Funny Class Moments?

GenuinelyJayDee

I had to do a science experiment when I forgot I was experiencing with alcohol in a measuring cylinder. I was getting bored as a reaction was taking place so I started playing with a match. I brought the match too close to the cylinder and the alcohol went on fire. There was a large flame on top of the cylinder. I panicked and one student tried to call a teacher. However, before the teacher turned (since I was panicking), I blew on the fire and the fire ended.Therefore, there teacher didn't see anything and I got away with it.

All of this happened unimaginably fast!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I was in class doing a science test (this isn't exactly IB rather iGCSE last year)

And this boy was sitting right opposite me - and I thought he was copying my work. 

I realised this when I I wrote down the right answer -> he copies it down (with a smug face)

So what I did was change my answer to a wrong one -> he does the same. (I did some acting as well while erasing it out, thinking, writing etc.)

Then, near the end of the test, making sure he'd finished first, I went back and changed my answer to the right one. 

The horror on his face was a must see. He looked completely torn apart with that jaw dropping down!  :lc:  :D

• Like 4

Whilst doing a prac for chemistry, we were using Bunsen burners and constantly using scales. The prac took about 20 minute to do and we only had time in class to do one. We were in groups of about 2-3, and their are about 25 students in the class, so roughly 10-12 groups. So 15 minutes into the prac, I was with my friend, and we were on the bench right next to the door. we were almost done, but I accidentally bumped the big red button, that turns off all the gas and electricity in the room....So all the bunsen burners and scales turned off...15 minutes into a 20 minute prac... After that everyone was confused and I thought ''oh crap...". Then everyone found out, and the teacher cracked up laughing, as did I and the rest of the class. In the end, we ended up doing the prac again in our next class...  But that wasn't the only time i pressed the big red button... I did it twice in physics, and another time in Chemistry BOTH while we were doing pracs...

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I'm new at this.

But...

My IB Chem teacher was talking about the effects of carbonic acid buildup for our acids and bases unit. Until he decided to deliberately take a huge gulp of air and hold his breath for around a minute. 

Our entire class of 8 sat there and gaped as he puffed his cheeks with so much effort and turned as red as a tomato. (no joke he turned as red as the printed blood spatter on my Macbeth novel.) :/

So when he couldn't continue any longer he exhaled and took a step towards the smartboard to continue teaching.

Then he dropped like a rock behind the island at the front and we all leaped out of our seats ready to save our oxygen deprived Chem teacher. :lc: 

He stood up after a second and remarked on how his body couldn't handle that demo, but man that was the strangest demo I've ever gotten. I swear we love the guy. XD He makes sounds when he's teaching. It's great. 

My class died of laughter for the rest of the class. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the very beginning of IB, we attended a cult-ish three day camp where we were fed an all vegetarian diet. One time, only two groups out of the 12 groups got lunch and the rest of us were not given lunch as a demonstration of how poverty works, and right after, we danced in the sun, shouting "Hoiska". Then for dinner we got imitation chicken made of tofu in stir fry that tasted like someone knocked over a whole bottle of vinegar into the dish.

For the rest of the year, "Hoiska tofu chicken" became a meme and we all became very afraid of cults.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dragonfruit said:

At the very beginning of IB, we attended a cult-ish three day camp where we were fed an all vegetarian diet. One time, only two groups out of the 12 groups got lunch and the rest of us were not given lunch as a demonstration of how poverty works, and right after, we danced in the sun, shouting "Hoiska". Then for dinner we got imitation chicken made of tofu in stir fry that tasted like someone knocked over a whole bottle of vinegar into the dish.

For the rest of the year, "Hoiska tofu chicken" became a meme and we all became very afraid of cults.

Do you live in Newfoundland, by any chance?

• 3 weeks later...

What's with all the IB Chem stories?

... well here's another IB Chem story :P

So this one class we were doing a mini-lab with a group on percent yield. The reaction was the ignition of magnesium metal to make magnesium oxide. How we did this was we put it in a tiny white crucible which was placed above a Bunsen burner with a strip of magnesium in the crucible. You had to keep the lid of the crucible off so that the magnesium could react, and when you saw sparks you were supposed to immediately put it back on, wait for it to cool, then repeat until all the magnesium reacted.

Yeah... a lot of things went wrong that class.

1st mistake: our group did not put the lid back on in time, leading to the magnesium reacting with a HUGE FLAME which led everyone in our group to run away and out of the lab like professionals until someone had the intelligence to put the lid back on (that intelligent person wasn't me though...)

2nd mistake: we had to douse the magnesium oxide in water to get rid of all the nitrogen from the air, and as we were doing it we smelled something funny and kept taking deeper breaths to figure out what it was, before realizing it was ammonia gas, leading us to all professionally run out of the lab once again.

3rd mistake: our teacher (who saw all of this) was rushing to prepare a demonstration for the next class in the lab and somehow accidentally lit a beaker of mysterious liquid on fire. She then proceeds to exclaim, "That's not supposed to happen!" as she pours out the liquid and LIGHTS THE SINK ON FIRE

So all this happened within a good ten minutes and that remains to be my favorite chemistry class of all time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...