Good Non-Fiction Reads?

miss.malhi

I don't know why everybody keeps posting fiction books :\

It depends on your subjects. For English read stuff like the English Novel by Walter Allen (old library book, so find something similar?), the Art of Fiction by David Lodge, Aspects of the Novel by E M Forster, and books on writing in general. Also very important: for poetry, Sound and Sense by Laurence Perrine. Also maybe books on literary theory? But in general for English, fiction tends to be more important. For Economics I would suggest Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan, as well as Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics as previously mentioned. Reading the Economist and other newspapers might be useful too. For History read books on historical events and interpretations, and if possible different interpretations and views on the same event. I don't know any examples; I'm not taking it. For the sciences it's not that important but books like the Handy Physics Answer Book are great for widening your knowledge in a field. Psychology has a million options, but look for something comprehensive and encompassing different points of view.

Oh and I strongly recommend Blink by Malcom Gladwell, also mentioned above. Really a fascinating book.

gl

A book I got given in Psychology to read which was actually really good, despite being based on biology and psychology was 'Phantoms in the Brain' by Ramachandran

It explores different cases where people have suffered brain damage and how it changes their behaviour and stuff. its very well written and not too much heavy biological detail makes it a good read!