First year of Eco

Hello!

As i mentioned before, im starting my IB course this september and ive got loads of questions.

But the top one right now, is that i chose Eco as one of my HL subjects. and the thing is, i ddnt take Eco b4 in my previous years.

I asked the eco teacher in skool and he said that it shudnt be a prob if im starting it in IB. but the IG guys (who took eco for 2 years) say that i wont survive the class since i dont have any background...

soo.. my questions is: WHAT SHUD I DO!? im soo clueless right now and i alrdy handed in my application

plz help! Thanks! :P

Don't worry about it.

Econ HL was in its pilot year when I took it. My econ teachers had no idea what was on the syllabus, what IAs were, when they were due etc. My classmates and I pretty much self taught ourselves econ from the course companion. I had never taken econ before in my life either and I still ended up with a 7 lol.

Definitely don't need a background in econ to do well in econ HL.

I take econ HL, and I had absolutely no background or understanding in it at all when I started. I just needed another higher level. I had no problem though, the first unit done is called 'intro to economics' and basically starts you off very, very simple and sets a foundation. Of course, having any previous background in economics is beneficial but by no means is it necessary. I'm sure you'll do fine :P I haven't found it difficult, just a lot of new concepts to learn.

The IB course is designed for 2 years, and no one is expected to have prior knowledge. Very few schools offer Economics before IB/A-level years. If those people told you that you won't survive the class, maybe it's just because they were stupid, didn't learn anything, and didn't survive the class themselves.

Make sure you don't miss any microeconomics classes, because the students that switched to Economics halfway through IB1 were the ones that failed miserably in their final exams (they're hoping they got 4's, which tells you how much they missed). Microeconomic theory is the basis for all Economics, and that plus Macro are the biggest sections in the syllabus. Also, don't sleep through classes. I missed some sections of the syllabus because of that, and catching up on your own sucks.

None of the students in my HL Economics class had any prior economics knowledge.

So far, we're doing just fine.

I would say don't worry at all.

Just pay attention in class, read the textbook, etc.

The course starts of with complete basics in economics.

So, it realllly shouldn't be a problem :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

As i mentioned before, im starting my IB course this september and ive got loads of questions.

But the top one right now, is that i chose Eco as one of my HL subjects. and the thing is, i ddnt take Eco b4 in my previous years.

I asked the eco teacher in skool and he said that it shudnt be a prob if im starting it in IB. but the IG guys (who took eco for 2 years) say that i wont survive the class since i dont have any background...

soo.. my questions is: WHAT SHUD I DO!? im soo clueless right now and i alrdy handed in my application

plz help! Thanks! ;)

Just taken Econ SL one year in advance. (As in I started Econ SL before the actual 2 years of IBDP...)

Not particularly tough. Just make sure you can work out the little details while understanding the overall concept.

• 1 month later...

Dont worry, I was in IGSCE, but it won't make much of a difference if you have an interest, taking HL and SL however is a big decision cause SL is way too less of syllabus. But you won't have certainly no difficulties dealing with the subject. And your teacher advises u right. so gud luck if u do decide to take it.

• 2 months later...

YOU WILL BE FINE SO STOP FREAKING OUT

i've never done any economics/business related subject in my entire life and i ended up choosing economics as my HL subject.

you've got 2 years to learn the whole syllabus, honestly if you worked hard it is possible to learn the entire syllabus by yourself

being the first batch of ibers to go through in my school, not only was economics something completely new to me, we also were the guinea pigs in terms of due dates, the criteria requirements etc.

so if my class can manage then so can you :P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, my school doesn't allow students to choose Economics until IBDP level, so my whole (HL) class basically started from nothing. The course companion is a wonderful book and many of us are self-studying, so even if you end up with a teacher that teaches in a way you don't understand, you can just learn it all from the book.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello!

plz help! Thanks! :)

I know the feeling! I had to base my subject choices around the lines each class was on in the timetable. I had to choose between History and Psychology because they were on the same line, and then I was left with an empty line in which my options were picking up another science, computer graphics or economics. My parents basically forced me to do economics, and I began IB1 feeling apprehensive about doing Eco at SL without any background whatsoever.

However, the Economic concepts are really straightforward, and it's just the terminology that you need to learn. The textbooks go through everything from the basics, and by reading the text you can pretty much teach yourself. Most of the questions can be worked out using common sense. I found it so easy to pick up that I swapped to Chem SL and chose to study Eco at HL. In IB1, I paid no attention all year and my teacher was pretty poor, being completely unfamiliar with the IB. However, we taught ourselves, and did very well in the internal tests. Now we are into IB2, and our new teacher is confident I will achieve a 6 or 7.

Don't be anxious, HL Eco without previous background shouldn't be a problem. (If it is, then my teacher predicted my grade wrong and I will fail along with you :))

• 4 weeks later...

Do it - you'll be fine. The best way to start is to learn the key words and all the rest is basically reading and reading.

The Internal assessment is prob the easiest way to get good marks... so read up on that and start collecting articles

Enjoy the ride

Hello!

plz help! Thanks! :ban:

• 3 weeks later...

Of course you don't need any background knowledge in order to take economics HL. You could though just go over the books that you'll be using, in order to see if you are actually interested in the subject.

Economics is mainly mathematics, but up until now the IB thought that students should not be introduced to economics with mathematic principles. I've heard that the syllabus is going to change so if you are not interested in math or you are not good at it, you'd better ask your teacher.

Economics is an easy 7 and I definitely recommend it as a higher level subject.

Good luck with the IB!

Edited by Watermelon =3