Biology extended essays - Topic?

Guest yeemonkyaw

• 2 weeks later...
hoolaa

can any1 suggest for a biology extended essays which is doable in the school lab itself?

Here you go, some classical IB ones :D

- The Competitive and Evolutionary Nature of the Symbiotic Relationship in Paramecium.

- Gel Electrophoresis. The Construction of an Apparatus and the Separation of Proteins in Heat Treated Cow Milk.

But here are some suggestions that I came up with:

- Production of Monoclonal Antibodies through Hybridoma Technology to treat Mutant Myeloma Cells. (I know this is fancy more than it sounds, but basically this can be done with mice. If you take Biology HL, then you're actually familiar with it from Topic 10.. Through injecting the mouse with antigens and extracting B-cells from the spleen...etc). You could also do the same thing to diagnose pregnancy by producing the pregnancy test through identification of HCG hormone instead of the first proposal.

- Studying the effect of psychoactive drugs on the urination patterns, reflexes and/or other patterns of mice.

- Studying the effect of food additives on the digestive system and the body as a whole.

Hope this has helped. :P

• Like 6

Your first topic sounds quite interesting BIO AQUA, but generally I think doing experiments involving living creatures (well except for plants) is quite risky, what with all the "dont harm animals" stuff...one person I know wanted to experiment with mosquitos and my supervisor (she's an examiner) suggested him to change the topic.

Your first topic sounds quite interesting BIO AQUA, but generally I think doing experiments involving living creatures (well except for plants) is quite risky, what with all the "dont harm animals" stuff...one person I know wanted to experiment with mosquitos and my supervisor (she's an examiner) suggested him to change the topic.

You're quite right there. However, many experiments DO NOT involve harming living species if you're studying their living patterns and not testing some stuff on them. I guess that's the deal. Also, the one with the mice (the hybridoma suggestion).. Mice HAVE to be harmed as the spleen is extracted. Dismiss that proposal.. :lol:

Edited by BIO-AQUA

Guest El_Nano

Hello...everyone..... I'm quite late... in giving in my extended essy..i should hav given in my second draft...but I atill havn't chosen a topic yet... lol..

Could anyone help me ..? I was looking at options in biology because that's what I'm more interested in speccially in the human body or exercises (even if I know that it's complicated to make an good extened essay by analysig a complicated figure such as the human bosy)...but I'm open to any other ideas...

thank you

Hello...everyone..... I'm quite late... in giving in my extended essy..i should hav given in my second draft...but I atill havn't chosen a topic yet... lol..

Could anyone help me ..? I was looking at options in biology because that's what I'm more interested in speccially in the human body or exercises (even if I know that it's complicated to make an good extened essay by analysig a complicated figure such as the human bosy)...but I'm open to any other ideas...

thank you

Oh well.. Doing an EE in Biology that late is quite difficult. You have to do this immense load of lab work provided that you need to research a lot on the material before doing it. Looking at your situation, I guess it would be hard to cope with. I suggest that you switch to another subject that you can do well in, provided finish it at a short period of time, say 4-5 days. I adore Biology, but ended up doing an EE in Language A1.. :lol:

If you really want to do it in Biology, then I suggest paying a visit to your supervisor and asking him/her about some ideas that he/she might provide you with. Since he/she should help you in the lab work and supervise it for your EE, then it would be of great help. :D

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day. :P

• Like 1

Guest jaeukshin

Biology EE takes a long time because you have to construct and do an actual lab and write a lab-writeup over 2000 words,,

also, it is hard to finish the experiment in short time considering that biology EE deals with plants or animals,,

Biology EE takes a long time because you have to construct and do an actual lab and write a lab-writeup over 2000 words,,

also, it is hard to finish the experiment in short time considering that biology EE deals with plants or animals,,

You're absolutely right. :lol: It's better to start off with the Biology EE at the beginning of the year given that it takes a long time to finish and be supervised.

Guest Gunslingerstyle

If you're going to do an EE around Biology I would suggest doing something concerning human physiology, such as the one I'm doing. Test the effects of an ingredient in food/drink or a condition on the exercise ability of a male athlete, for instance. Doing it around Human Physiology is nice since you can experiment using people at school and ususally the testing can go on at the school facilities.

Guest yeemonkyaw

ive been working on the topic "A study on the causes and the effects of Polio affecting the population of bihar and okla". Since i have started collecting statistical data and doing analysis on it, it turns out to be pretty much a boring topic that i've totally lost my interest to work on it further. To make the matter worse, i'm running out of the idea of any possible labortary work or field work to be done on polio, other than going and examining the sites and collecting some qualitative data. If i were to change my topic now, it's quiet late to turn back........ :lol:

so could anyone suggest further improvements on the same topic or any other topic which consumes less time and can be done in the school labortary itself without involving living organisms?? or any topic related to genetics, blood sugar level or nutrition?? :lol:

Edited by yeemonkyaw

Guest duchene

i had an idea for an ee when i already had the results of mine. i ta has a lot to do with chemistry but i think it can work real good with bio. Its to use the enzimes in chiken liver which ir realy easy to get and use them to perform the decomposition of some chemical. the idea would be to change some of the conditions in which the enzime works. its very simple and you could get some pretty nice resuts.

• 1 month later...
Guest b_avinaash

hey plzz can u mail me sum info on da chicken enzymes thing....i tried a lott to research on it bt i cud hardly get any info . . . . so if u hav sum info can u plzzzzzz mail me dem . . thnx a lt ;-)

Don't use text speak. Thank you.

HMSChocolate

local EEs are extremely interesting. i know this senior that did this amazing project on these trees that only grow in our the outskirts of our city and it was pretty much amazing, so detailed and interesting, plus its something you can relate to since, well its part of our local environment. it was on what kept it going, they took soil samples did temperature checks, everything.

Edited by Soy

• 3 months later...
Guest yeemonkyaw

hey

i am doing my extended essay on the effect of different color of lights on the germination and growth of peas.....Is the topic too simple??....and does it satisfy the criteria A, C and D. Anyway, its almost done and im scared if that is a way too simple topic. somebody comment please!

Imho, Biology is quite hard to narrow down on a specific subject. This is my first year in IB and I was hoping to narrow down on a specific topic. I was quite interested in neurological sciences but it didn't seem like there was any kind of experiment (at least not with brains :( ). It's rather disappointing that sometimes you can't do an essay on something that you really are interested in. In fact, there's nobody else in the whole school who's doing an IB Bio EE :( So i'm trying to narrow down my topic on something, and I'll just have to see what's been occuring lately in the news to get some general sense of inspiration

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

you aren't allowed to test animals, but if you wanted to do a topic about it you could do an experiment related to your original topic and then tie in research to show the relationship.