Swine flu

Haney

I actually just got over the swine flu. I wasn't admitted into a hospital or anything because, like it was stated above, in reality, I am not going to die of it. They will not even confirm that it's swine flu (99.9% sure though!) because they're only testing those under 5 years or over 65 or anyone with another fatal disease such as HIV or cancer. It's nothing to worry about, even if you catch it, if you're pretty much healthy. I felt pretty horrible for about 5 days, now it's gone and I'm as good as new. :]

Just for knowledge, the swine flu is considered a "pandemic" which means it's very pervasive. An "epidemic" is where a large population has died from it.

I actually just got over the swine flu. I wasn't admitted into a hospital or anything because, like it was stated above, in reality, I am not going to die of it. They will not even confirm that it's swine flu (99.9% sure though!) because they're only testing those under 5 years or over 65 or anyone with another fatal disease such as HIV or cancer. It's nothing to worry about, even if you catch it, if you're pretty much healthy. I felt pretty horrible for about 5 days, now it's gone and I'm as good as new. :]

Just for knowledge, the swine flu is considered a "pandemic" which means it's very pervasive. An "epidemic" is where a large population has died from it.

are you serious?

anyway, i live in hong kong, which was the epicenter of the SARS disease.

So, as you may expect, people are extremely scared over here.

we got our first local case today, and so the schools are now closed.

they'll reopen on wednesday for most of us, i think.

so yeah, its not like 28 days later or anything, but people are pretty freaked out

they don't really eat pork anymore and always wear face masks

swine flu to me means...a week off school

it's not actually that big of a deal - the school down the road got it but no one really seemed to care, in fact half the people in our school WANTED swine flu. the symptoms are actually nicer than normal flu so as long as you take care of yourself it's not life threatening as far as i know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Swine flu is getting pretty big on the news, and I'm wondering- what do people think about it? There's been a few slightly conflicting representations depending on where I get the info - i.e. how treatable it is, if it'll become a world epidemic...etc. What do you think about it?

The word to use instead of world epidemic is pandemic ( it comes from a greek word :P )

Edited by Smid

Seeing as this topic has come up, I thought I'd contribute the fact that I have now officially had swine flu! I felt dead tired for 4 days and had a pretty epic sore throat, but fortunately my immune system beat it down. I think I caught it in Ibiza. All my friends who went on the trip had it too (although they had a more full-blown version). Depends who you are as to how severe it is, but everybody I know recovered from it in 4-5 days and is right as rain again. I'm glad to have got it out the way, I guess! :P

I had a similar experience.

I am just getting over Swine flu and my whole family had it. The only person they officially tested was my mum who is asthmatic and diabetic. For the rest of us they were 99% sure and we were all given a week of quarantine. Me and my mum have had the worst of it, with our asthma, but the doctor was really casual about it. She was like, 'yeah, you have the swine flu, here's a week off.' They aren't testing anyone unless they fit the same criteria as you listed (age, fatal disease etc.) here in Aus either. None of us were hospitalised or anything and we all survived. I think the main reason people are freaking out is because it catches pretty easy. But it's just the flu.

Oh cool, I just went to the clinic this morning because I got 37.9 Celcius.

The doctor gave me normal flu medicine and told me to go back and rest. It doesn't seem so severe as the media has broadcasted.

Oh, yah, and I did not have to go through any H1N1 test, so yah I think you are right when saying that noone will be tested unless they got fatal diseases already. XD

So, yah relax, people.

My friend and her family came over from the States to visit Shanghai (where I live) a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen her in three years and they stayed in Shanghai for two weeks. Of course, I didn't get to hang out with my friend until one week after she'd been here on account of her being quarantined. She sat behind some kid who had a temperature on the plane and they had to be quarantined for a week, meaning she missed half her holiday, really. It's understandable about wanting to keep swine flu from spreading, so I guess I understand why she was "locked up"...but it still didn't make me very happy XD

Edited by Flippy

I live in Florida, and it was gone out of people's mind for a while, but now its back.

The week of school during that time of the hype, it was terrible. The teachers refused contact, and a lot of kids with symptoms were shunned :)

There was a person with flu Symptoms and later found to have swine flu that was found in a lunchroom shared between two schools (they share it), and they marked both schools as "swine-flu infected".

Personally it was a wonderful time for me. The schools announced any student who was absent had the privilege of staying at home, and I ended up taking a week off O________O

As for now, I work in the hospital, and no one there worries about it. Its a passive thought for them.

However the news has recently started with crap about how some girl died in the middle of the states, and also their son, so people are back to fearing things.

I really do hate though the fact that its present, cause I take so many patients around all day long. So if anyone was to get it, it would be me, but I highly doubt it would happen. The hospital worries over things like Marz or Mars, the disease found in hospitals, not about flues.

There is sign though that says if you have flu symptoms you will be asked to wear a mask to protect other patients.

Oh and I bite my nails in the hospital. Horrible, horrible, horrible thing to do!!!

I also think the news stations have been notified not to spread the news about it anymore. Or as much. As a policy of "lets not make the country freak out and go crazy".

Edited by biochem

There have been a couple of outbreaks of swine flu over here. As I read in the local news, two Indians who came here have been diagnosed with swine flu. I'm also being wary of the flu because I go out to the mall quite a lot and our school is full of expat teachers and students. I also travel a lot so that could largely influence my relationship with swine flu. I have the normal flu and I'm a bit scared. What's the difference between swine flu and regular flu?

There have been a couple of outbreaks of swine flu over here. As I read in the local news, two Indians who came here have been diagnosed with swine flu. I'm also being wary of the flu because I go out to the mall quite a lot and our school is full of expat teachers and students. I also travel a lot so that could largely influence my relationship with swine flu. I have the normal flu and I'm a bit scared. What's the difference between swine flu and regular flu?

Where it comes from and how likely you are to die from it xP Swine flu is actually less problematic than seasonal flu in terms of actual deaths/complications arising from it. It's just that swine flu is new, we know less about it and it's very contagious. The risks of problems are actually higher for "normal" flu.

• Like 1

I'm just about recovered from swine flu myself.. Basically knocks you out for 4-5 days.. Feeling better today, but still have a pretty bad stomach ache, and various other minor ailments (joint pains, light headedness, and just generally weak!). For most people, it's basically just a different version of the flu, which means that although it's a pain, it's not deadly!

Just means you have to be in bed for a few days...

To be honest, unless there are complications, you'll never know the different between swine flu and regular flu. The main difference is that swine flu seems to be less "seasonal". It's very rare for people to get regular flu during the summer -_- .

The virus is only a big hype because of the fact that its a strain that's mutable.

But I think that means, it has "jumped" the mutable state, and wont go affecting every species. Its one large jump and back to square one, being that it will stay effecting humans only. And just that, the jump was into our pool of population, not another type of animal like birds (we have bird flu for that :().

It is a bit scary. But with time it will run its course and melt out. Anyone with a weak immune system is at risk because we, for obvious reasons, cannot defend against a newly explosive strain.