Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

Ruan Chun Xian

Well, since Lc wanted to "rant" about HP7 and she can't find me online, I thought I might as well give her a place to rant. :blink:

Really, so who has read (and finished) it?

I don't have so much of a rant as a rave.

Spoiler - Click me!
 First impression: The events moved so fast! The whole book, really, rushed. But I guess it sets the pace - it was a war, everything moved quickly.

The deaths:

Hedwig was shocking, especially all everyone's been speculating about had been human death.

Mad Eye was expected, it was appropriate how he died in battle.

Snape - again, expected. But I half expected him to turn out evil after all when all through the book there was no clue of him being remotely good. But the chapter with the memories was enlightening, if somewhat expected. The Snape-loves-Lily story line had been pondered for too many years.

Fred - well, I expected a Weasley to die. But Fred? I guess it makes sense. George has already suffered - he lost his ear. It's like he's losing one of things that goes in pair.

Dobby - I can't believe Dobby died. He's so cute,he's not supposed to die!!

Lupin - I CANNOT believe she killed Lupin. I was devastated. I would had bawled my eyes out if I wasn't on the plane. And Tonks as well!!! *cries*

But I can understand why. The Marauder generation had all died. It was the time for a new generation to start a new life. But poor Teddy though. At least he'll have a nice childhood than Harry. The scene where Harry called back his parents, Sirius and Remus with the Resurrecting Stone was very touching. *sniff*

Romances:

I loved the Ron Hermione kiss!! But is it just me or are the kissing scenes described in a little too many details? *s******s* But really, children's book?

Loved this quote: "Our Teddy! Teddy Lupin! Snogging our Victoire! Our cousin!" LMAO

Horcruxes:

It was great that it wasn't only Harry who destroyed them. Go Neville with killing Nagini!! I was so frustrated when Harry was going around looking for the diadem. I was banging my head against the book. As soon as they mentioned the diadem as a Hocrux everyone had to know that the theory about it being in the Room of Requirement was true. It was so damn frustrating till he gets there though.

Harry as Horcrux: Interesting...both expected and not. But what the heck was that baby thing at King's Cross? Maybe a representation of what Voldemort was before the graveyard scene in Book 4 when he got his body back?

Stuff:

The amount of swear words was interesting and unexpected. Especially coming from Hermione and Mrs Weasley!

Percy - oh I knew it!! I knew the reconciliation would come!! And hilarious at that!

At least we now know Bill's name is William and not Bilius. On the other hand, my copy says Hermione Jean. What happened to Hermione Jane as Jo said once?

One thing I love about this book is that the humour - just little quirky expressions or little jokes - are weaved directly in with the tragedy. Fred's death was immediately preceded by Percy's joke, for example. It makes you smile and laugh even when you know more tragedy is coming.

And the flitting between Harry and Voldemort's points of views (or really...both of them) kind of shows how closely connected to Voldemort Harry is.

Honestly I was disappointed with how little a role Ginny played. She didn't particularly shine anywhere.

But Neville was absolutely brilliant!! I love Neville. And yes!! He teaches Herbology!!

Ok, all the stuff about Dumbledore was unexpected but nor entirely surprising. It all sums up to: He's not perfect.

I thought the title was a bit...I don't know, it didn't seem to cover the whole book and plot. I mean, the DHs were one thing, but it wasn't what the whole book revolved around.

What was the big supposed "secret" about Harry's eyes? JKR did say once that there was something significant about Harry's eyes.

Oh and I just reread the book last night and realised (didn't realise it before) that Neville got Gryfifndor's sword out of the sorting hat the exact same way that Harry did in Chamber. That was an interesting touch, I think.

People say this book is predictable. RAB, Snape, Snape loves Lily,Harry as Horcrux. All this has been talked about before. But really,what did you expect? Some solution pulled out of thin air? It was along series, she had to lay clues along the way. Of course people willguess things and some are bound to get it right. The thing is, sheplanned this waaaay before it got this popular. If it wasn't this muchof a phenonmenon, a person would just read and then wonder and thenwait for the next book. All these theories came from people feeding offeach other, someone mention a possibility then it is built upon to formthis huge theory. Of course somewhere in there, with that many peopleguessing, they'll get it right, considering the numbers of clues laid.

