World Lit Extended Essay

kara2010

So I am working on my World Lit Extended Essay. I am wondering if my subject has enough depth and meaning to it. I want to compare the book and movie of "Like Water For Chocolate". Im going to compare the food imagery and description. I want it to show how it makes the book/movie and also how it differs between the book and movie. Does this sound like it has enough to it or does it need something more? I would appreciate your input :P

So I am working on my World Lit Extended Essay. I am wondering if my subject has enough depth and meaning to it. I want to compare the book and movie of "Like Water For Chocolate". Im going to compare the food imagery and description. I want it to show how it makes the book/movie and also how it differs between the book and movie. Does this sound like it has enough to it or does it need something more? I would appreciate your input :P

There is no such thing as a world lit extended essay in IB. Do you mean the World Literature Assignment or the Extended Essay? Either way, your subject is not suitable for a successful IB paper in English A1. You can't compare a book and its movie version.

• Like 1

I think she means an Extended Essay with the associated subject being World Lit.

I believe you'd need to find an actual novel to compare it with, as Deissi said. Have you ever read Chocolat by Joanne Harris? I read it ages ago and always thought it might be a cool comparison, although being fair I can't remember if I only thought that because they both had Chocolate somewhere in the title! :P

• Like 2

Either I understood the World Lit, wrong or they both didn’t mention it. The world Lit assignment is supposed to be two works in a different language than they were originality written (translated). As for Extended Essay, it says that you can not be using works written in different languages (translated). Basically, if you are doing your Extended Essay in English A1, then you MUST use works that were originally written in English. Read the Extended Essay guide, and criteria, that will help give you a better idea.

• Like 1

Ok thanks to all of you, I read some things and figured out why my current topic would not work for my Extended Essay English A1. Now I have come up with a different topic: I want to compare Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" and Denise Giardina's "Emily's ghost: A Novel of the Bronte Sisters". I want to compare the men and women relations in the two. Does this sound better?

Ok thanks to all of you, I read some things and figured out why my current topic would not work for my Extended Essay English A1. Now I have come up with a different topic: I want to compare Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" and Denise Giardina's "Emily's ghost: A Novel of the Bronte Sisters". I want to compare the men and women relations in the two. Does this sound better?

Or "Wuthering Heights" with "Wuthering High: A Bard Academy Novel"?

Hey you are thinking on the right track but as some others said too broad, since u r comparing the book and the movie, u need to be very careful, the literature rulez dnt go for movies, i'm a IB film student, you need to read "film studies" teach yourself guide to get through the movie and ofcourse you know what to do with the book, then I think things might seem more interest and a lot easier for you, also it will add wieghtage to ur research aspect. Hope this helps. ^_^ Gud Luck wid it.