Musical association

Sandwich

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have musical association?

• Yes!
    • Nope.
    • I actually have no clue.
    • Only one or two pieces of music, so... sort-of.

Okay this is probably entirely random, but I was wondering whether anybody else has the random and quite useless brain function known as musical association. It's basically just that, without intending to or thinking about it, certain songs bring back a particular mood, memory or atmosphere you were feeling/in at a certain time when you were listening to the music. You don't have to be musical (at least, I'm not!) but it's like a strong association thing. Kind of like how we associate certain smells with certain feelings (for instance the smell of your mum's perfume when you're little makes you feel secure).

As I found it quite cathartic, especially during the evils of the IB, I listened to loads and loads of music on the bus and while I was working/driving every day and have discovered, since finishing, that there are certain songs I've seriously managed to curse because they bring back memories of how miserable it all was! Similarly I have some songs which, for no particular reason, make me feel extremely happy, or even a couple which make me re-live being in the Mediterranean! :P

Seeing as I can't listen to these songs without my brain performing some strange scenario recall, I just wondered if anybody else has this happen to them? :P Or with smells or something else? I think it's very curious, myself! Emotive power of music :)

It's more that I get into the lyrics or the tempo. I don't think I have conscious 'association' because the same songs bring about different feelings sometimes. Also, the way I look at a song changes as I grow [mentally, emotionally, etc]. A friend told me I analyze music too much. Wellll yeah I do wanna know what the lyrics mean to the author, but the lyrics also mean something to me. Like when you think about the ending of The Handmaid's Tale [Margaret Atwood]. The author may have meant one thing, but she left it open to interpretation, and that is exactly what I do--interpret. Haha okay that was kinda a tangent!

So my vote's a no.

Yeah, I can absolutely relate with that. A lot of Muse songs remind me of cycling in Bali, Coldplay songs that are not Viva la Vida give me flashbacks of school. And I associate 'I don't want to miss a thing' with the Virgin Train's route from London Euston to Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton as a whole.

There are a lot more associations that I tend to make with music.

Songs by Quietdrive remind me of Japan because I heard their music when I was there on a school trip. I get a kind of "cold" feeling (it was a cool temperature when we went) and I remember how I was feeling about my friends and classmates on the trip. I also think of my pink hoodie that I wore when I was on the trip.

And a bunch of songs I listen to in the UK when I go back to visit always give me my "English" feeling. Don't know how to describe it...it's kind of like a "schema" I suppose, if you're in IB Psych. A collection of different things that feels like England.

Such a weird feeling XD But yeah, I think I have musical association