Good Non-Fiction Reads?

miss.malhi

Oh!! there is a really good book I must! read over summer.

its non-fiction I think. Its called Persian Boy. My mother said it was a great book she read.

Summary:

The Persian Boy is a 1972 historical novel written by Mary Renault and narrated by Bagoas, a young Persian from an aristocratic family who is captured by his father's enemies, castrated, and sold as a slave to the king Darius III, who makes him his favorite. Eventually he becomes the lover and most faithful servant of Alexander the Great, who overthrew Darius and captured the Persian Empire. Bagoas' narration provides both a Persian view of the conquest and an intimate look at the personality of the conqueror.

I agree that parts of the Bible are interesting for all sorts of different reasons. (Also, Biblical allusions might turn up in your A1 language!).

Ellen Foster is a wonderful book about a girl who's trying to deal with her evil family. A bit sad, but also funny and moving.

I highly reccommend A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. If you're into philosophy and self-improvement, then you'll probably find it refreshing and enlightening. I know I did. XD

Another good one is Teen Angst? Naaahhh... by Ned Vizzini. Sure, it's what he calls a "quasi-autobiography", but it's written in novel form, which gives it a different "flavour" (for lack of a better term).

I really enjoy all of Bill Bryson's novels :P

They're travel novels with some very interesting and enlightening insights into people and cultures. He also did a brilliant novel taking you through a brief history of science and its important ideas aimed at the non-scientific (A Short History of Nearly Everything). Of all of them, I especially enjoyed Notes From A Small Island and Down Under.

EDIT ^^ Just thought I'd add, he's also a hilarious and brilliant writer XD They're not at all boring!

Edited by Sandwich

I highly recommend The Whisperers and Natasha's Dance, both by Orlando Figes. The Whisperers is a history of private life in Stalin's Russia, built on interviews and oral history. Natasha's Dance is a cultural history of russia, but what really stands out about it is the way he organized it; rather than do it chrologically, he categorized it by the different aspects of russian culture. His writing also just flows: they read almost like narratives.

• Like 1

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond has been on my reading list for a while now. I've heard some fantastic recommendations for it.

Because I haven't read it, I can't give a summary, but I can say that the premise that Diamond wrote the book on is really interesting. Here's the wiki page on it :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_germs_and_steel

Edited by sweetnsimple786

I recommend A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking. It's basically a dumbed-down version of the classic A Brief History of Time. (It also talks about wormholes!)

Also, try Dawkin's books, like his most famous, The God Delusion. The Blind Watchmaker also seems very interesting.

• 10 months later...

I would also highly recomment:

A streetcar named desire - William Tennesse

The catcher in the rye - J.D. Salinger

Catch 22 - Joseph heller

On the road - Jack Kerouac

Those are all really relevant books in terms of IB .. they offer a lot of background knowledge and themes that you might be able to link to in the pros that ae studied this year in class

Freakonomics and its sequel, Superfreakonomics. They're both by Levitt and Dubner. They're about economics - but in a cool, real-wordly sense. No confusing jargon :) And very funny, intriguing and thought-provoking at parts too. They're quite popular these days - at least with people I know.

My favourite piece of non-fiction, though, must be Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. It's not everyone's cup of tea - not highly humorous nor written in a simple, easy to understand language. It uses complicated words. Its sentences are long and sometimes hard to comprehend. But this is a book which I have loved and currently love and will continue to love. Its ideas are so incredible, and as the book goes through its chapters, it just becomes breath-taking.

By the way, it's about media epistemology and how television is making people become desensitised, etc. It'll probably be a good read for TOK :)