Should I do HL biology? Instead of HL maths

Dropkick

Hi guys, I am fairly new here but I thought I would try asking for some opinions on a mid-IB crisis I currently have:

I am just about to start my third term of IB, and when this term is over we are required to decide which SL/HL subjects we are taking. Right now I am taking HL maths and core bio (just SL content), but I am wondering if I should be doing HL bio instead? (and in doing so, drop maths down to SL)

I love both of them but I feel like a good mark in biology might be more attainable, just because the effort you put in will be rewarded... whereas with maths I don't feel like this will be the case (for me anyway). I find studying for bio a lot easier as most of it is simply rote learning, I can just sit down with a textbook and chill XD

I have gotten a 5 and a 6 in my maths test scores but 7's in bio, and I think these are close to what my final result would be in each subject (early prediction, I know). I am pretty sure I could go well in SL maths so the only question is how well could I go in HL biology?

I would appreciate any opinions from anyone who does/has done HL bio, and especially anyone who did/is doing both HL bio and math. I would like to know whether they think HL bio is a course worth taking and how difficult it is in comparison to maths! Thanks in advance.

Depends on your flair, but HL Bio would be easier if you prefer to learn a lot and spit it out in the exam. If your skill set is more defined to be application based, then Maths HL is better. But since you're already getting a high score on Bio, that's a good enough indicator of what you should do.

I am definitely a regurgitator ^_^ Some of those ambiguous maths questions completely throw me >_> and I have no idea how to even start. Whereas bio requires a lot less brain-strain.

I just wonder if there would be too much to learn in HL bio? As I hear there is a lot, and I havent had to learn any of it yet.

I know it's kinda early, and I almost feel like a hypocrite saying this because it wouldn't matter in the US, but look to see if the universities that you are interested look more favorably to one subject than the other. It would depend on what you want to do in life, as well. And all of this is subject to change, so no pressure. ^_^

At my school, only SL Maths is offered, but from looking at the material covered, HL isn't much worse. But take it from a grain of salt because I've been doing math competitions with my school since I was 12ish, so the style we learn from is quite different than mainstream, which is why I think what I think. I've heard many people curse HL and some people shrug it off. In math, there's a more appreciable difference in what you know and how you do on the test than there is in bio [in my opinion]. So if you're scoring 7s, that's great! HL bio will require a lot of work, but it may be your niche =) I think it's mine

My biased advice is do HL bio. I'm in love with the sciences I've taken, so that might have influenced my judgment :D

Math is, for me, a necessity, and I'm thankful that I can do well, but there's never been a spark, you know? Try to do something you love. I loved last year because I looked forward to the majority of my classes. It made my life much easier.

There is a lot to learn in HL (quite a lot more than SL!), but I have to say, HL Bio is generally considered a reasonably alright HL subject, where as HL Maths is internationally recognised as purest evil ^_^ If you're already getting higher marks in Biology, I would switch, unless Maths is going to be essential to you in the future. Honestly, Bio is going to be easier, and although it's got a lot of content to learn, it is learnable. All you have to do is make sure you allow plenty of time for it in your revision schedule and can go through the entire syllabus thoroughly in time for the exam. At the end of the day, though, my guess is that it'd give you a higher mark. There are very few people in this world who find HL Maths easier than Biology!

In terms of upping your overall final points score, I'd say you're onto a winner with HL Bio, relative to HL Maths, which is genuinely a very, very difficult subject, even for those with a good aptitude for it.

I am pretty sure maths has no place in my future haha, as much as I like it. With that being said though, I am considering medicine.. and I have a feeling bio might help me out with that :D just a little. In Aus (in the state I live in at least) it is pretty rare to need any prerequisite knowledge for a university, as they purely look at your final score majority of the time. In which case I am just trying to do the best I can for my diploma!

I agree wholely with your statement of HL maths being the purest evil >_> Last year it was my favourite subject without doubt, but IB just brought it down for me. Bio on the other hand ^_^ I enjoy, and I think i would be much more accepting of the workload.

If you are taking Medicine, I am sure that everyone would 100% recommend you for HL Biology.

Is there anything else you are considering?

I take HL Math and its challenging but I am just coping with it (5s and 6s without studying). Courses such as engineering and computer stuff highly favour HL Math. My prospect university's minimum requirements for most subjects is a 6 in HL Math so I have to keep the subject.

I am largely unsure at the moment, medicine is just a prospect.. nothing definite. I was thinking of something psychology-related as well (luckily I am going to do HL psych haha), but once again.. just a possibility.

You must be pretty good at maths to score 5/6 without study! I am that WITH study ^_^ But yeah, I can't see myself doing anything engineer/computer related so it isn't really a big deal for me. I would hate to have that pressure of a subject score to get into a uni : /

I got 99/100 in my Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics score because I really concentrated for that exam while doing the paper.

I started slacking in IB1 in Math so I started falling to a 6 and sometimes a 5. I am trying to pick it all back up now though before IB2 to make it a strong 7 again...

I don't think Math HL is an obligation for you. I would suggest you take HL Biology but how would you cope with the change? Can you study all the stuff you missed? (where have you reached in IB?) Do you like Biology? HL Biology is good for Psychology in future studies also...

Note: Math SL is child's play compared to HL.

99/100! Not bad! I am sure if you study enough you can bring it back up, sounds like you are definitely capable.

I think I would be ok, I am only 2 terms through - our biology class hasn't split into HL/SL classes yet so I haven't actually missed any HL content. My teacher though has been setting the 'pre-HL' kids with some extra work on related topics so they don't need to do it later. But I am sure I could catch up on it.

And yes, I do like biology haha.

I thought of the biology/psychology crossover before, and it does make sense ^_^ I like the neurobiology option for biological perspective in psych also - would help a lot.

I am not sure if anywhere else does this, but the HL students at my school are required to do the SL tests as take-home tests (to see where they are in comparison etc etc) and I have been acing them, so I am not too worried.

Hi guys, I am fairly new here but I thought I would try asking for some opinions on a mid-IB crisis I currently have:

I am just about to start my third term of IB, and when this term is over we are required to decide which SL/HL subjects we are taking. Right now I am taking HL maths and core bio (just SL content), but I am wondering if I should be doing HL bio instead? (and in doing so, drop maths down to SL)

I love both of them but I feel like a good mark in biology might be more attainable, just because the effort you put in will be rewarded... whereas with maths I don't feel like this will be the case (for me anyway). I find studying for bio a lot easier as most of it is simply rote learning, I can just sit down with a textbook and chill <3

I have gotten a 5 and a 6 in my maths test scores but 7's in bio, and I think these are close to what my final result would be in each subject (early prediction, I know). I am pretty sure I could go well in SL maths so the only question is how well could I go in HL biology?

I would appreciate any opinions from anyone who does/has done HL bio, and especially anyone who did/is doing both HL bio and math. I would like to know whether they think HL bio is a course worth taking and how difficult it is in comparison to maths! Thanks in advance.

HL Maths and HL Bio are 2 completely different subjects and the way in which you study for them are different as well. In my opinion, I think it would be best for you to stick to Bio HL because it seems as though rote learning puts you in a more comfortable position. Bio is quite straightforward and it's easy to picture the processes. You're getting 7s in Bio which indicates that you should pursue this subject. I personally wouldn't recommend you taking HL Maths because from what I heard, it's very difficult and it's a waste of time if you don't need it for your future studies (e.g. engineering). If you go to SL Maths, that's an easy 7 for you. By the way, from what I heard, HL Bio is much more interesting than SL Biology. Good luck!