What course is year 1Math SL comparable to?

powa2

Hi, I live in Canada and I'm wondering what course is year 1 Math SL comparable to in your country?

In British Columbia, Canada, I think Math Sl would be the same as Math 11 principles + Math 12 principles + intro Calculus.

I think in Finland Math SL = 3/4 of the "long" Maths course (you can study either "short" or "long" Math, like SL and HL). The rest of the Finnish long maths is made up of some IB Math HL stuff. I think some IB HL stuff is only covered in university in Finland.

In BC, you're pretty much right: it's basically Math 11/Math 12/intro to Calculus 12, although I hear it doesn't even go as far as Calculus 12 in some respects. Of course, some stuff that's covered in Math 11/12 are taken into a further extent in IB Math SL, and some topics aren't even covered at all.

For my school, in Year 1, we covered some topics in all 3 courses, such as trig, matrices, logs, arithmetic/geometric sequences/series, and I assume we're doing vectors/probability/calculus next year, to cover the rest.

In Sweden Maths Sl is equivalent to Matematik B which is one year off Matematik C which you would take when you graduate. I know this because I did Svenska B and it is equivalent to Swedish A1 SL.

In France Maths Sl 1 year is equivalent to the Maths you do in the Bac L (Baccalauréat Littérature) which you do one year in advance, one year in advance before graduating and doing the exams in the rest of your subject. In the Bac S (Baccalauréat Scientifique) you do French Literature exam one year before the rest of the exams to lessen the workload and let you get on with the subjects specified to your course. Except they do French instead of Maths to reduce the workload.

In the UK (excluding Scotland and Northern Ireland) the Maths SL course over two years is at a slightly higher level than Maths A level or equivalent. I know this because I have had many inductions when the school offered the availabily to apply to other A level Sixth form colleges in the area and explained the differences between IB and A level and also the Pros and Cons. Further Maths which consists of (2 A levels) lies (difficulty wise) between HL Maths And SL Further Maths.

We were told that SL Maths is comparable to something lying just between AS Level and A Level Mathematics in the UK. Our school teaches both and the teachers reckon the actual level of material covered is more or less just AS material, but that it's harder because we get far fewer teaching hours and comparatively like zero practice time! So all in all it adds up to slightly easier than the 2 year Maths A Level course, but not quite as easy as AS Maths. So I'm told :P

Interesting.

In my school, there is no such class as IB Math for year 1 or year 2.

In Year 1, we take Precalculus, which is a review of and in-depth reteaching of trig, vectors, matrices, probability and basic statistics, and basic calculus if your class doesn't waste too much time--basically it's a refresher of algebra plus random math topics.

In Year 2 we take AP Calculus AB or BC [AB is the equivalent of 1 semester of calculus 1 in uni, and BC is like 2 semesters of calculus in uni.]

Edit: Then everyone takes the Math SL exam. There is no option to take HL or Further Maths or Math Studies. I suppose if someone wanted to do self-taught, they could. Too bad no one knows this... oh well.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

IB1: Calculus AB, IB2: Calculus BC.

People choose to take SL Math exam in IB1 or HL Math exam in IB2. Those who are in Precalculus by the time they are in IB1/2 can self-study for Math Studies.

As of next year, HL Math is not being offered, so IB2 is a choice between no math, AP Calculus, or AP Statistics.

I think in Finland Math SL = 3/4 of the "long" Maths course (you can study either "short" or "long" Math, like SL and HL). The rest of the Finnish long maths is made up of some IB Math HL stuff. I think some IB HL stuff is only covered in university in Finland.

Meh. Kinda. Pre IB students in Finland do 5/14 "long" math courses, and it covers mostly stuff thats not in the IB syllabus at all, like circular equations and stuff like that. SL Math students do a lot less probability than "long" math students because there are lots of probability courses in the Finnish syllabus. On the other hand, SL Math covers stuff like matrices that are not in the Finnish syllabus at all.