I'm literally ****ed

Adamsuuu

Sometimes I truly wonder if there's anyone else out there that's as ****ed as Iam (well schoolwise)

I just finished IB1 & omw to IB2, The past year I didn't pass a single physics test (HL), neither did I pass any of my math tests (that's too HL, although it's not called HL)I manage all occurring tasks etc on all lectures although I don't take any notes so the very next day it's all outta my head again.I mean why take notes, it's all in the books right?

I've got EE to be handed in after the summer vacation and did I start yet?....Well not really.. Do I have any sources?..well no cause I didn't show up the last week before the vacation to retrieve any books and you can't write your EE without any sources afaik. Is it really that important to get your supervisors feedback on your first draft..?

I actually passed like 3/10 biology tests so I guess that subject's going just fine.

What's the problem? Well It's not a matter of learning difficulties, it's more like a matter of motivation & starting to do stuff but I mean, I can't possibly imagine taking time to do homeworks & other assignments, it just feels wrong.

Neither am I reading any books, thus far I've managed to write essays & all imaginable tasks in my native language (Swedish) without anything read yet, but as the IB test or w/e you refer to it is coming ahead I'll need to know all pieces by heart.

I wish all subjects were more like Business & M since you don't really have to do anything to pass that, it's all about using your common sense and you're fine

And let's not even mention CAS unless you have any outstanding ideas of how one could pass that in a rather simple way

The way I see it, you have two paths you can take.

IB hasn't been a priority for you so far, so let it stay the same. Good chance you won't get the diploma. If that's not a problem, then that seems like the way to save effort.

Or, if you want your diploma, and you're trying to straighten your act, then your motivation truly needs to come from you. Make your own schedule--you're more likely to stick to it. What I'd suggest is going to the local library or doing so internet searches for your EE topic. If you have the topic, go to your local library to get your sources. Once you get a feel for the info, make an outline for your essay. Contact your supervisor immediately and tell him or her that you've screwed up, and you realize it, but you're serious now. Keep him or her updated and show him/her the outline. It's quite important for the supervisor to see your first draft. Not only for you but for IB too. They can't tell if you've plagiarized or not if they don't know that you started from scratch.

Also, there's no magic solution for CAS. It's easier if you're doing things you like, but either way, it needs to get done. Click here to see what 100+ people have done.

You said doing homework feels wrong. Why? Do you think that you don't need to do it? That it's busy work? It's usually not, and it will help you. If you decide not to do any homework or assignments, see the first path again.

One more thing. On some level, most of us take education for granted. Even if we pay tremendously for it. There are countless adolescents who are illiterate. They don't have access to any of the opportunities you have. If you don't want to do IB, don't. No one's holding a gun to your head. However, you've got it set, compared to many others. Even as you zone out through your classes, you have access to something priceless. It's your choice what you do with your opportunities. It's never too late.

• Like 2

No, you are not "literally ****ed." Ordinarily Grammar Nazis like myself would give you a pass as English isn't your first language, but as you're in IB - and obviously speak English with some fluency, since if you hadn't said your native language was Swedish I would never have guessed - there's no excuse.

You're essentially boasting that you're a terrible student and expecting the rest of us to 1) care and 2) empathize. You also answered your own implicit question by admitting that you have no motivation. Well, fix that. No one can fix it for you. If you're really incapable of self-motivation, either drop IB, or get yourself adopted by a Psychology student and let them try their operant conditioning skills on you.

• Like 1

I think you are done for high school, or at least at the edge. The best thing that will come out of this is that you will find yourself in a okay college and maybe pursue a good grad school you'd like to go to. 3/10 in Biology is not good either :P

You are going to have to work really hard, and seeing as how you treated the topic, your efforts won't get you far.

If you go into college thinking that every class is like business and M, you will find ZERO classes like that one. Maybe an botanical/insect crazy class, where no one is sitting in a classroom except bugs + teacher.

You need to straighten up, and not just do things, but do them well. You are in jeopardy of not passing your exams and not being prepared for college at all.

Think hard about what you want to do, and how to motive yourself.

Your summer is really not that busy at all. I have friends who attend several university courses, and I myself work at a hospital and then go to the near-by college for studies. When I come home I work on the chem + bio syllabus, and any time other than that I am tackling SAT II bio + chem, college stuff, EE, SAT, ACT, reading Med school books, volunteering. If others can do so much more than that, you can do a lot better.

Start thinking about where you are headed now, and where you want to go with it.

Get motivated. Do homework. Take notes. The rest of us are/have, and we will have or have diplomas to show for it. There are no "simple" solutions to the IB; that's the point.

