(TOK Presentation) Feedback/Advice/Help?

Mudkipz?

I have started brainstorming topics for my TOK presentation, and I am currently trying to decide over "Euthanasia" or something along the lines of "To what extent does advertising effect our perception and should we worried about its consequences for the future?".

I want to incorporate perception into both of these topics (since my teacher is anti-ethics), but I am having a hard time grasping the knowledge issue Perception. I was wondering if someone could (breifly is fine) explain to me what exactly it is? And also, tell me which of my topics I would have an easier time researching/drafting a TOK presentation from it. THANKS! :D

Perception = in short, any information gained through your 5 senses. Unless you have a 6th sense :D

Perception is a WAY of knowing, unlike ethics which is an AREA of knowledge, and it's not a knowledge issue in itself. I just thought I'd mention that. I can't see how you could really get perception into Euthanasia - for me, at the least, it's not the physically seeing somebody choose to euthanise themselves, it's the emotions I feel about it, and to some small extent the way I reason it through. Therefore I would personally not examine the role of perception in gaining knowledge about euthanasia at all -- if anything, do emotion or reason. Otherwise I suspect you'll find it hard to come up with content.

As for your other proposed question, if you want to use it to relate back to TOK's idea of perception, you'll hopefully realise that as perception is the WAY of knowing, your question perhaps doesn't quite follow through.

"To what extent does advertising effect our perception and should we worried about its consequences for the future?" (for a rather picky start, it ought to be 'affect'!) might perhaps be better phrased as "to what extent does advertising manipulate/take advantages of/ appeal to our use of perception?". The presentation actually can't be more than 15 (or 20, I can't remember!) minutes long, and take care to stay within the limit as you are penalised otherwise, so if you're going to look at a range of examples (I dunno... food adverts or something along those lines) and discuss their implications, that might be enough.

I actually think that either of those would make a good topic, if approached in the right way. :D

Perception = in short, any information gained through your 5 senses. Unless you have a 6th sense :D

Perception is a WAY of knowing, unlike ethics which is an AREA of knowledge, and it's not a knowledge issue in itself. I just thought I'd mention that. I can't see how you could really get perception into Euthanasia - for me, at the least, it's not the physically seeing somebody choose to euthanise themselves, it's the emotions I feel about it, and to some small extent the way I reason it through. Therefore I would personally not examine the role of perception in gaining knowledge about euthanasia at all -- if anything, do emotion or reason. Otherwise I suspect you'll find it hard to come up with content.

As for your other proposed question, if you want to use it to relate back to TOK's idea of perception, you'll hopefully realise that as perception is the WAY of knowing, your question perhaps doesn't quite follow through.

"To what extent does advertising effect our perception and should we worried about its consequences for the future?" (for a rather picky start, it ought to be 'affect'!) might perhaps be better phrased as "to what extent does advertising manipulate/take advantages of/ appeal to our use of perception?". The presentation actually can't be more than 15 (or 20, I can't remember!) minutes long, and take care to stay within the limit as you are penalised otherwise, so if you're going to look at a range of examples (I dunno... food adverts or something along those lines) and discuss their implications, that might be enough.

I actually think that either of those would make a good topic, if approached in the right way. :D

Our presentations are only 10 minutes long, which is different to what everybody else is doing apparently. But thank you so much for your reply, haha helps me out a lot! I think I might end up going with advertising since that interests me a lot more than euthanasia. It's going to take a bit of research to come up with examples of the affect of perception through advertising, but I feel it'll be 'worthwhile' when I get a good grade on my TOK presentation :D

Jolly good :D

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq...spelling/affect

^^ affect and effect explained :D

Affect is only to either pretend to have a certain mannerism or quality (e.g. "he affected an air of superiority") or to alter something. Something can be affected, but whatever has caused it to become affected has had an 'effect' on that object, not an 'affect', because 'affect' isn't a noun, only ever a verb :D

When effect is a verb, it means something has been done. "We effected the alterations", for instance. It's kinda complicated, but if you're doing English you might want to clear it up in your mind. TBH when you're conscious of how it's used around you, you tend to get the hang of it in no time, and that's the best way to work it out!

Sorry about that, just figured I'd explain it! Good luck with your presenation, anyway :)