Favorite IB Science?

I think I want to take a second science for my sixth subject, but I'm still undecided. I'm already taking HL Biology. At my school, Physics is two years long whether its HL or SL, while Chemistry and Environmental Systems and Societies are just one year and only available SL. I'm leaning towards Chemistry because I'm not sure if I want to take two years of Physics and I think the Environmental Systems class at my school might already be full, but I was wondering if anyone has opinions on which IB science they would recommend. Thanks.

Edited by beaniemorton

I took a shoddy 1 year Physics SL class in addition to Bio HL. I loved the class, but the teacher didn't exactly prepare us. I know you'd want more space to take other classes and all, but I think that two years of a subject will better equip you on the exam. Plus, I love physics, so that might affect my recommendation.

I unofficially took 2 years of Chem HL in one year, and I like Chemistry, but I think that you'd be a bit pressed for time (but I'm not familiar with the SL syllabus--only the HL syllabus).

I think physics might be easier because it's a span of two years. However, definitely pick the one you're more interested in because your vested interest will be the greatest tool you have during the final exam.

Hope that helped ;)

I took bio and chem in IB and they are my 2 favourite sciences.

Depends on what you want to do in uni..if you're going into medicine/science then I'd suggest chem.

If you're going into engineering then I'd say drop bio and take chem and physics.

If you're going into social sciences/humanities/business where it doesn't matter..then I'd say chem because it's easier than physics (for me).

I myself love chemistry, and since the only IB chem my school offer, I got put in SL. I finished it in one year, and it wasn't too bad. The teacher however was very organized and prepared us for the exam pretty well. However it always comes to what you are more interested in.

I definitely didn't enjoy phsyics HL, but you may be different. As well as you probably have much better teachers at your school then our physics teacher.

Edited by Dark Matter

You might as well pick depending on what teacher is better. Personally, I love chemistry, but that has a lot to do with the teacher I had. Physics, on the other hand, ughhhh if you ever see a woman who claims to have taught physics 10-11 years ago and wants to "get back into it", STAY AWAY!!! Summer school totally ruined it for me last year. :D

I know the Physics teacher is good, but I'm pretty sure the Chem teacher is too. I think I'm probably leaning towards Chem just because I'm scared of committing two years to Physics when for all I know I might hate it, and I'm not planning on a physics-related career. But who knows, I'm a very indecisive person. Thank you for the opinions!

It depends on how much you are willing to study and, no offense, how smart you are. Chemistry Sl is very, very easy. You really only need to study like one hour a week, as long as you understand everything in class and you do the homework. If you don't understand it, then that is another story. Physics, whether Sl or HL, is much more difficult than chemistry. So i don't reccomend it unless you really like physics and have the mind for it. Hope this helps.

I know the Physics teacher is good, but I'm pretty sure the Chem teacher is too. I think I'm probably leaning towards Chem just because I'm scared of committing two years to Physics when for all I know I might hate it, and I'm not planning on a physics-related career. But who knows, I'm a very indecisive person. Thank you for the opinions!

Ya.. I thinks its a good choice to take Chemistry. At least you know where is your ability and interest. I also agree that physic its quite hard (plus that it is HL) rather than chemistry. You'll enjoy chemistry. Don't worry..

• 2 weeks later...

Well first of all it depends on your personal preferences. Then, as IB_sucks mentioned, on how good are you on the subject. I'm taking physics and chem both SL, and until now I'm finding physics bit harder than chemistry, but it doesn't matter because I love both of them :blink: .

Anyway, maybe you should take physics because its 2-years, while in chem you'll have to cover all the contents in only one year.

-aDT

Edited by AlonsoDT

I agree with the above, go with what you find more interesting! I taking Physics and Chem HL and I find them challenging but

incredibly interesting. I can't stand Bio and if I were to take 2 years of it I would wither and die ^_^ If you're leaning

for Chem go for it, the last thing you want to do is to be stuck with a science that you can't tolerate.

I took all three and enjoy them mostly. But it also depends hugely on the teacher (even though you shouldn't just decide your subjects by the teachers who are teaching them). Chemistry used to be my favourite science subject (and it still is to some extent) but it's just not the same with the teacher I have currently. She does not get the IB system as it is her first year and we are the guinea pigs :P

Edited by hermine0817

I love biology. :) The information, for me, is a lot easier to absorb because it's not super theoretical and there are always numerous real life examples that you can relate to a concept.

I hate chemistry. Hate it with passion. Hate hate HATE. Can I emphasize enough that I hate chemistry? My teacher this year was an ass so he totally ruined the course for me. I think conceptually, chemistry is a lot easier to understand than physics but still infinitely harder than biology.

Physics is okay, although I don't recommend IB HL Physics because I've heard that it's one of them IB grade killers (along with Math HL, of course). :P

I agree with the fact that SL Chemistry is way easier than HL Physics.. I do both these sciences at HL, but I have friends who do SL Chem. Most of the kids at my school are doing Chemistry, whether it be HL or SL, because it's a prerequisite for many, many university courses here. Even if you're not sure what you want to do at uni, I think you should check it out just in case. Hope this helped! :P

Physics is the hardest one for me personally so I wouldn't choose it, plus its HL so it'll be a lot harder, from what I hear.

Also, I think that if we compare useful-ness, cham is more useful later on. You need chem for anything, whichever science you want to get into you probably need chem (ex. med, engineering, etc) So chem is probably your best bet. XD

• 3 weeks later...