Canadian Universities

JonnyBoy

Hey everyone! :D I plan to take pharmacy in University of Alberta would that be a good idea? However, McGill and U of T was ranked way higher than Alberta in the world rankings and also some people said McGill or Waterloo is better,can anyone give me any suggestions?

Well it really depends on where you want to go after university. U of A is fine if you wish to stay in Canada but if you wish to work outside of Canada I would say that McGill, Waterloo and U of T are more well known. I also think that the Bachelor degree isn't a practicing degree, you might have to get a Doctor's before you can actually be a pharmacist

• Like 1

Hey everyone! :D I plan to take pharmacy in University of Alberta would that be a good idea? However, McGill and U of T was ranked way higher than Alberta in the world rankings and also some people said McGill or Waterloo is better,can anyone give me any suggestions?

Well it really depends on where you want to go after university. U of A is fine if you wish to stay in Canada but if you wish to work outside of Canada I would say that McGill, Waterloo and U of T are more well known. I also think that the Bachelor degree isn't a practicing degree, you might have to get a Doctor's before you can actually be a pharmacist

You need a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree to be licenced as a pharmacist. So you need to first get a Bachelor's and then go to pharm school. I think it's one of those cases where it doesn't really matter where you go for actual pharm school since you'll end up with a PharmD in all cases. However, I know 2 people who just finished their 2nd year in the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy program at U of T, it basically preps them for going into the Doctor of Pharmacy program. I don't think there are many BS in pharm degrees at many university so if you are sure that pharm is what you want to do then a BS in pharm sounds like it would really prepare you for taking the PCAT and getting into a PharmD program.

• Like 1

Biological Science in McGill is really good. Although many other factors exist on deciding uni, I suggest you to research more about McGill. It is really good.

I'm tech-challenged and I don't know how to multiquote. :D hahahah. I clicked the multiquote button and I'm not sure what to do next. :)

Anyway! Thanks for the suggestions. :D was really helpful. However, McGill doesn't have a pharmacy course(they have pharmacology,which is different) and I used to think U of T only offered postgraduate pharmacy courses. So,basically a PharmD degree is compulsory to become a registered pharmacist?

• 3 weeks later...

It all depends on what university, however universities such as Mcgill and York University require high IB scores that are closer to 40. Scoreing over 28 can give you a good chance of getting in. Most universities in Canada however, only look at your HL grades.

Biological Science in McGill is really good. Although many other factors exist on deciding uni, I suggest you to research more about McGill. It is really good.

I'm tech-challenged and I don't know how to multiquote. :) hahahah. I clicked the multiquote button and I'm not sure what to do next. :)

Anyway! Thanks for the suggestions. :) was really helpful. However, McGill doesn't have a pharmacy course(they have pharmacology,which is different) and I used to think U of T only offered postgraduate pharmacy courses. So,basically a PharmD degree is compulsory to become a registered pharmacist?

U of T does have a pharmacy school but it also has an undergrad program for pharm. And yeah you need a PharmD degree (as well as pass your board/licencing exams) to become a legit pharm. It's just like how you can go into a pre-med undergrad program but you are not a doctor until you go to medical school and get your MD. And even then you can't practice medicine until you pass your board exams.

What I heard from the McGill recruiter in September 2009, IB students compete against IB students so...I don't know how well that would go. I'm a Canadian studying abroad and when I told her that, she specifically said that it did not matter because IBers compete with other IBers that apply. This seems more fair than being seen as a normal student.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^You'd be a shoe-in for economics (probably), but commerce is something else. Your subjects seem very appropriate to the study of economics and I think you'd make an interesting candidate. The "entrance requirements" for U of T are, like those of Oxbridge complicated by certain college admissions. The most selective are Trinity then Innis and so on, it can depend on the program. For arts it really is Trinity as the strongest, the most elite with over 35 Rhodes scholars, its that kind of place. You don't need to go to Trinity to do well at U of T or grad school and have a great career!

Thanks for your answer.

In case of UofT I thing there is a difference in case of college choice. At Oxbridge I solely apply to particular collage and if they reject me I go rejected from the university as well.

At UofT, on the other hand, I set a college preferece rating from 1 to 7 and if my top college rejects me then my second choice is considered and so on.

Is that correct?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I could get a little help. I'm from Peru, my exams start in 10 days! D:

These are my predicted IB grades:

HL:

English B: 7

Spanish A1: 7

Biology: 4

SL:

History: 6

Psychology: 6

Maths: 3

+ 3 points from TOK and EE

= 36 points total

I'm thinking of applying to UBC's English Literature programme, and then possibly, after a year, trasnferring to UBC's Film Production course, since I want to get into the film industry (but I think studying something broader first is good since film is really risky and it gives me something to fall back on). UBC doesn't really care for English B, so I'm giving the TOEFL in December to fulfill the Enlgish Language requirement.

Do you think I have a good shot at being admitted? On the extracurricular side, I have participated in an indie film in the US where I have a special thanks credit, I've done loads of stuff with underprivilidged communities as part of CAS, separately from CAS I built a bookshelf for a library in a poor part of the country and I've participated in musical events in my school throughout the years.

UBC says it only needs 24 points to be admitted...but I'd also like some kind of scholarship. Do you think these grades are good enough for admission and a scholarship?

My final grades will arrive in January, so I could apply with those which could be higher.

Also, is Enlglish Lit and Film good at UBC? It's ranked as the 30-40th best uni in the WORLD so I figure it's good hehe.

Help would be much appreciated!

Those grades are still good! there are like merit based scholarships and other type of scholarships, depends which scholarships you think you can get into. You probably could get some merit-based scholarships with those grades, as long as your essay is good :(

I watched a UBC introduction video last week, it look pretty cool. I like the laxness when it comes to snowboarding and skiing :(

does anyone know people that did the IB and got offers from UofT Rotman Commerce or McGill Desuatels BCom, while doing the IB.

i know their range is around 35 but i also heard that for international students, its higher.

ive been told that my predicted is around mid to high 30's, so im not feeling to safe for these programs.

The University of British Columbia expects at least 35 to get into the school of sciences, although there have been a few expectations. Their school of arts takes, on average, people who get above 33. They accept you based on expected scores, and not if you actually receive your diploma or not, unless you take a year off between high school and college and know if you have a diploma when you apply. I *highly* reccommend applying with predicted scores if they are above 30 and if you want to take a year off, wait until you get accepted and do deffered enrollment.