Influence of TV advertising

Icandoit

Hello everyone :P

So, my EE is making slow progress, but it is really hard to make up my mind about the research question. Now it is:

How has TV advertising influenced the ideal of beauty of US American women?

It is meant from the first time it was done about 50 years ago. My supervisor adviced me to write that in the abstract and not include in the question.

I just went over the criteria again. So, do you think it is focused enough? I would like to have something special in there, not so usual, and I just cannot find it in there, even though it is a topic which really interests me.

Thank your for reading and hopefully you are able to comment on the question :P

Is this EE for psychology? I think your scope is a bit broad, since "TV advertising" can mean anything. Maybe you could narrow it down to specific kinds of adverts (e.g. ones for cosmetic products/ones for clothing/ones for jewellery) and actually choose specific advertisments/comemrcials that you will analyse. For example, if you chose 3 commercials (one representing each of the three categories I mentioned before) and analyzed them for their psychological effects on women of a specific age-group (this is better than just saying "women") and how the comemrcials achieve their effects by appealing to basic instincts in humans (discuss the different schools of psychological thought and how advertising manipulates human channels of thinking).

A better form of your question would then be "In what ways do television commercials manipulate women and appeal to the way that they think?", with specific reference to _____ (names of commercials) and their efefcts on women aged ____ to ____, because you will be discussing the ways in which television commercials affect women rather than effects. This would be a less obvious question than the one you suggested (as we can all guess the effects, such as anorexia, distorted body image and low self-esteem). Your original question wouldn't be really presenting anything new per se (my classmate wrote her EE on almost exactly the same topic). The commercials will also be primary evidence, which is good for the sources section of your EE.