Computer Science - Text Compression

nixstar

Hi,

I am about to start writing my extended essay but i need help on my research topic: Is LZW Compression More Efficient Than Huffman Compression?

I wanted to outline the compression and decompression process then in the conclusion summarise which is faster.

I would have liked to include an actual test by building an algorithm but unfortunately the coding would be too complex and long. So do you think this is enough? Or should i change the title a little bit?

Maybe i could compare three compression techniques?

Thanks in advance to all those that reply.

Hi there,

I think I'll tell you firstly that I doubt that I can help you much.

Isn't your research question from the EE guide on Computer Science? I apologise if it isn't but I have seen that question a large number of times on the Internet. For this reason, your Extended Essay might not get a good mark because of the lack of originality in the question - just a tip from my side.

I am also writing my Extended Essay in Computer Science but I am finding it very hard to analyse etc.

A key thing to remember about Extended Essay. It is ANALYSIS. Always...

I wrote my first draft (1000 words) and it turned out useless because I was too descriptive with information and I lacked analysis in it.

Good luck with yours. I hope someone else will be able to give you better advice than I have...

Hi there,

Isn't your research question from the EE guide on Computer Science? I apologise if it isn't but I have seen that question a large number of times on the Internet. For this reason, your Extended Essay might not get a good mark because of the lack of originality in the question - just a tip from my side.

I am also writing my Extended Essay in Computer Science but I am finding it very hard to analyse etc.

I wrote my first draft (1000 words) and it turned out useless because I was too descriptive with information and I lacked analysis in it.

Good luck with yours. I hope someone else will be able to give you better advice than I have...

I have taken your advice into account thanks. I just have to start again it looks like.... preferably something i could "ANALYSE"...

If i were to analyse a relatively new field in computer science and "future developments within the field that are currently experimental but beginning to look possible" how would i go about this?

I mean how would i be expected to structure the essay, just so i know i'll have all my bases covered =)

thanks again!

Hi there,

I have taken your advice into account thanks. I just have to start again it looks like.... preferably something i could "ANALYSE"...

If i were to analyse a relatively new field in computer science and "future developments within the field that are currently experimental but beginning to look possible" how would i go about this?

I mean how would i be expected to structure the essay, just so i know i'll have all my bases covered =)

thanks again!

Have you started writing anything of your old topic? The word 'analyse' is beginning to annoy the heck out of me too.

What you can do for your topic is to find a future development product video... you can carry out surveys about it as well. When you discuss your survey results in your EE, that is basically analysing (easy way out that I am also taking).

I too was planning to cover that same topic area but I guess I ran out of steam. I have seen lots of YouTube videos with future developments but if you want my personal advice, I'll tell you what...

My dad returned from a Microsoft worldwide conference for its partners and he told me that there was a HUGE presentation on future products by a guy called Bill Tuckson... Apparently, his video is on Day 3 of http://www.digitalwpc.com but I haven't been able to find it yet. If you find it, look through that because it speaks a lot of about new upcoming stuff like Surface tables (touch screen computers on a surface like a table). He says that doctors will have access to health records on their desk by simply placing the person's health card on top of the screen.

It is like the high-tech computer you see used in James Bond.

The most important thing to do before starting your EE and while choosing your topic is looking at the CS EE guidelines... You'll hate yourself if you find everything you did was not allowed or completely off so detail read it.

Have you started writing anything of your old topic?

Yeah i got about 1000 words in had a look at how to write such algorithms and thought - i can't do this! So i gave up =D.

The most important thing to do before starting your EE and while choosing your topic is looking at the CS EE guidelines... You'll hate yourself if you find everything you did was not allowed or completely off so detail read it.

I did exactly that this time that's where i got the "Future developments that are currently experimental but beginning to look possible" But i was going more for of Ludic Computing... I saw a talk about how they are developing software to make paintings through users entering the basic specs they want like art type/ brush stroke type etc...

I emailed the prof. who gave the talk and asked for a copy of the presentation so from it i could do more research.

The word 'analyse' is beginning to annoy the heck out of me too.

What you can do for your topic is to find a future development product video... you can carry out surveys about it as well. When you discuss your survey results in your EE, that is basically analysing (easy way out that I am also taking).

And yeah the word analyse is getting on my nerves too but i thought i would analyse how they could make the software easier to use because when we tried it out during the talk you had to go through about 50 different settings before the program could make the painting and that was as you could imagine a MASSIVE deterrent to using the (what i thought of it) amazing software.

Then i was thinking i would analyse why my suggestions wouldn't be so practical.

Keep up the good work!

(i thought i'd give you a bit of support there)

Edited by nixstar

Have you started writing anything of your old topic?

Yeah i got about 1000 words in had a look at how to write such algorithms and thought - i can't do this! So i gave up =D.

I did exactly that this time that's where i got the "Future developments that are currently experimental but beginning to look possible" But i was going more for of Ludic Computing... I saw a talk about how they are developing software to make paintings through users entering the basic specs they want like art type/ brush stroke type etc...

I emailed the prof. who gave the talk and asked for a copy of the presentation so from it i could do more research.

The word 'analyse' is beginning to annoy the heck out of me too.

And yeah the word analyse is getting on my nerves too but i thought i would analyse how they could make the software easier to use because when we tried it out during the talk you had to go through about 50 different settings before the program could make the painting and that was as you could imagine a MASSIVE deterrent to using the (what i thought of it) amazing software.

Then i was thinking i would analyse why my suggestions wouldn't be so practical.

Keep up the good work!

(i thought i'd give you a bit of support there)

Sounds like a good idea... Make sure that you keep self-evaluating your work while writing or even better, getting someone to read it who knows about EE so that you are not doing something wrong or off-track...