EE on the 60's, topic choice

mandapleasexx

Hi, im having a hard time figuring out exactly what i should be proving so i was hoping for some advice!

I can write about how during the 60's, festivals such as monterey, woodstock, and altamont reflected society..and not that the festivals influenced society..

whether or not the hippie movement was in some way a revolution (because of present issues such as feminist rights, more liberalism, drugs, etc.)

or how festivals between the 60's and 80's couldnt have happened without the previous festival(which i dont like)

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, and quickly too because its due tomorrow :P

Which subject are you aiming to write for? History?

yes history.. i was hoping to do how society influenced the festivals. thats what i started writing my paper with. but i feel like its common sense because obviously something had to go on for people to get these certain themese for festivals so i feel like i have nothing to write about..

Well before you start the topic, and particularly if you're divided and aren't sure where the information is, I'd actually do some research into the background first and start out by finding your references. Then you can evaluate what you have the most/best material for and decide in one fell swoop which question would be best to do in terms of having plenty to say and finding it interesting - or even if the topic isn't worth doing. Also it'll help you see if you ought to narrow your question down. 'Society' is a really big kettle of fish, and you might end up substituting it with something a lot more specific, such as a particular aspect or part of society.

When you're undecided about the question, I always think that (as you're going to have to do it anyway) doing your research and getting well settled in your field is firstly a lot better than wasting time dithering and anxious about the direction of your essay, and secondly actually helps make sure you direct your essay extremely tightly and with due decision when you do come round to deciding on your title :P

I think asking the question whether or not the hippie movement was really a social revolution is maybe the best out of the ones you have. You would need to research what exactly constitutes the idea of a "social" revolution, and see whether the changes described apply to the movement. Define a specific time period for the hippie movement that you will evaluate (because it can be difficult to decide when it ended).

thats what i started writing my paper with. but i feel like its common sense because obviously something had to go on for people to get these certain themese for festivals so i feel like i have nothing to write about..

Don't you write anything until you have it all clearly planned in detail.