A1 Mandarin, Korean, Vietnamese, Russian, German, Norwegian, Spanish

CDA

Hi all,

My school will offer A1 in these languages next year. I am recruting and hiring for literature and language instructors and would like to be able to provide them with as much guidance as possible when they are putting together their syllabi, currciulum, and book lists. If anyone has a program for any of these languages/literatures that they would like to share with a new international school, please share :) All suggestions are welcome. I have already download all I can on this topic from the OCC. Thank you kindly in advance for your help. We are thrilled to be able to develop our IB program in this way.

We have norwegian A1 at our school. I might have misunderstood your post, but did you want more or less a list of what we have done this year? Curriculum and such? I have attached a file with all the names of which novels, short stories and poems we did. It is in norwegian. I presume that since you will offer norwegian A1 someone knows how to read it.

I'll be more than happy to translate it or give more specific details if you'd like ... ?

PENSUM I NORSK 2008.doc

Thank you so much for your help for Norwegian! I will download the book list and pass it on to our Norwegian teacher. Any other tips are welcome as she is new to IB and Norwegian is new to our school. Again, thank you kindly.

Ok I remember vaguely glancing at my school's Viet A1 booklist back in my IB1 year which was...2005 :P so I can't say much about it (I did English A1 btw). But what I do know is that there is a prescribed list of authors for World Lit and A1 texts that teachers should have access to. Basically every text you do in A1 (except in Part IV - School's free choice) must be by an author from these prescribed list (there's a separate list for WL text and a separate list for the text in the A1 Language). So I think you should somehow get your hand on those lists. I'm pretty sure they should be available in the Online Curriculumn Centre.

That said, after some time on :D I did manage to find the booklist for Vietnamese A1 at the British International School in Ho Chi Minh City, who apparently only offer it at SL.

Part 1 : World Literature

Romeo and Juliet (by Shakespeare)

Một con người ra đời (A Baby Was Born) – by Maxim Gorki

Đám tang Lão Gorio (The Funeral of Sir Gorio) by Honore de Balzac

[i remember the Viet A1 class above me did Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea]

Part 2 : Individual oral commentary

Nhật ký trong tù (Prison Diary) - by Hồ Chí Minh (surprise surprise ^_^ )

Vợ chồng A Phủ (A Phu Couple) - by Tô Hoài

Part 3: Exam text (I guess their genre is prose)

Mợ Du (Madam Du) by Nguyên Hồng

Những cuộc phiêu lưu của Tom Sawyer (Adventures of Tom Sawyer) by Mark Twain

Giông Tố (Troubles in Life) by Vũ Trọng Phụng

Part 4: Individual oral presentation

Poems by Xuân Diệu (Thơ Duyên, Đây Mùa Thu Tới, Vội Vàng)

Poems about the autumn by Nguyễn Khuyến(Thu Vịnh, Thu Điếu, Thu Ẩm)

Russian Poet – Puskin (his life and his works)

Other suggestions: Truyện Kiều by Nguyễn Du. I'm surprised they're not doing it, it's like the must-have work in any Vietnamese literature course.

Actually Sorrow of War by Bảo Ninh (Viet title: Nỗi buồn chiến tranh) is a WL title for languages other than Vietnamese, I'm not sure whether it's on the prescribed list for Vietnamese but I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's not even banned in Vietnam anymore.

I haven't written a mini-EE-length post in a while :blush:

And I just realised after typing all this up that Aquarius does Viet A1 at BIS, I could have just asked him instead of wasting 10 minutes on Google.

Thank you kindly Ruan Chun Xian. You have been extremely helpful. I hope to repay the favour soon :)

also, i have tried downloarding the Norwegian booklist, but cannot seem to. I have contacted the site administrator and hopefully can do so soon.

Again, we are very appreciative and looking forward to developing succesful A1 programs in our school and growing our multicultural faculty and student body.

You can't download because downloading in this forum is restricted to VIP only. Here it is copied out.

Del 1: Verdenslitteratur

Essay: Du skal skrive et essay der du sammenligner to eller tre av disse verkene.