BM needs you to have common sense to pass; so does the IB. So get your act together before it's too late.

If you're genuinely unmotivated and won't be able to motivate yourself, you should perhaps consider dropping out and either finding another course or giving up on education. You can be smart enough to learn, but if you can't be bothered, there comes a point where you're just kinda stuffed. By the time you've reached IB level, you can no longer doss around because the course has too much content and is too complicated to expect to breeze through. It does work up to a point, but definitely for IB that point has been overstepped.

In my opinion, seeing as everything points to you being "literally ****ed" this year (and I agree, you don't appear to be on top of any aspect of your work - not even average or just below it!!) you should rethink how you want everything to go. If you find you really do want to reverse the situation and are willing to motivate yourself, see how much ground you can make up by Christmas and if you really haven't been able to do enough (you are running out of time anyway), get yourself put into the year below you and repeat IB2. Take your exams in 2011. Seeing as you messed up IB1 so severely, if you're intent on actually doing well or passing through the IB with some degree of merit, you may well need the extra year to repair the damage!

Well, you seem to have chosen the wrong programme. Change to a national programme or redo the IB.

You don't seem to be able to make this. If you're determined to, just prioritise, make a plan, stick to it and hope that you'll get 24 points.

I'm in a similar situation as you. Or rather, I was. I'm not doing much better now, but at least I'm not failing anything anymore, and I can still manage to get 24/25 on my essays. One thing you should look at in your life; who your friends are. In the beginning, I was only friends with the depressing pessimists, and that can really wear you down after a while. Try talking to those annoyingly perky people who are constantly getting perfect scores on every project they endeavour to do; they served as greater motivators than anything else I've tried.

what i'm going to say is pretty much going to echo everyone else

it's your choice: be a lazy ass and expect everything to magically fix itself without you having to raise a finger OR, get off your ass, ditch the attitude and start working

i can't criticize on your lack of motivation since that's something i struggle with too - but hey, even if you hate it, you need to force yourself to do it.

if you start to dedicate yourself now, you will make a difference in your results and more importantly your mindset.

IB isn't fun and games, if that's what your going after then change courses, or take the initiative and do something

your choice to make. No ones going to pull the hard yards for you so face the facts, if you don't start helping yourself then no one will.

Well like everyone above me has stated, you gotta start working if you want to be successful.

If not, a friend of mine dropped the full IB and continued with certificates. Maybe that is the best option for you but I mean you started the IB so you obviously aren't stupid. Why do you do this to yourself?

Nonetheless, if you honestly believe IB is not worth your time, drop it. Move on to different things and you will definitely be successful at whatever you are meant to do or good at doing.

I'm in a similar situation as you. Or rather, I was. I'm not doing much better now, but at least I'm not failing anything anymore, and I can still manage to get 24/25 on my essays. One thing you should look at in your life; who your friends are. In the beginning, I was only friends with the depressing pessimists, and that can really wear you down after a while. Try talking to those annoyingly perky people who are constantly getting perfect scores on every project they endeavour to do; they served as greater motivators than anything else I've tried.

I see your point, but do you really think one should choose friends according to how well they do in school?

bahaha good point?

However, I find myself hanging around with people who think like me in the sense that they are motivated and know the importance of a good education [which is vastly different than just any education] Grades are often indicative of how motivated a person is, and in my school, if you're not doing well in IB, you don't really stay in. There are some exceptions, and one of my best friends is one. I love her to death. She's the hardest working person I know, and I feel sad when she doesn't get the scores she deserves. She makes me want to be a better person and a better student.

If you think someone is 'annoyingly perky' you guys aren't going to mix well in the first place. But looking to talk to people who make you guilty [:D] and want to work harder? Ehh I can't blame ya.

• 1 month later...

You need to get your *ss in gear and get to work!

When I read about how you were doing so far, I was quite shocked. But now isn't the time to be vexing over past events. You need to fix what you've messed up! Once your sure that's what you want to do, get started right away.

Browse around the web to see what kind of EE topics are available. E-mail your IBC and tell him/her your in trouble. I also recommend you e-mail your teachers and ask them for advice. Maybe ask to get those tests back and see where you've went wrong.

Use your textbooks to make your own notes. Writing notes is a way of remembering stuff!!!

Also do plenty of past papers and check them according to the mark schemes. Use the mark schemes to see where you're going wrong. Make notes on the areas where you're getting confused, then study the more difficult chapters.

Don't mess around, if you use this summer wisely, you may just be able to turn things around for you. You also need to make a CAS plan!!!

do as much volunteering, planning, sports as possible and add this to your cas. Be creative and find ways to complete the IB so that you enjoy it as well, otherwise, it will be a horrible experience!