No. of CAS Hours Record

My display name should indicate a hint to all... Please read the following.

After my first year of IB, I have completed:

Creativity: 600 hours

Action: 350 hours

Service: 500 hours

Total: 1450 hours...

I dare anyone to raise that number in the time period I have done my CAS in...

Two words: Bring IT

^_^

• Like 1

Congrats! If only you were actually rewarded for doing more than 25 per category... ^_^

I'm pretty sure people who're on serious sport teams probably do quite a lot more, though. I know the people on the rowing team at my school used to train for 3 hours a day (1 before school, 2 after), excluding Sundays, every week of the year including through the summer and winter holidays -- and that was just action. Takes a lot of committment though, so bravo :D I'd never do it, ahah!

Why did you do so many?

Good question...

My CAS journal is a website and details a bit about my activities:

http://www.mycasjournal.yolasite.com/

I do about 3-4 hours everyday. I am very involved in extra-curricular activities and I run quite a lot of activities myself so all the co-ordinating gets me plenty of hours. I still have a year to go so I think I might crack 2000 hours. I don't know if anyone has past that stage yet.

I have about 60 CAS activities also...

The person following behind me is less than a quarter of where I have reached.

I have a lot of references for university now through doing all this stuff and it gets a good reputation in school from a teacher's point of view also...

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. My mind has officially been blown. Congratulations!

I never really did any official breakdown for creativity, action, and service separately, because I was positive that I had achieved the required amount for each. I might have you beat in creativity, but definitely not the latter two. Once again...WOW.

I'd say that deserves a high five. *high five*

Edited by DeStijl

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. My mind has officially been blown. Congratulations!

I never really did any official breakdown for creativity, action, and service separately, because I was positive that I had achieved the required amount for each. I might have you beat in creativity, but definitely not the latter two. Once again...WOW.

I'd say that deserves a high five. *high five*

:) ... How many creativity hours did you get? <3 I am stopping my Creativity hours so that I can increase my other two because I want to even them out because my co-ordinator might not give me the CAS award then... Website designing is a major part of my creativity section.

How did you get more than 600 creativity hours?

Like I mentioned, I never really did an official tally of each separate component of CAS, so it's hard to say. Now that I think about it, I probably didn't make it to 600, but considering how much dancing I did, I'd say it's pretty close. I'm currently doing an approximation.

IB1

5.5 hours of dance classes every week x 35 weeks = 192.5 hours

3 hours of dance assisting every week x 35 weeks = 105 hours

15 hours of performances/dance exams/prep = 15 hours

IB2

4.25 hours of dance classes every week x 35 weeks = 148.75 hours

3 hours of dance assisting every week x 35 weeks = 105 hours

1.5 hours of ballroom every week x 10 weeks = 15 hours

10 hours of performances = 10 hours

20 hours of Lit Mag work = 20 hours

Total = 611.25 hours

OMFG. I wasn't really expecting it to be that high, but there you go. <3

Err...

I hope you realise that I have a YEAR left... <3. Only IB1 over.

I'm going to bring the rain next year before the CAS Programme ends...

I just need 12 more hours to beat you... I don't think there is a problem. I can beat you by tomorrow if you want even. :)

:D ... How many creativity hours did you get? :D I am stopping my Creativity hours so that I can increase my other two because I want to even them out because my co-ordinator might not give me the CAS award then... Website designing is a major part of my creativity section.

Your coordinator has to tick the box saying you've completed CAS after just 50 hours for each thing. You can't possibly not have the box ticked because the sections in what you did are "uneven"! CAS isn't really an award, it's more of a requirement. Like you are required to attend [X] hours of TOK lessons every year, or you are required to have less than [X] number of school absences. Once you've met the requirement, the box is checked.

On a random note: are you able to get all this stuff signed off? I know we weren't allowed to do anything without an official supervisor, so things like drawing in your own time, reading, web design (unless you attended an actual web design lesson given by somebody) etc. couldn't be counted. Also, if you're not writing up your reflections by now, and intend to actually log all of these hours, you should really start asap! Reflections take you daaaays to write, because you have to try not to be snarky and also avoid repeating yourself. It's not easy :D Bureaucracy!

Oh for crying out loud, CAS is not a competition. Most people just stop counting after they reach the requirements because the self-evaluations/reflections are such a pain. But if you want to count hours, I can tell you my friend got 500 hours of creativity just in the first semester of IB1 from being in a community play that rehearsed like crazy. If you've got commitment to something getting hours isn't a problem. You just get on and do the activity, you won't be counting it. After you've reached 50 each, it's pretty pointless/waste of time to count anymore anyway.

:D ... How many creativity hours did you get? :D I am stopping my Creativity hours so that I can increase my other two because I want to even them out because my co-ordinator might not give me the CAS award then... Website designing is a major part of my creativity section.

Your coordinator has to tick the box saying you've completed CAS after just 50 hours for each thing. You can't possibly not have the box ticked because the sections in what you did are "uneven"! CAS isn't really an award, it's more of a requirement. Like you are required to attend [X] hours of TOK lessons every year, or you are required to have less than [X] number of school absences. Once you've met the requirement, the box is checked.

