ToK Presentation - Knowledge Issues?

rAiiNaa.xx

My TOK Presentation topic is: "To what extent can we trust the media?" and I need some help with finding Knowledge Issues...

I had talked to my TOK teacher about it and she just said to look up the syllabus and stuff for help... but it isn't really helping me~

Anyone got any suggestions with a possible knowledge issue that could get me started?

"To what extent does the media obscure our views of events"

Quit freaking out, this is TOK. I'm kind of put off by the fact that you would take on a topic which you couldn't even identify any knowledge issues from... but whatever.

our

I don't know what your problem is, because honestly, the syllabus is probably the best place to look for good TOK bits to throw into your presentation. If its not helping you, its because you aren't narrowing down your topic and focusing on the right stuff or, you just aren't reading. Let's start by looking at your topic title: "to what extent does the media obscure our views of events."

Ask yourself what ways of knowing are you questioning and how do they interact with your topic? This should get you off to a good start. Then read the TOK Subject Guide and if you still have questions, make sure they are less broad, and ask away.

can we tone down the abuse in help threads guys? I always like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume people tried to do it themselves before coming to ask help here. Just try and be nicer to the newer members. Sometimes they need discussion to start their ideas off! I did when I was a noob...

It could be a TOK issue, it's just a bit broad. You should narrow down the aspect of media you wish to look at first, are you looking at sitcoms or news? and then go from there.

You can show how the developement in mediums because of technological innovations had created new oppertunities to manipulate knowledge, Propaganda in Nazi Germany, and USSR post WWII being some examples. In Nazi Germany number of radios in households increased a good 70% in the 1930s to be able to successfully promote their propaganda... little info like this would help you. I could tell you it all but I already did my propaganda exam don't need to do it again =D

Other things you could weigh out is how information changes when it is moved through many individuals. Do you know the game broken telephone? anyway look at how it is more unreliable because of the process it needs to go through before being released, this being news. So you could use this argument in the WOK language..

Bias is another problem of knowledge, mostly political in the news.

I would go on, but I'm bored now :) and am gonna go moderate something. But you have lots to discuss on this issue, so narrow it down and do some reading!

• Like 3

Thanks.

Yeah, I am focusing on Television (mostly news), Advertising and the Internet.

I have started doing stuff on the Nazi Propaganda and was thinking of throwing in that scene from "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" where he sees the concentration camp ads...

And I'm doing some research on like Tiannamen Square because there was this edited picture of the Tank Man, where they had put a crowd on the side of the picture and when they showed witnesses the picture they said that there was a huge crowd when the even took place.

And Wikipedia.

So that covers Art and History ways of knowing.

And my Areas of Knowledge are Emotions and Sensory Perception.

I have some ideas for Knowledge Issues but how would I incorporate them into my presentation?

you;d want to structure your presentation with ideas and problems regarding TOK. So for example "problem of knowledge created by language" could be the title of the slide and then you can explain bias through language, and then give the example of how news show certain political bias using specific language. For example some US stations calling terrorists "Islamic extermists" which stereotypes the religion as a violant one.

same with the rest of the points you mentioned, you need to idenitfy how the knowledge is being gained, or isn't for that matter, then use your exaplne to prove it.

If that makes sense?

please note: news is a show, a broadcasting. The internet is a medium, like tv and the radio. Advertising is an industry on its own. Don't make the mistake of generlising all those into one category.

what I meant was specify the broadcastings you want to look at, which is the news apaprently... don't think you need to narrow down the mediums...