IB and Non-IB Classes

Feist

My school and another school in the area are the only ones that run the IB Programme. However, my school places IB and non-IB students in the same classes, whereas the other school has separate classes tailored toward IB students. I'm not implying that IB students should necessarily get some kind of superior treatment, but this year in pre-IB English my teacher pleaded for anyone who could switch around their schedules to do so so she could have all the IB students in one period. When the IB students would be discussing a book, the non-IB students would have to listen in confusion and I think it was just tedious since we always had to explain what was happening, and it was like running two courses at the same time. I assume that it will probably be different in real IB, however, due to seminars and such.

So my question is;

Do you think it is more advantageous to have IB and non-IB classes separate? If so, why and who does this benefit more? If not, why?

^_^

Try EVERYTHING in your power to get your own IB class. My Spanish and Physics class was IB+nonIB last year. All IB related stuff we did after class, on our own time, right before exams. This was because the teacher prioritized the other course [AP] over IB course.

My Spanish teacher would unnecessarily yell at the IB students about how we were all going to fail. And the AP kids would just get their cell phones out and start texting. Total waste of both of our times.

To answer your questions. It's advantageous to both parties involved to have separate classes for IB kids. Both types of students benefit because the teacher isn't either a) running around like a chicked with his/her head cut off or b) ignoring one or the other cirriculum.

I have a bazillion and one examples, so if you're wanting to convince teachers or your IB coordinator, PM me for more details.

oh dear,

having a mixed class isn't an ideal situation

fact is our curriculum is completely different -not to mention more demanding. considering the huge amount of coursework your expected to learn in 2 years, you really do need separate classes.

personally, my language A2 class is mixed OP (that's what we have in queensland - aust.) and IB but i don't mind that

but in terms of other subjects, it is pretty damn important to have your own class.

as for the benefits well, lessee, both sides get proper classes instead of a dodgy split which isn't particularly efficient. and also it gives the teacher to weigh both curriculums equally instead of TRYING to find a balance in a single class

Eeps, that's terrible. Demand your own lessons! The poor teachers can't teach both syllabuses/coursework/techniques etc. to a good level simultaneously! Really, there is no good effect it can possibly have on your education. Discussing advantages would be hard -- the only real advantage is that it's cheaper for your school!

You are definitely at a disadvantage being in a mixed IB/non-IB class. IB is a different program with it's own syllabus and needs to be taught separately. There may be lots of overlap with the regular curriculum but the teacher won't be able to give you their full attention when discussing IAs, doing mock exams etc if they have to deal with the non-IBers too.

Maybe you shouldn't get "superior" treatment, per se, but you certainly deserve and need different treatment. The IB programme and the regular academic curriculum are two completely dissimilar beasts, and trying to amalgamate them in one classroom setting is a recipe for confusion, wasted time, and being robbed of the education you need.

Obviously having separate classes would be beneficial for everyone. The IB students could zero in on their unique syllabi, and the "regular" students could avoid sitting around in confusion during discussions. The mixed setting is essentially benefitting no one. So it's kind of a crappy situation.

I agree with everyone else...a proper education is something worth fighting for. Talk to whoever you can, and go as high up as you need!

• 1 month later...

I also agree, having mixed classes is hurting your chances of doing very well in the IB. I think you need to talk to your teachers or parents or someone about this because it really makes a difference. Why not go straight to the principal and state your case? I'm sure it must have some effect. If it doesn't, it might be worth getting some of the other parents involved. Basically check whether any other IB students in your class are also worried and see if they are willing to do something about it. If they are, group together and address the school.

Good luck. If all goes wrong, you might want to consider changing schools but this will be very complicated and it might even be too late to do this.