The epilogue was cheesy. Incredibly cheesy. The Malfoys have a thing for weird names. What kind of a name is Scorpius?? Albus Severus is cheesy. I mean, honestly...it rhymes for goodness' sake!! But the name that made me laugh was Hugo. (Hugo????) Rose could just be JKR's particular liking for flower names, I don't know. I think JKR chose to name Harry's kids after dead people because she ran out of names or something...I remember reading somewhere once that now that the books are so popular she had to be especially careful with naming characters, choosing names with no particular reference to anything, especially after the Mark Evans fiasco.

But I wanted to know what happened to Luna, what Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny did for jobs, what happened to the rest of the family! What happened to the relationship between the trio and Draco? He seemed cordial enough to them! I mean, the epilogue hardly says anything!

All in all, though, it was good. I think it's a book that's like HBP. It improves on rereadings. I think it will definitely make it to the top half of my ordering of the book in terms of enjoyment.

[Close]

Spoiler - Click me!

Oh and I just reread the book last night and realised (didn't realise it before) that Neville got Gryfifndor's sword out of the sorting hat the exact same way that Harry did in Chamber. That was an interesting touch, I think.

it's ironic actually, because Vodly thought neville was the "chosen one" or what ever the hell she called it :lol: , that's why he killed his parents. So it's ironic that he got rid of one of the horcruxes and drew the sword just like Harry.

What was the big supposed "secret" about Harry's eyes? JKR did say once that there was something significant about Harry's eyes.

what secret? :lol: I thought the special thing about Harry's eyes was that they resembled Lily's? the only thiong in him which resembled her...

I agree about the epilogue :
I didn't mind the whole idea of the epilogue' date=' though I thought it was in the wrong setting with loads of characters missing :D I would've rather she set it in the Burrow (which had more value to everyone- Harry especially) or maybe even show them in Harry's house in Godric's Hallow... or Grimmuald place.. the scene at platform 9 and 3/4 was just :dash::

anyway I thought maybe Ron's kid would be named after his dead brother! i.e FRED! not Hogu or what ever the hell it was :hmmmm: and I thought Harry would name one of his Sirius! before naming one Severus :blink: [/quote']
^^ already posted them on TSR :read:

imo the best part of the whole book was potterwatch :angry: it was exactly what I expected from them all, to be rebellious and funny wile at it :lol: . What I don't get is why the death eaters didn't kill off all the weasleys after the wedding? I expected everyone to die actually. I mean I didn't want them, obviously I was mad when Fred died! but you'd expect the Death Eaters to live up to their name! :)

I think I would enjoy it more when I reread it as well, since I really just skimmed through it because W.O.N.D.E.R was threatening to tell me what happened! so I was trying to finish it ASAP :yes:

I thought the book was too much about Dumbeldore! I mean how many times was the story of Ariana and his mother repeated? his brother tells us the full story then Albus goes on and says it again a chapter later! (or was it 2?) and with all of snape's memories James was left the villain. I think there should have been more about James! and the order in general...

[Close]

I won't rant and/or rave about the book, because I think HMS has just about said it all. :angry:

I enjoyed it immensely, and bawled my eyes out on several different occasions (although this was at 4:30am, so possibly due to exhaustion). I think JK did an excellent job of living up to expectations and maintaining the outstanding quality of the first 6 books. :blink:

Rating - 9.5/10

imo the best part of the whole book was potterwatch

Yeah I enjoyed that too. Did you notice the significance of the code names though? Kingsley - Royal, Romulus & Remus (there's a Roman (Greek?) legend about twin boys named Romulus and Remus being raised by wolves. It was a popular theory for ages).

But I got so sick of Harry's guilt at the start of the book.

