Sign in to follow this  

World Lit 2c: Detailed Study

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on my WL2 assignment which is a detailed study of a key passage from Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House, and I was just wondering about the format of this assignment.

Would it simply look like a regular essay/commentary with a statement of intent at the beginning?

I'm not sure you need a SoI for a commentary, but it's like any other passage commentary except you attach the passage you used at the end due to different translations etc. (my teacher even made us photocopy the passage from the book to show authenticity)

No, statements of intents are only for creative WLs, that is 2b. Ther are some possible approaches to a 2c essay.

1. A formal essay - as I understand, just an ordinary essay.

2. Analysis of a key passage - choose an important part and make sure you explain why it is important.

3. Analysis of two key passages - the same as above, but you compare two different passages from the same work.

4. Commentary on an extract - seems to me like a P1.

:P

I did one of these and it's more or less as Tilia describes, like a paper 1 commentary on the passage of your choice (30 lines worth) but as you're meant to have studied the whole book, it's important to show it - so it's like a commentary in which you HAVE to show context, even though you're only doing a small passage. Titles are usually along the lines of "the significance of chapter [x] to [x]". Make sure you keep referring out to the rest of the text.