University of Waterloo Admission

DJ CAS

Hey everyone...

I was wondering whether someone could help me and inform me of the admission requirements of the University of Waterloo, Canada.

I am planning to study Computer Science. Does anyone know what they expect in particular?

In addition, what are the best universities in Canada for Computer Science?

You could have googled for their IB admission requirements, they're here. For CS it's "Higher Level Mathematics with a minimum final grade of 6. Two other Higher Level courses with a minimum final grade of 5. High Level or Standard Level English A1 or A2."

As for what's the best, I haven't done much research so I don't know anything useful :D All I know is that Waterloo and UoT seem to be the most talked about, with a bit more criticism towards UoT... Might wanna do a bit of searching on this :D

Edited by TidusBlade
  • Like 1

You could have googled for their IB admission requirements, they're here. For CS it's "Higher Level Mathematics with a minimum final grade of 6. Two other Higher Level courses with a minimum final grade of 5. High Level or Standard Level English A1 or A2."

As for what's the best, I haven't done much research so I don't know anything useful :P All I know is that Waterloo and UoT seem to be the most talked about, with a bit more criticism towards UoT... Might wanna do a bit of searching on this :D

Ok... Those are the minimum requirements though... Does anyone know what you need that will definetely get you in? like what do Canadian universities focus on in student applications?

The competitive average is different every year. They would have to see the admitted scores from last year and do a reasonable average for the next year. A big part of applying for UW is to do their AIF. TRUST ME it will be well worth it in the end if you do your AIF, especially if your program is competitive.

• Like 1

You can take a look at this link which will give you information specifically about Waterloo's Computer Science Program:

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190208_402_0

Again, that will probably give you minimums. If you can somehow find the range of averages that they let in last year, you will get a better idea of what you need.

Shorty is also right, the AIF is important. Waterloo will weigh the AIF more heavily for some programs than others, and it can give your average a boost as well.

As for reputation, Waterloo is probably the most renowned university for Computer Engineering in Canada. If you're among the best, you can get internships and co-op opportunities at companies like Google and Microsoft.

• Like 1

You can take a look at this link which will give you information specifically about Waterloo's Computer Science Program:

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_190208_402_0

Again, that will probably give you minimums. If you can somehow find the range of averages that they let in last year, you will get a better idea of what you need.

Shorty is also right, the AIF is important. Waterloo will weigh the AIF more heavily for some programs than others, and it can give your average a boost as well.

As for reputation, Waterloo is probably the most renowned university for Computer Engineering in Canada. If you're among the best, you can get internships and co-op opportunities at companies like Google and Microsoft.

Sounds good. I'm doing pretty well in Computer Science. All my tests have been high 7s so far...

What is AIF?

Thanks for the link btw... :D