The 'Something I always wanted to know the answer to' thread

Vvi

Lol also, underarmor really helps... um actually i think underarmor is a brand, but it's basically spandex not only in the form of shorts but it's like a skin-tight shirt/pants/whatever-you-need combo. It's easier to get tackled and recover and just weather the elements if you're wearing it. It's pretty amazing for all sports, but especially co-ed sports haha.

If people have such short shorts that they need extra shorts underneath to cover their backsides, why not just get a longer pair of shorts instead? I get the point of Spandex under cheerleading skirts, but not shorts.

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I never understood the point of spandex in sports. Why do people (actually I guess it's just girls) where spandex under their regular shorts in sports like soccer? It seems to me that it would just be more uncomfortable.

It could be a number of reasons. I never wore spandex so I don't know about some of these.

- Could be comfortable

- Need a little extra clothing without increasing weight and volume (So fabric does get in the way of certain things)

- Reduces risk of injuring certain muscles... Like the hamstring.

- And it feel like there wearing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all.

bg8gld.gif

• Like 1

Are you a guy? Some girls' shorts are kind of short and... inappropriate. :panic:

There's probably a better reason though.

Erm no, I'm a girl aha.

I play on a soccer team and see lots of people wearing it under their shorts...I just never understood the point of it but never asked anyone. It makes a lot more sense to me now though, thanks xDD

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I never understood the point of spandex in sports. Why do people (actually I guess it's just girls) where spandex under their regular shorts in sports like soccer? It seems to me that it would just be more uncomfortable.

I wear spandex shorts (or tighter cotton shorts) underneath soccer shorts because it feels too naked for me haha. Soccer shorts are really baggy, if I sit down cross-legged, you can pretty much see all the way up my thigh :panic: , thus the need for shorts underneath.

• 1 month later...

Ok I thought I'll answer to those last 2.

Well on the first one about the waves... I actually think that under the heat of the sun the ground gets so hot that the warm air is moving up from it. So my answer would be warm air moving

Well the fans on laptops usually do have a side entry for air as then it can be cooled when carried on the lap. As you know you can feel the heat getting to your legs after about 1-2 hours of having laptop on your lap. Thats because the entry vent is too small to keep it cool or the temperature on the laptops system has been set quite high 70-80C. And why do they work less efficiently when upside down. Well i think its really because when the laptop is upside down all the air flows over it cooling it. And the sensors in the computer mark it and at some point do stop or start the fan.

Hopefully you got your answer after that long story.

• 1 month later...

Aw lol

The changes in pressure when you fly would cause babies and little children to cry. Your ears hurt because your body's trying to maintain homeostasis. Finally after your ears pop or whatever, you feel better. In the meantime, you grit your teeth while a baby... cries. Also, I'd guess infants' heads are more sensitive? But that's just a guess.

• Like 1

Aw lol

The changes in pressure when you fly would cause babies and little children to cry. Your ears hurt because your body's trying to maintain homeostasis. Finally after your ears pop or whatever, you feel better. In the meantime, you grit your teeth while a baby... cries. Also, I'd guess infants' heads are more sensitive? But that's just a guess.

I like your scientific explanations. However, since the pressure changes during takeoff and landing (that's when I feel the pain), shouldn't they be crying throughout those times and not throughout the entire flight? -_-