How does IB test us on the specific texts we've read in class?

Different schools read different texts in class.

So, I was wondering if the main purpose of those texts is to help us with the lecture part of our exam/teach new writing styles etc. or if IB actually tests us on these specific texts in some way...

I read the A2 languages syllabus & didn't find anything about testing on specific texts read in class.

So, I was wondering if the content of the texts/ specific vocabulary of the texts we read is completely irrelevant as far as IB exams are concenered...

I take French B SL.

Are you talking about the texts that come up on the French B external exam? Since you're SL, there aren't any literary texts there; all the texts are articles or brochures/guides that related factual information/talk about youth programs, etc. You have no way of knowing what will come up on the exam. If your teacher has been making you read texts in French class, their purpose is to prepare you for the different styles of text and vocabulary that come up on the exams. Their content isn't relevant to the exams, but the act of reading them helps to prepare you for reading the texts quickly in the exam and identifying information fast. There are multiple-choice questions on the purpose of the text/its intended audience, and you usually have to identify a specific phrase/synonym for a word, but those can be figured out through the context of the etxt and don't require you to know specific vocabulary.

Thanks!

That's what I thought :)

For example, we're reading 'Le Comte de Monte-Cristo' in class.

For that, we have to learn specific volcabulary which pertains to ships, etc.

I think that vocabulary would be useful nevertheless so that's fine XD

Also, I was a bit unsure because in English A1, we actually use the works studied in class for the IAs whereas it didn't seem that way for French.

Edited by y.v

• 2 months later...

I've attended an IB seminar and this is what they had to say:

For Language A2, you do have to study the texts and your texts are important because you'll have to use one text from the literary options for one of the written tasks. The other written task is based on what you learnt from the cultural option units. In your paper 2 (whose nature is loosely similar to that of the Language A1 paper 2), you get to choose between the cultural option questions and the literary option questions. The literary option questions are based on what you've learned in class therefore you have to refer your books.

However, for Language B this is not the case. The books you read in Language B HL is merely just to get you exposed to different registers and styles of the target language. You get random texts in your Paper 1 and these don't usually relate to your texts.

Hope this helped.