What is a level 7

Mattias

Well, obviously, I know how to get a 7.

Do all your homework, study a lot, have a little bit of natural intelligence, listen during class...

However, I would like to know what technically counts as a 7.

For example I thought

5-85%-89%

6-90%-95%

7-96%-100%

Well, that's what I thought originally.

I later found out that a level 7 in HL for my school is actually 78%, because HL math is so difficult.

Is my school different or something?

Do you need a 96%-100% for every subject in order to get level 7s for those?

FYI, I'm taking

HL: English, Bio, History

SL: Business Management, Chinese, Studies

Your school isn't different. The mark boundaries for each subject change slightly and change according to each year (depending on how difficult or easy people found the exams that year, because IB grades are given out according to a bell curve).

If you look at this thread http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?showtopic=841 you will see the different mark boundaries for each subject, and what percent makes a 7. For English A1, you generally need 78%-80% to get a 7, while for subjects like Economics its 70% or around that. For Chemistry you need an 80% to get a 7on some exams, and for Physics you need a 70%. The more difficult exams have lower grade boundaries because the IB adjusts them accoridng to how well/badly people did overall.

Your system doesn't make sense, as then a 1 would be gotten by everyone who gets 0%-60% on the exam. The mark boundaries are much wider, usually there is a 10% margin.

Edited by Vvi

Your school isn't different. The mark boundaries for each subject change slightly and change according to each year (depending on how difficult or easy people found the exams that year, because IB grades are given out according to a bell curve).

If you look at this thread http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?showtopic=841 you will see the different mark boundaries for each subject, and what percent makes a 7. For English A1, you generally need 78%-80% to get a 7, while for subjects like Economics its 70% or around that. For Chemistry you need an 80% to get a 7on some exams, and for Physics you need a 70%. The more difficult exams have lower grade boundaries because the IB adjusts them accoridng to how well/badly people did overall.

Your system doesn't make sense, as then a 1 would be gotten by everyone who gets 0%-60% on the exam. The mark boundaries are much wider, usually there is a 10% margin.

does this mean that (let's say english) universally speaking, if i get over a 78% in english A1, its a level 7?

or does it depend on my school

does this mean that (let's say english) universally speaking, if i get over a 78% in english A1, its a level 7?

or does it depend on my school

Nah, it only depends on how well everyone taking that IB subject in the world did on the exam, and supposedly follows a Bell Curve as someone said in another thread. Also it would differ slightly each year depending on how hard the exam was, so maybe one year the exam was really easy so it ends up being 84% for a 7 and the next year it's really hard so the boundary for a 7 drops to 75%, just an example...

So how do you find out the grades for each year?

You wait until the IBO publishes them (individual grades and grade boundaries). :ashika:

Edit: out of curiosity, are you in Ontario? The 7=96-100, 6=90-95, etc is Ontario's conversion because univs require percentage grades. It has nothing to do with the IBO.

Edited by Irene

You wait until the IBO publishes them (individual grades and grade boundaries). :ashika:

Edit: out of curiosity, are you in Ontario? The 7=96-100, 6=90-95, etc is Ontario's conversion because univs require percentage grades. It has nothing to do with the IBO.

is that the way it is for every class?

and yes, ontario

Edited by matayo41

You wait until the IBO publishes them (individual grades and grade boundaries). :P

is that the way it is for every class?

and yes, ontario

Mhm :ashika: During the year, teachers predict differently though, so it's entirely up to your school. But generally, when 'real' predicted grades are sent in March/April of IB2, they're relatively accurate.

On a side note, ahhh, I love the colourful multiquote thing. :no:

The IBO publishes grade boundaries 2 weeks after exam results come out. So this year for May people, they will be available around July 20th. They don't send them to you, they send them to your school and you need to ask them to see them. At the same time the IBO publishes details of the marks you got on each individual paper and your internals (so English P1, P2, oral commentary and WL's, etc.), so you check how many points away you are from the next highest grade and if you are close, you can ask for a remark (which costs about $88 and is returned if your mark goes up). Your mark can also go down or not change at all.

The way I understand it is that the conversion for each subject, each year, is dependent on how well the exam scores were for the last year. If the exam scores were bad then the conversion for that subject will be greater the year after since it is assumed that it is harder.

A 7 usually does represent a 96-100 -- but this is the OSSD converted mark. The actual mark can be much lower but since IB is hard, the marks sent into Ontario universities first undergo the conversion and thus are much better sounding:)

You're teacher will give you an estimated level when you're about to go into your IB exams-these are the ones that will be sent to the universities.

And are you actually taking chinese in ontario? Man, I wish my school was that cool. I'd love it if they offered something like IB Anthrology. But IB here is primarily math and science based--not many other choices outside of those:(

Grades this year are coming out (at least for me...) June 6th. When you take the exam they'll give you a sheet of paper with a log on etc. On June 6th you can log onto the website and check your scores.