:blink: Yeah, the beginning did drag a bit, but it got better in the middle.

what secret? tongue.gif I thought the special thing about Harry's eyes was that they resembled Lily's? the only thiong in him which resembled her...

Yeah but there was supposedly a significance about the colour. I think in the end it was just the fact that Snape was in love with Lily.

Yeah I enjoyed that too. Did you notice the significance of the code names though? Kingsley - Royal, Romulus & Remus (there's a Roman (Greek?) legend about twin boys named Romulus and Remus being raised by wolves. It was a popular theory for ages).

oh I didn't know that! certainly makes it much more interesting... what was fred called in the beginning? haha was funny when he was like "but I wanted to be Royal!" on the air :blink:

Guest glittery_butterfly

yayayayayaayya harry potter woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!! i am so totally obsessed and i totally loved it. i highly recomment mugglenet lol for great discussion

hated the epilogue tho *cringe*

Haha yeah I know some people hated the epilogue - it was too fluffy and all. And yes, she did leave a lot of things out but she straightened most of them in interviews and the like. Luna basically became a famous naturalist, responsible for discovering a lot of unknown species and eventually married a granson of Newt Scamander (the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them).

What I found most cringe-worthy about the epilogue was the kids' names. They're ridiculous. I remembered grimacing at Hugo. I mean, really, Hugo?

Haha yeah I know some people hated the epilogue - it was too fluffy and all. And yes, she did leave a lot of things out but she straightened most of them in interviews and the like. Luna basically became a famous naturalist, responsible for discovering a lot of unknown species and eventually married a granson of Newt Scamander (the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them).

What I found most cringe-worthy about the epilogue was the kids' names. They're ridiculous. I remembered grimacing at Hugo. I mean, really, Hugo?

Ha! :D Yeah, Hugo's not my favourite name in the world. :P But the worst was Albus Severus!! Seriously!?! I mean it's sweet and all, but did she have to take it out on the kid??

I know. :D Albus Severus! It rhymes!! Rhyming names are just plain embarassing. And while Dumbledore was born way back in the 1890s some time, who names their kids Albus in the 21st century?

I kind of got the feeling (don't know if I said this) that Jo didn't want new names for the kids, lest people starting looking into hidden meanings or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the book.

The first half in my opinion was quite slow, but towards the end, I got so caught up in it I had to finish it in my first day.

Like most other people, I found that the epilogue was kind of lame, but overall..The book was awesome.

Im truly sad that no more books are coming out.

I tried reading everythign on thsi thread but had to give up after I got halfway through...sorry.

Great to see other Harry Potter fanatics like myself though...I thought the book was awesome, but after finishing it I seriously felt sad and pissed off when i realised that this was the last HP book we would ever see - which was kind of weird, for my usually insensitive, "heart made of stone" nature ;)

I was disappointed with the epilogue as well, mainly because I think it was way too short - since this was the last damn chapter fans would have loved to know specific details about what happened to other major characters (George, Luna, the Dursleys, the hogwarts teachers, Mr and Mrs Weasley etc etc ). J.K. cleared everything up in her interviews but it would have been a much better experience learning about these details through the novel itself, IMO. I agree about the names as well...Albus Severus? No kid should live through the torture of having such a dumb name. not to mention how blatant it looked that J.K. was desperate to give some sort of tribute to Dumbledore and Snape.

Some of the deaths were indeed heart-wrenching, - Dobby (screw bellatrix!), Lupin, Tonks, Snape (well after reading 'The Prince's Tale' and Fred especially, but I guess they were all essential as well. Winning the war has to be accounted for by major sacrifices.

I'd been part of several discussion on the HP boards on imdb.com (internet movie database), so many of the 'revelations' turned out to be just as we has expected - which did make us proud but also kind of lost the 'surprise' factor. I was convinced that snape would turn out to be good, rab was regulus (well everyone had figured that out), that one of the Weasleys would die (I had been hoping against it though, I was just sure of it because they were such perfect targets) and that Harry or harry's scar would be a horcrux. I hadn't been expecting the "snape loved lily" part though,it had been mentioned in some theories but most people had thought of it as one-sided thing with just Snape falling for Lily.