20%: For både HL og SL

1)Suskind: Parfymen 1985)

2)Allende: Åndenes hus (1982)

3)Tunstrøm: Juleoriatoriet

Del 2: Sjangerstudie

Internal assessment: Disse bøkene blir lagt til grunn for det du skal prøves i til muntlig eksamen. Intern vurdering og ekstern moderering

15%: Dette er en del av Internal assessment, såkalt individual oral commentary. Det er en individuell muntlig eksamen som blir tatt opp på kassett og som varer i ca 15 min.

1)Drama: Ibsen:Peer Gynt

2)Roman: Borgen Lillelord

3)Noveller: Cora Sandel

4: Lyrikk: Norske dikt i 1000 år

Del 3 Romanen

Disse verkene er grunnlag for skriftlig eksamen. Du vil da få oppgaver der du skal gjøre greie for tema, hovedpersoner, virkemiddel med mer. Du skal sammenligne to av bøkene. 50%

Skriftlig eksamen er delt i to.

Paper 1: (25%) Du skal skrive en kommentar til en helt ukjent tekst.

Paper 2: (25%) Du skal skrive et essay som bygger på de bøkene som står oppført i denne delen.

1)Hamsun: Pan

2)Kielland: Garman og Worse

3)Bjørneboe: Haiene

4)Coetze: Vanære

Del 4: School`s own choice

Disse verkene skal brukes som utgangspunkt for skolens interne vurdering. Dette er del 2 av Internal assesment, og er det som blir kalt individual oral presentation. Den delen blir du ferdig med til jul 2008.

Tema: Lengsel og oppbrudd

1) Kielland Gift

2) Gulldronning, perledronning

3) Tiller: Skråninga

4) Safran Foer: Ekstremt høyt og utrolig nært

I'm currently doing Korean A1 as my actual subject and English A1 just to learn english more. (I go to the english A1 classes but it doesn't count for ib or anything and my language B is english.)

From what I understand, they're very similar.. I'm not sure about IAs because I don't know 'every'thing for english A1 but so far, they did the same thing that i'm doing for korean.

Pretty sure the IB coordinator can help you better.

I'm currently doing Korean A1 as my actual subject and English A1 just to learn english more. (I go to the english A1 classes but it doesn't count for ib or anything and my language B is english.)

From what I understand, they're very similar.. I'm not sure about IAs because I don't know 'every'thing for english A1 but so far, they did the same thing that i'm doing for korean.

Chances are the OP is the IBC. He's certainly not a student!

Chances are the OP is the IBC. He's certainly not a student!

I was thinking that he might be other IB teacher. but not coordinator.

come to think about it, even if thats the case, he must have been talking with his IBC anyway. :) my bad

I'm sorry for not quoting both of you and Hien (lack of time, again, sorry!)

Yes, the booklist posted in my school's website (Thanks, Hien ^^) is not the exactly the one I'm doing atm. It does not matter anyway, since I believe you can easily double check with the IBO. My school also offers Madarin & Korean A1, and I will ask if I can get the soft copy of the current booklist (likely to change for every batch then) in these languages for you.

To Hien: It's a bit out of interest, but my group is the first Viet SL group at BIS (earlier there was all HL, I know, surprising!!!). And yes, it's a shame that we can not read Truyen Kieu, only for HL but no one takes it this year, another surprise! Actually it was my fault, I persuaded the only Viet HL student to switch to hateful loveable Maths HL. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing Chinese A1 now, but different schools have different choices.

World Literature

Pride and Prejudice

Wuthering Height

Tess

Chinese Literature

Jia- by Bajin

Luotuo Xiangzi (the man and the camel)-by Lao She

Weicheng (Fortress Besieged) - by Qian Zhongshu

Oral commentary

始得西山宴游记, 小石潭记,娇娜,促织,捕蛇者说 and etc

oral presentation

死水

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA

I guess my school will no longer be the only one in the country offering Vietnamese A1 :P. For the past four years, my school has had a 100% pass rate on the Vietnamese A1 SL test (it's not offered in HL), and I've glanced over some of the reading materials since I'm going to take the course next year for my bilingual diploma. I'm not sure if the works are part of the IB curriculum, but they have surely proven to help the students taking the course at my school thus far. From what I recall, the readings are a mixture of traditional Vietnamese works as well as translated English works. Sadly, I only remember a few of the works from the list: Của Chuột và Người (Of Mice and Men), Romeo and Juliet, The Iliad, Hồn Bướm Mơ Tiên, Rừng Mắm, and at least 10-20 other works (many of them are fairly short and only require a few days to go over). The latter two were used during the individual oral commentary. Aside from going over the works, I suggest you tie in a bit of Vietnamese culture (like holidays and traditions), as it might be beneficial on the test. For example, one of the essays that a former Vietnamese class had to write was a comparison between traditional and modern Vietnamese women.