On a random note: are you able to get all this stuff signed off? I know we weren't allowed to do anything without an official supervisor, so things like drawing in your own time, reading, web design (unless you attended an actual web design lesson given by somebody) etc. couldn't be counted. Also, if you're not writing up your reflections by now, and intend to actually log all of these hours, you should really start asap! Reflections take you daaaays to write, because you have to try not to be snarky and also avoid repeating yourself. It's not easy :D Bureaucracy!

Haha... No Sandwich... I probably assumed that all IB schools have the same stuff as mine but in our school we have an award called the CAS Award for one person in the Graduation ceremony. The person with the best CAS portfolio gets it. In terms of IB you are correct, you simply get it ticked off once you have completed the criteria for each section.

Yes... I get everything I do signed off. Basically, I do website designing in my own time and the teachers that I am doing it for see the work and give me the amount of hours I take. I can easily plaguarise the whole thing and double my hours and still get it signed but I have honour in the amount of CAS hours I have so I don't want to darken it...

I agree about reflections but you can see my website for that... My reflections are on an online journal/website...

http://www.mycasjournal.yolasite.com

Oh for crying out loud, CAS is not a competition. Most people just stop counting after they reach the requirements because the self-evaluations/reflections are such a pain. But if you want to count hours, I can tell you my friend got 500 hours of creativity just in the first semester of IB1 from being in a community play that rehearsed like crazy. If you've got commitment to something getting hours isn't a problem. You just get on and do the activity, you won't be counting it. After you've reached 50 each, it's pretty pointless/waste of time to count anymore anyway.

I know CAS is not a competition thought most people might assume it is... It is just interesting knowing if you have got the most... you know.

CAS is good for university applications though if you have done past the minimum.

Congratulations.

Thanks... :)

:) ... How many creativity hours did you get? :D I am stopping my Creativity hours so that I can increase my other two because I want to even them out because my co-ordinator might not give me the CAS award then... Website designing is a major part of my creativity section.

Haha... No Sandwich... I probably assumed that all IB schools have the same stuff as mine but in our school we have an award called the CAS Award for one person in the Graduation ceremony. The person with the best CAS portfolio gets it. In terms of IB you are correct, you simply get it ticked off once you have completed the criteria for each section.

Yes... I get everything I do signed off. Basically, I do website designing in my own time and the teachers that I am doing it for see the work and give me the amount of hours I take. I can easily plaguarise the whole thing and double my hours and still get it signed but I have honour in the amount of CAS hours I have so I don't want to darken it...

Thanks... :D

The best portfolio... you know I do believe someone somewhere somehow sorta said something about quality and quantity. Although if you tell enough people about your hours, I'm sure they'll start to favor the latter. Or get annoyed. Who knows how the human mind works?! :D

Also, isn't the point of service and the notion behind CAS to spend time helping the community at large, not looking for compensation? Each year, four people complete at least 1000 hours of service through my 'church.' However, they keep everything low key, which makes me respect them much more.

• Like 1

:D ... How many creativity hours did you get? :) I am stopping my Creativity hours so that I can increase my other two because I want to even them out because my co-ordinator might not give me the CAS award then... Website designing is a major part of my creativity section.

Thanks... :D

The best portfolio... you know I do believe someone somewhere somehow sorta said something about quality and quantity. Although if you tell enough people about your hours, I'm sure they'll start to favor the latter. Or get annoyed. Who knows how the human mind works?! :D

Also, isn't the point of service and the notion behind CAS to spend time helping the community at large, not looking for compensation? Each year, four people complete at least 1000 hours of service through my 'church.' However, they keep everything low key, which makes me respect them much more.

The VAST majority of people actually do focus on the number of hours... Quality seems to be lacking in most people's CAS activities.

However, I make sure that I don't make that mistake in that pitfall so I deeply focus on quality. Since I have so many activities, I usually spend most of my time doing everything as much as I can... as well as I can. 60 activities is quite a lot, especially if you co-ordinate more than half of those clubs and they all have reached a high level. The actual reason I have so many hours is that I was kind of used to doing so many acitivites for three years before IB so when I started IB... It was simply part of my daily routine. I didn't find it as difficult as most people do when they first encounter it.

What you said is completely true... People get annoyed when they hear my hours but they also go... wow... he has no life :D etc.

The point behind Service is to help the community without getting anything directly in return as you said. Also, being humble about your work is also something most people respect but some people like being recognised or they might have a different purpose/idea for doing it.

I find that Service to the community is very important to me. I have been doing a multitude of activities around school and i get recognised for it... though not through my doing or wishes but I have helped around so much that I got the Service Award from my school for the last three years...

I also have to admit that my life would never have been complete without CAS.

I have discovered so many new things through it. I tried out new stuff and I even found a career while doing it...

Err...

I hope you realise that I have a YEAR left... :D. Only IB1 over.

I just need 12 more hours to beat you... I don't think there is a problem. I can beat you by tomorrow if you want even. :D

Okie doke. I'm not competing, but if you feel the need to bring the rain, then bring it!

I hope you're placing just as much emphasis on your academics. :D

Err...

I hope you realise that I have a YEAR left... :D. Only IB1 over.

I just need 12 more hours to beat you... I don't think there is a problem. I can beat you by tomorrow if you want even. :)

Okie doke. I'm not competing, but if you feel the need to bring the rain, then bring it!

I hope you're placing just as much emphasis on your academics. :D

Hahaha... I am not competing either. I was just kidding...

Now you sound like my mom... :D

Ya... I get that a lot. Don't worry... I'm shifting my focus on academics now.