Design Technology

deissi

Hey,

I was browsing through the IBO site and looked at group 4 subjects. Since our school only offers the "normal" sciences (Bio, Phys and Chem), I wondered what the others were. Environmental systems is pretty self-explanatory I guess, but I couldn't figure out what Design Technology is. So if anyone here happens to take it, could he/she briefly explain what the subject is about?

i think it is about researching and creating the design for new technology. My friend wants to study Design Technology so if you still need the information about this subject I'll ask him :D but also, you can google and find out something more about DT ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest surentripathi

I took Design Technology as an IB MYP course but it is pretty similar to the IB course, you basically have to do a lot of paperwork while creating a product to deal with a certain problem. You have to investigate factors and information related to the problem that you are given, find out what sort of things you could create to solve the problem, design the actual product, plan on how to create it, and then once you are done creating it you have to evaluate it against certain criteria that you come up with to test how effective it was to deal with a problem. The syllabus is quite well explained on this site : http://www.intuitor.com/student/IB_DT_Q1info.html,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just noticed, after posting in Forester's thing about "chances" in universities, that I'm taking Design Tech. HL and I havent once asked about it here :bawling: Here is how it goes:

You know that one class in the school that everyone knows is slack but you never really think its worth taking since you're in IB and I mean, cmon, you're not gonna take weightraining when you can be doing calculus 49! But our school thought of a way around that! We have this class called Design Technology. For some reason its IB, and maybe around the world it's a good normal IB class like phsycology (completely pointless class but is recognzied by IB for some weird reason I have yet to understand), but in our school the class is...well we don't know what it is. Ask any of the 300 kids taking it and they'll tell you this: "We play Halo".

That pretty much summarizes the class. We go into class and the 30 computers are already set up with Halo cause the class before us was already playing. If I was to go to you right now as you're reading this and gave you the HL test that you supposedly had 2 years to study for...you'd probably know the same as all of us in that class.

Now I haven't seen one post on this class, maybe it doesnt really exist, if it does feel free to tell me how it is in your school :) If not we can talk about a time and date and we'll set up a Halo server and play class of America against class of your country :) (the teacher is really cool and she's not like a stupid sub, she went to MIT :) )

Edited by ezex

Nah it is a really class, and don't worry people at my school do almost nothing for it. It is easy I did one of the past paper 1 for fun and got a 5 so it is pretty easy. Have you learnt anything about the design cycle, recycling, and food stuff etc? I know that there is a section on Chemistry. It is a bit of a piecemeal subject from what I know, a lot of common knowledge and common sense.

lol ....i want it to be offered at my school then... I also want psychology,...and environmental studies...lol

then my schedule would be like geo, eco and environmental studies and psychology ahhaha

this class is seriously too easy, and i'm not too sure what it's about still but maybe some day i'll get some work and i'll start studying for the class...hopefully.

does anyone happen to have past papers I could take a look at? >.<

i second the notion, since i have no one in my school who's done any papers for this class i'd love to one to see what i'm being expected to do out of this class, maybe a practice final exam for the class? anything at all would help

You know that one class in the school that everyone knows is slack but you never really think its worth taking since you're in IB and I mean, cmon, you're not gonna take weightraining when you can be doing calculus 49! But our school thought of a way around that! We have this class called Design Technology. For some reason its IB, and maybe around the world it's a good normal IB class like phsycology (completely pointless class but is recognzied by IB for some weird reason I have yet to understand), but in our school the class is...well we don't know what it is. Ask any of the 300 kids taking it and they'll tell you this: "We play Halo".

ezex is completely right. We're both in the same school but I am in my second year of design tech as I am a senior. Probably the slackest class I have and the one I look forward to every day. I usually don't do the work during the grading period then at the end I do it in one fell swoop and turn it all in for an A. We do design cool stuff like bridges and wallets made of recyclable material but usually this is done within one or two classes so it doesn't take much time. If the class is different in your school and you actually have a teacher that will do something, it should be a really educational class and you should have no problem passing the test. I plan to gather all those packets in April and just read through them as fast as I can. From what I have heard the test is mostly common sense, and studying the day before will get you a 4+.

• 1 month later...

IB Design Tech SL is probably the most slack IB class at my school (next to Physics SL) and most of the people in the class are not even full IB. All we do is listen to the teacher present power point slides on repetitave information and then do design investigations (like one that was simply based on 'recycling').

Anyways, we took the IB test - paper 1 and 2 - for our semester exam and here is my feed back from it (and his scoring)-

- paper 1 is easy, around 30 multiple choice and if you learned anything during the year you'll get like 25 right no problem

- paper 2 is CRAZY hard. Its a bunch of free response type stuff that is, apparently, very specific; in other words you actually have to have learned something during the year.

My finial word is if you have played Halo the entire time get a text book and a few sample tests, learn the info in about two weeks and get a high mark.