderated exams or anything. My school awards everyone a high school diploma if they meet graduation requirements (certain no. of credits, limit to no. of excused absences, etc.) but not everyone gets an IB diploma. Technically, it's possible to get a 45 point diploma in my school but not graduate from high school (if you meet IB requirements but not school ones) :rofl: In Europe, universities want to see evidence of grades like A-levels or IB (or national equivalents) which count for something. Some qualifications have no value (even European ones).

Well you have the A levels and IB and French bac. The Germans have some test too and I'm sure other countries have other similar things. It's not just a diploma to say you've gone to school for 3-4 years, it's a graduating exam that is externally graded and the standard is the same throughout the country.

Wow, k im new here (10 minutes!!!) but i just have one qusetion that i dont know where to dump... so...

k, question:

why do all languages relate emotions with the heart?? like cold hearted, heart broken, heart warming...ect... okay, i admit, they are pretty accurate descriptions, but then why do we feel that way? is it because of some hormon?????

wow great question. i've never thought about that before, but I guess in the dawn of civilization, there was a mass coalition that chose to make the heart the greatest symbol for the soul/feelings/ethics. (not really, and what do I know anyways)

But we always see in literature that "It's never just heart disease." It's symbolic for internal suffering of the character. I don't know who started the trend, but the mind's always been associated with rationality and prudence and the heart's correlated to personality and character.

As for European universities, is there the standard four years for the first degree? We call it bachelors here, but what is a common track that post graduate (post-secondary, I guess?) students take?

In europe there is an ongoing standardizing process for the universities, it is callled the bologna process.

Universities in Europe start with a 3-year bachelor programe, and after that there is most often an option of a 1 or 2 year long Master.

Also if you study 100% you get 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) each year, so a bachelor degreem normally is 180 ECTS in total.

This is done so that it is easier to compare between universities and courses.

There are different kinds of bachelor degrees, but most common are the Bachelor of science (for example, Bachlor of science in International Business Administration, which is what i'll be studying)

and Bachelor of Arts.

From Wikipedia:

"The basic framework adopted is of three cycles of higher education qualification. As outlined in the Bergen Declaration[3] of 2005, the cycles are defined in terms of qualifications and ECTS credits:

* 1st cycle: typically 180−240 ECTS credits, usually awarding a Bachelor's degree.

* 2nd cycle: typically 90−120 ECTS credits (a minimum of 60 on 2nd-cycle level). Usually awarding a Master's degree.

* 3rd cycle: Doctoral degree. No ECTS range given.

In most cases, these will take 3, 2, and 3 years respectively to complete. The actual naming of the degrees may vary from country to country."

Can you elaborated on the french bac?

As for European universities, is there the standard four years for the first degree? We call it bachelors here, but what is a common track that post graduate (post-secondary, I guess?) students take?

Most bachelors degrees in Europe are 3 years in university. The exceptions are if you take joint honours (so like a double major) with one being a language, in which case you spend one extra year abroad (usually 3rd year), or if you go on a work placement abroad for one year (which doesn't count towards credits for the course). In Scotland bachelors degrees are called Masters, and they last 4-5 years. After getting a BA or BSc (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science), some people go on to do a Masters which lasts one year.

There is always the possibility of attending university part time (some people work at the same time), in which case your degree takes twice as long to complete.

If you want to know about the French bac, read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccalaur%C3%A9at . Universities in France are not actually regarded as prestigious because anyone who has gotten their Bac can attend. For medicine students they have exams at the end of first year to determine who gets to go on to study the second year. More prestigious institutions are the "grandes ecoles", which are more selective in who they take.

Can you elaborated on the french bac?

In the french Bac you choose what is called a filière the three most common ones which allow you to pursue your studies at university. These are Bac S, Bac ES and Bac L.

In the Bac S Scientific subjects such as Maths and Sciences are important since they have a high coefficient and count for most of your finl BAC average grade. In all the bacs you still do all the subjects so for instance in the Bac L which is litterature you still do maths and sciences but not at the same standard and doesn't have the same importance as it does in the others filières. Bac ES is the economics bac where humanities and economics are most important. At the end of terminal you do your bac for each subject and your marked out of 20. Anything above 14.5/20 is a seven in IB standard since getting over 14 is so damn bluddy hard. The French Bac is well known so in Europe they just translate the grades and give you an offer based on those grades.

k, question:

why do all languages relate emotions with the heart?? like cold hearted, heart broken, heart warming...ect... okay, i admit, they are pretty accurate descriptions, but then why do we feel that way? is it because of some hormon?????

Originally, thought/feeling was associated with the heart and not the brain, I think. So I guess things just stuck. :)

What is the European equivalent of a high school diploma then? Are those still worthless in Europe?

There are other equivalents to European diplomas, such as the German and Finnish abitur, the French Bac, the Welsh Baccalaureate, the Irish Leaving Certificate and the European Baccalaureate. In the UK individual universities get to decide what qualifications they accept and don't accept. You can see these requirements if you go to www.ucas.com, click "Apply" and then find a course that inetrests you. You click on the course, then "Entry requirements" and there is a long list of qualifications and what universities want you to get in those exams in order for them to accept you.

For example, in order to study Geography at the University of Exeter you must have one of these qualifications and the grades that follow:

-Irish Leaving certificate- AAABB-ABBBC, including Geography at grade A at Honours level and Mathematics and a Science at Ordinary level.

-IB- 29-31 points. 6 points required from Geography at higher level. Award of the Diploma at the appropriate level to include at least two Higher level subjects at grade 4 or above.

-etc. etc. (I won't list them all here, you can check yourself if you are interested in knowing more)

Some UK qualifications/international ones are not valid alone, and must be combined with something else e.g. GCE AS levels, GCE A level Double Award, Diploma in Foundation Studies (Art & Design). Advanced Placement Tests are "Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications".

- How important does someone have to be in order from them to be assassinated and not just murdered?

- Why is it that when you blow in a dog's face, they go crazy. But insist of sticking there head out of the window when in a car?

- Do you know the muffin man?

- Why is it that half the world is dieing from starvation and the other is fighting obesity?

- Do you know the answer to this question?

Hmm. Okay, Wikipedia: Assassination is the targeted killing of a public figure. Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent/malice. And a public figure is...someone who's managed to get their face on TV? Ok, so when I get on TV and get killed, I'll be assassinated.

Maybe dog's don't like our smelly breath. Or how warm it is. Or maybe we're invading their personal space. I guess it's the same as asking "Why don't humans like other people blowing on their faces but like to stand in the wind?"

I have no idea who the muffin man is, but he sounds perverted.

Because our world is a paradox and people can never agree on anything (How to die? Obesity or starvation? Hmmm, which is less painful?)

The answer to all questions is "**** IB".

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I never understood the point of spandex in sports. Why do people (actually I guess it's just girls) where spandex under their regular shorts in sports like soccer? It seems to me that it would just be more uncomfortable.

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I never understood the point of spandex in sports. Why do people (actually I guess it's just girls) where spandex under their regular shorts in sports like soccer? It seems to me that it would just be more uncomfortable.

Are you a guy? Some girls' shorts are kind of short and... inappropriate. :D

There's probably a better reason though.

Edited by Irene