Hey one last thing, did J.K. ever mention the secret of the 'veil' at the Dept of Mysteries, through which Sirius fell and died? It obviously wasnt mentioned in the bok but when i looked through some of the interviews I couldnt find the answer there either

Hey one last thing, did J.K. ever mention the secret of the 'veil' at the Dept of Mysteries, through which Sirius fell and died? It obviously wasnt mentioned in the bok but when i looked through some of the interviews I couldnt find the answer there either

Nope she didn't. I guess it's either one of those things that get lost in edit or she forgot or something.

It's not necessarily the last HP book we'll see you know. She did say she might write an extra encyclopedia of sorts of backstory. I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case she does end up not writing it. :)

She said in interviews that she planned to kill Mr Weasley but switched him for Lupin and Tonks...to be honest, and this might come out really badly, I'd rather she killed Mr Weasley. I love Mr Weasley, but I was devastated by Lupin's death. I so hoped for him to survive. I wished that she'd had let one Marauder survive...and not make it sound so...hopeless with them all dead. ;)

I'd been part of several discussion on the HP boards on imdb.com (internet movie database), so many of the 'revelations' turned out to be just as we has expected - which did make us proud but also kind of lost the 'surprise' factor. I was convinced that snape would turn out to be good, rab was regulus (well everyone had figured that out), that one of the Weasleys would die (I had been hoping against it though, I was just sure of it because they were such perfect targets) and that Harry or harry's scar would be a horcrux. I hadn't been expecting the "snape loved lily" part though,it had been mentioned in some theories but most people had thought of it as one-sided thing with just Snape falling for Lily.

Haha I gave up on HP forums ages ago. It takes too much of my time. ;) Yeah, a lot of the truths were proven theories but I guess as I said up there, people are bound to guess right sometimes. But it was nice seeing everything fall into place.

It's not necessarily the last HP book we'll see you know. She did say she might write an extra encyclopedia of sorts of backstory. I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case she does end up not writing it.

Oh, yeah I know about the encyclopedia and from what I've heard it's definitely coming out sooner or later - but still it can't make up for a proper book from the series can it? ;)

After reading the epilogue I had got my hopes up that she might continue the story with James, Rose, Hugo and Albus Severus' (*snort*) generation, but then the dream exploded when I heard that she's working on two other books - a new series I think.

She said in interviews that she planned to kill Mr Weasley but switched him for Lupin and Tonks...to be honest, and this might come out really badly, I'd rather she killed Mr Weasley. I love Mr Weasley, but I was devastated by Lupin's death. I so hoped for him to survive. I wished that she'd had let one Marauder survive...and not make it sound so...hopeless with them all dead.

True...but maybe she wanted everythign to sound more impactful, what with Harry becoming Teddy's close godfather - much like the relationship that Harry had with Sirius. But yeah, tonks and lupin dying was very sad.

Oh, yeah I know about the encyclopedia and from what I've heard it's definitely coming out sooner or later - but still it can't make up for a proper book from the series can it? :)

I guess not.

After reading the epilogue I had got my hopes up that she might continue the story with James, Rose, Hugo and Albus Severus' (*snort*) generation, but then the dream exploded when I heard that she's working on two other books - a new series I think.

Haha not likely. There are plenty of rumours about what she's writing next but I don't think any of it will be published any time soon. She deserves a rest after all. :P

Oh what did you think of the name Scorpius? ;)

I'm thinking of buying Mugglenet's book on the predictions they made for Book 7... ;)

True...but maybe she wanted everythign to sound more impactful, what with Harry becoming Teddy's close godfather - much like the relationship that Harry had with Sirius. But yeah, tonks and lupin dying was very sad.

I think Harry'd make a more responsible godfather than Sirius. I love Sirius but I think, like Hermione and Molly do, that he's a little trapped in time. He couldn't really distinguish between Harry and James. And he expects Harry to be like James.