Math HL All TZ - Papers 1 + 2 ONLY (MAY09)

The Truth

For TZ2: Paper 1 was not too bad, probably slightly harder than 2008 but I was happy because I'd studied hard, did pretty well. Paper 2 was the silliest exam I've ever taken. I felt section A was perhaps slightly harder than usual (though maybe it's my fault, I'm no good at probability and, especially permutation combination stuff), but section B, well, what can you say when you instantly lose 17 marks? And waste 5 minutes figuring out what they were asking in the ridiculous circle diagram. And drawing (not sketching, drawing) the silly graph that just wasted more time for little points. I went from optimism to disgust over the period of my two math exams.

For TZ2: Paper 1 was not too bad, probably slightly harder than 2008 but I was happy because I'd studied hard, did pretty well. Paper 2 was the silliest exam I've ever taken. I felt section A was perhaps slightly harder than usual (though maybe it's my fault, I'm no good at probability and, especially permutation combination stuff), but section B, well, what can you say when you instantly lose 17 marks? And waste 5 minutes figuring out what they were asking in the ridiculous circle diagram. And drawing (not sketching, drawing) the silly graph that just wasted more time for little points. I went from optimism to disgust over the period of my two math exams.

I totally agree with you. Paper 1 was really easy, though I found the last exercise of Section B hard (complex numbers). I think that paper 2 was really hard and quite long. Moreover, section B was frustrating. I did well in the first exercise (normal distribution and Poisson) but from the second one I can only guarantee 3 marks. =S Now it's time to study even harder for paper 3.

Yeah they sure were...'lets see what screws the kids up more P1 (in TZ1) or P2 (in TZ2)"....and then they had their controlled variables/dependent/independent :(:(

More like "let's see what makes kids cry more". Having a good P1 then having a horrible P2 or having their confidence destroyed by P1... then writing P2.

I wonder how many people cried. :D

All i have to say about this topic is.... what was with paper 2 TZ2?!?! That's what i call a slap in the face.

What did others think?

I totally know what you mean... Math has never been one of my strenghts but those exams were completely out of question. I felt soooooo stupid.

I personally found q12 and q13 of section B p2tz2 ridiculous...and i've heard that for q13 'showing' does not mean using the GDC but literally showing the long winded solutions? Btw, what did your teachers say about the paper? Mine found it extremely hard as well...

Paper 1 easy, paper 2-no comment (wth Q12?!) (TZ2)

Don't have a clue about series and diff. equations and I'm doing it in 3 hours... =/

6 hours here. :P Ugh, I hate it when they combine stuff with arc-whatever... which they will do judging by how P1 TZ1 went. :P

Good luck, everyone!!

Edited by Irene

I'm happy to see that i'm not the only one who thought both paper one and 2 were....really (i almost used another word here....but consider this censorship) difficult. I kinda' screwed up paper 1 because i didn't really do much in section B. On the mocks we did before they didn't have exercises with so many points (22) so i didn't really checked. I therefore spent a lot of time on section A and kind of didn't have any time left for section B.

In paper 2 I changed my strategy. I started with the ones with many points....didn't really have time to finish them properly and wasn't left with much time for the smaller ones. Ah....

Don't we just love maths HL?

The same thing here.. P2 TZ2 was really hard esp the section B questions..

I seriously think that 2 hours is not enough for this paper.... Plus that we have to draw a scaled graph on the graph paper...

I never found any question like this in the past years... Its like the first time such question is asked..

and like everyone else, I just left out the 18 marks questions... I cant even make a start... I thought I am the only one who find it hard, but I'm not alone..Some of my friends even cry after the exam...

A math genius in my school manage to answer the question (he is really good in math...usually, he only lose about 3-5 marks out of the 120 marks in both P1 and P2). But he admit that the question was pretty hard...