Anyone tried pulling an all nighter?

scstdnt

LOL. Thanks for the re-assurance. Somehow I know I will be the same! I am the procrastinating type, but just haven't had that much of a workload yet. A few of my friends' older siblings said that the first few weeks of IB is the most shocking, then you sort of get used to it... I hope it isn't too bad. I'm quite a perfectionist! I usually go to bed at around 11 or 12, though I have a feeling this will soon change.

During my yr1, all nighters had become a part of my life. I would just sleep afterschool and stay up all night. Even during the summer, I've been pulling all nighters to finish my extended essay. It's just that I'm a procrastinator and sleeping after school ensures a satsifactory sleep. I'm starting yr2 in a couple of hours and we'll see how that goes.

LOL. Thanks for the re-assurance. Somehow I know I will be the same! I am the procrastinating type, but just haven't had that much of a workload yet. A few of my friends' older siblings said that the first few weeks of IB is the most shocking, then you sort of get used to it... I hope it isn't too bad. I'm quite a perfectionist! I usually go to bed at around 11 or 12, though I have a feeling this will soon change.

Well I went into IB knowing it was going to be hard. The first day, I got home and looked at my books and thought, "This is it?" [it was about 2 hours worth of stuff.] Yeah it did take getting used to, but I was willing to change my habits [looking back at it, I haven't really changed]. I worked super hard the first month or so, and then I started lazing. But never enough so that my grades suffered irreparably.

During my yr1, all nighters had become a part of my life. I would just sleep afterschool and stay up all night. Even during the summer, I've been pulling all nighters to finish my extended essay. It's just that I'm a procrastinator and sleeping after school ensures a satsifactory sleep. I'm starting yr2 in a couple of hours and we'll see how that goes.

tehe. I kinda know what you mean. I tried the nap thing, but I never adjusted to it. My trick was going to sleep at a normal time and then waking up anywhere from 3-6am, depending on how much homework I had left. I don't know how I'll manage time this year.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the final year of my IB diploma and I've never pulled an all nighter. The latest I go to bed is at 11:15pm. I think the key to preventing an all nighter is to not leave things to the last minute. The way I see it is, If I get a good night's sleep I'll be in better health and i'll learn better, and i'll be wayyyy less cranky.

I pulled an all nighter on the last night of Term two (IB1) to finish my Economics assignments. It was really annoying because I had finished them completely the week before, yet my teacher insisted that they be handwritten. Mine were a total of 11'000 words so it really really sucked. Then the next morning the head of IB eco at my school told me that we could just hand them in typed. FML. I was awake for a total of 39 hours. FML.

• 1 month later...

Yah, I agree. People keep on saying that they study better and more effeciently in the night, but personally, if I try to get comfortable, I doze off without knowing. And I understand cramming for English, History, and other tests, and especially staying up late for projects, but my Math teacher told me that if you stay up late studying for math and don't get enough sleep, your porblem-solving skills aren't at its highest potential by the time of the test.

I slept for like 2-4 hours once, but I never really pulled a true all-nighter, at least for school :D

I've had several quasi-all nighters where I fall asleep for about 20-30 minutes - generally for HL Portfolios and the like. Um, I pulled a real all-nighter to write my EE Rough Draft because it kind of came down to that... :P But I was happy with it - although my conclusion written at 6 AM was not very good...

• 2 months later...

Haha, I haven't really pulled an all-nighter. The closest I've been to one was for a couple of chem lab reports, I slept for 2-3 hours. But I have a friend who pulled all-nighters every single time we had to hand in any work... the next morning she would call me to print it for her because she had run out of ink :study: .

I love that the essential answer to this thread is "Who hasn't?"

I'm a terrible procrastinator but I generally try to avoid all-nighters; even one or two hours of sleep is better than not sleeping at all for me (though it's really hard to wake up :D). I hear it's actually supposed to be possible to have a functional sleep cycle if you keep up with your homework ahead of time :)

• 3 weeks later...

every night is an all nighter for me. i go to sleep between 1 and 2:30am, then get up with the freshness of 5:21am. my IB career is a total nightmare. but i graduate this year...w00t! w00t! :coffee: to stay up i drink lots of coffee and eat popsicles. or if not then i smoke intermittently.

I'm not even in IB yet and I've had several pseudo-all-nighters already. There's been a few nights with one hour of sleep, a few more of two hours, and three and four hours are both quite plentiful. My average is probably five to six hours, though.

I do remember sleeping at 5 on a Sunday night (because I'd woken up late and couldn't fall asleep) and waking at 6, and for the rest of the day, I was incredibly energetic. I had PE that day and I ran quite comfortably. On Tuesday, though, the tiredness kicked in.

Hm. I've never had to pull all nighters, the latest I've gone to sleep was probably 12:30 in the morning - I normally get at least six hours sleep a night, and I still get pretty okay grades. I do know of heaps of people who do pull all nighters every night though.