What should I major in? Which University should I go for that Major?

talktome

Alright, so I think I have to decide on what I have to major in soon, because I'm still quite unaware of where I want to go, and how much I should aim for..

I'm taking B&M HL, History HL and English HL, my SL subs are math studies, ess, and chinese b.

I hope that I don't have to deal with math in university, so hopefully the major compromises of no math components or little math components in the courses...

I like the sound of Public Relations... Mass communications, Business communications... etc but I don't know the exact differences between the subjects... can someone explain the different majors to me? Thanks so much!

Other than that, I'm aiming for a IB score of 40 and above, so hopefully a university that is prestigious and well recognized...

I would like to go to a university that is based in a city,I don't really enjoy countrysides...

Edited by talktome

Hello Singaporean. You go to ACS right? :P Am I right in saying that you have exams in November instead of March? and if so, do you want to go the West (i.e. America or the UK) or the East (Australia or NZ)? Also, will you be doing NS post or pre university? (that is, if NS is applicable to you)

How does International Relations sound? Marketing?

Hello Singaporean. You go to ACS right? :P Am I right in saying that you have exams in November instead of March? and if so, do you want to go the West (i.e. America or the UK) or the East (Australia or NZ)? Also, will you be doing NS post or pre university? (that is, if NS is applicable to you)

How does International Relations sound? Marketing?

Wow, yeah I do go to ACS C: Yes I will be having my exams in November. I'm thinking more of the West... and no I don't have NS, I am not a Singaporean.

What do International Relations compromise of...? I'm interesting in Marketing, but doesn't that have several mathematical components?

International Relations: http://www.polis.leeds.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduates/ba-international-relations/course-content.php

Marketing: http://www.strath.ac.uk/marketing/prospectivestudents/honoursmarketing/coursestructure/

Marketing will have a bit of maths, nothing more than studies. It really depends on what you're up to doing really.

There are some well recognised media courses you can take in the UK if you are looking to the West (for public relations and such). Bournemouth University (UK) has a really good reputation for media and communications. I'm on their website now and it says their communications courses are accredited by "The Chartered Institute of Marketing" and also "The Chartered Institute of Public Relations." (Their media and film courses are accredited by Skillset, which is another area altogether but it's still impressive).

Take a look at this http://media.bournemouth.ac.uk/accreditations/cmc.html (This explains about their courses being accredited by CIM and CIPR) There are also links to their BA Honours courses in PR, Marketing, and Advertising.

I think LCC (London College of Communications, which is part of University of Arts London) also offer PR and other related courses. I visited LCC and didn't like the area much, though the college itself was quite impressive.

Have a read of what you'd be doing in each of these courses and see how it makes you feel! When my friend was trying to decide what course to take/what uni to study in she read course overviews on websites and also course content. Whatever made her feel excited, she kept that course in mind.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Flippy

There are some well recognised media courses you can take in the UK if you are looking to the West (for public relations and such). Bournemouth University (UK) has a really good reputation for media and communications. I'm on their website now and it says their communications courses are accredited by "The Chartered Institute of Marketing" and also "The Chartered Institute of Public Relations." (Their media and film courses are accredited by Skillset, which is another area altogether but it's still impressive).

Take a look at this http://media.bournemouth.ac.uk/accreditations/cmc.html (This explains about their courses being accredited by CIM and CIPR) There are also links to their BA Honours courses in PR, Marketing, and Advertising.

I think LCC (London College of Communications, which is part of University of Arts London) also offer PR and other related courses. I visited LCC and didn't like the area much, though the college itself was quite impressive.

Have a read of what you'd be doing in each of these courses and see how it makes you feel! When my friend was trying to decide what course to take/what uni to study in she read course overviews on websites and also course content. Whatever made her feel excited, she kept that course in mind.

Hope that helps!

Thanks alot for that comprehensive reply and well-thought reply. I've checked out both universities, I'm wandering what is the best universities worldwide for Public relations/Communications.

I've looked at

University of Berkeley - Business administration, mass communication, media studies

university of Cornell - Communications Media studies (major)

Will any of this courses involve math components? Sorry I'm not that experienced with universities so I hope I can get as much advice as possible

I doubt media studies or communications would have that much Maths in it. Business Administration might have a little bit more.

So are you veering towards the US then? Because Bournemouth University is very well-known for its media courses in the UK. I'm afraid I don't know very much about US unis so I can't tell you much there.