For the past four years, my school has had a 100% pass rate on the Vietnamese A1 SL test (it's not offered in HL)

Haha that's seriously not hard considering Viet A1 is one of the easiest subject to get a 7 in.

That, however, is not the point of this post. I just want to point out how the translation of the title "Of Mice and Men" always makes me laugh. It just sounds so silly in Viet. Maybe that's just me. :P

First of all I have to say that I´m impressed fro the number of A1 Languges you'll have a t your school. I´m doing Spanish A1, and this is What we did the first two semesters:

Literatura Española

Bodas de Sangre (Play)

San Manuel Bueno Martir

Ficciones

Literatura Mundial

Madame Bovary

Mujer en Punto Cero

Todo se Derrumba

Antigona (Play)

Also, as far as I know, next semester we will read "Cien años de soledad" or "Cronicas de un muerte anunciada", both by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. In poetry we will read something by Octavio Paz most likely.

Hope it Helps

• 2 months later...

I'm doing A1 Spanish and the texts are:

Oral Presentation

-Todos los Fuegos el Fuego - Julio Cortazar

-Ceremonia Secreta - Marco Denevi

-El llano en llamas - Juan Rulfo

+ El extraño caso de Dr Jekyll y Mr Hyde - R. L. Stevenson

Oral Commentary

-Ficciones -Jorge Luis Borges

-La Vida es Sueño - Pedro Calderon de la Barca

-La lluvia amarilla - Julio Llamazares

World Literature

-La visita de la vieja dama -F Durrenmatt

-Hamlet -W Shakespeare

-Medea -Sofocles

-El extraño caso del Dr Jekyll y Mr Hyde

Exam

-Pedro Paramo -Juan Rulfo

-Requiem de un campesino español -Ramon J Sender

-Los santos inocentes -Miguel Delibes

+ La naranja mecanica -Anthony Burgess

• 1 year later...

I am currently taking Mandarin Self-Taught A1 and here is the book list.

Part1: World literature (This section has been completed!)

 1. Miss Julie by August Strindberg - Drama

 2. by Ariel Death and the Maiden Dorfman - Drama

 3. Kiss of a Spiderwoman by Manue Puig – Drama

Part 2: Detailed study

1. 《孔雀东南飞》 (汉乐府) Kongquedongnanfei (Hanyuefu) - Poem

2. 《窦娥冤》(关汉卿)Doueyuan(Guanhanqing) – Drama

Part3: Group of works

1. 《围成》(钱钟书)Weicheng(Qianzhongshu) - Novel

2. 《家》(巴金)Jia(Bajin) - Novel

3. World lit: .Animal Farm (George Orwell) – Novel

Part 4:School free choice

1. 《边城》(沈从文)Biancheng(Shengcongwen) - Novel

2. 《雷雨》(曹禺)Leiyu(Caoyu) - Drama

3. World Lit: The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) – Novel

the teacher in our school asked us to find the Chinese books ourselves while she provided the English books for us.

I hope this help :)

• Like 1

I am doing Chinese A1 now, but different schools have different choices.

World Literature

Pride and Prejudice

Wuthering Height

Tess

Chinese Literature

Jia- by Bajin

Luotuo Xiangzi (the man and the camel)-by Lao She

Weicheng (Fortress Besieged) - by Qian Zhongshu

Oral commentary

始得西山宴游记, 小石潭记,娇娜,促织,捕蛇者说 and etc

oral presentation

死水

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA

I read 家 recently, so if you want to, I would like to share ideas with you about this book, so we can both get a deeper understanding about this story.

:)