EE help! Please answer a few questions!

niilankwei2001

Just need as many people as possible to help out with this short questionaire so i can get as much info frok reliable sources for my extended essay. Please people, really need your help!!! Thanks to everyone in advanced.

1) How many music CD’s have you bought this year?

2)How many music CD’s had you bought around this time of year 5 years ago?

3)Has the number of music CD’s you have purchased reduced?

b) - If yes, please state why.

4)What effects do you think the decline in the sale of music CD’s may have on a country’s economy if any?

5)Can the current methods of distribution of music (online stores etc.) cater for the decline of the sale of the music CD in the music industry as a whole?

b) - If yes/no, why?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

1. Zero

2. One

3. I wouldn't really say so. I've never been a CD player type person. Cassettes wayyy back in the day? yess

4. Hmm haven't truly considered it. On the one hand, the music biz loses tons of money. On the other hand, the people who pirate gain money.

5. If you include free distribution, yes. Friends burn each other CDs all the time. Also, new singers/artists release their songs on the internet without charge to gain popularity fast via Youtube and whatnot.

Just a thought. You want a random sample. How will you know if your answers just come from one part of the world or one demographic? How will you be able to analyze these results?

EDIT: 14-17 & USA

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Age group: 14-17, canada

1) 2

2) 6-7 (cannot remember exactly)

3) Yes, probably I started using the internet more.

4) Music industry of the country probably loses a lot of money since their music is shared for free all the internet.

5) Yes, probably as mentioned earlier, small groups use various methods online in order get themselves recognized. Then music online spreads fast online for free and why would people pay for stuff they can get for free?

18-21, United Kingdom.

1) 2.

2) 1.

3) No.

4) I don't think it's too big a deal as presumably people are still buying the music, it's just more people prefer to buy it online than as actual CDs from shops (I do, too, I only buy CDs nowadays because you can get them ridiculously cheap!). Then again I have no idea how big an industry CD production is.

5)I presume so. Although many people still download legally, it's true that a lot of people don't.

Age group : 14-17

1) 0

2)1

3)Yes

b)the internet is a wonderful thing, that and most of my music isn't english so with shipping and everything it gets pretty pricey D:

4)definitely has a major in the music industry but in relation in a countries economy...it doesn't have an overwhelming influence on GDP or anything...

5)potentially yes

b) It can cater for it, but in general, the number of people who buy music is becoming the minority. so it's more a factor of, there isn't enough demand to cater for the decline in the first place

Edited by Chelleee

Age Group: 14-17

1) 0

2) 2

3)yes

b)For the most part, the CDs that I used to purchase were music or various programs. Nowadays, technology made it easier for people to download such things online.

4)The music industry might be losing a lot of money, but this is inevitable.

5)Yes.

b) Free downloads are still available for people, why would they download things legally (and pay) if they can just get it for free?

Edited by Peachez

Age group 18-21.

1) How many music CD’s have you bought this year?

Zero

2) How many music CD’s had you bought around this time of year 5 years ago?

Zero

3) Has the number of music CD’s you have purchased reduced?

Hasn't changed.

4) What effects do you think the decline in the sale of music CD’s may have on a country’s economy if any?

Stores that solely cell music CDs won't make profits and may go out of business. Owners will be forced to fire employees to squeeze their profit margin, thus increasing unemployment. Those newly unemployed will have less income (assuming they get benefit from the government) and have less money to spend on goods and services in an economy. Aggregate demand may thus decrease to a small extent, thus having implications upon the level of inflation, depending on the current state of the economy. However, as someone previously mentioned, artists may not be disadvantaged since their music will still be bought via other methods, although piracy may be taking overhand.

5) Can the current methods of distribution of music (online stores etc.) cater for the decline of the sale of the music CD in the music industry as a whole?

b) - If yes/no, why?

Definitely. People tend to listen to music on their mobile phones or iPods; going to a store to buy a CD would seem inconvenient if you can just buy the song online and download it within seconds. I can imagine that some people still prefer CDs though since they could last forever; after a computer crash, all bought songs may be gone and, depending on the service used to acquire the songs, may not be recoverable.

Good luck with your EE!

Because a country's macroeconomy is _by no means_ related to CD sales or the fall of them. Macroeconomic problems (GDP decline) will cause a fall in CD sales, but CD sales will not cause a macroeconomic decline. The size of CD sales relative to a country's (yes, whatever country's) economy is so small that it does not have an effect that can be measured, especially by an IB student.

• Like 2

Despite the fact that the fall of CD sales may seem to have an almost negligible effect on the macroeconomic issues, research will tell you much different. First of all, the sale of music in most European countries on average caters for about 1% +/- 0.1 of GDP, and the fall in CD sales not only reduces over-all revenue obtained by the industry, but has lead to 100's of major music stores to closing down, and more importantly, is the cause of 1000's losing their jobs.

Feel free to carry on in the direction I'm heading in, if you know what i mean. :D

Cheers

P.S. thanks for your concern anyway, had me worried for a bit. lol