Question about World Lit

Hi i'm writing my world lit now on The Reader and The Outsider (Stranger) and my teacher told us not to focus on the characters and treat them like they were real humans. but my question is "How do the writers present Hanna and Meursault as outsiders in the novels...?" I described what they did in the novel and why they are "outsiders". do you think that is okay>?

Don't forget to focus on the effects of language and literary techniques. Just "describing what they did and why they are outsiders" doesn't sound analytical enough, and it doesn't sound like you're going to focus on how the authors use language to emphasise their alienation or isolation. I didn't study "The Reader" but I did study "The Outsider", and one of the pieces of advice my teacher gave to us about writing WL on it was: try not to get too bogged down by all of the philosophy and remember the effect of language!

Good luck!

Don't forget to focus on the effects of language and literary techniques. Just "describing what they did and why they are outsiders" doesn't sound analytical enough, and it doesn't sound like you're going to focus on how the authors use language to emphasise their alienation or isolation. I didn't study "The Reader" but I did study "The Outsider", and one of the pieces of advice my teacher gave to us about writing WL on it was: try not to get too bogged down by all of the philosophy and remember the effect of language!

Good luck!

okay thanks. I was submerged inside the philosophical aspects of the novels i almost forgot that i am studying english

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i'm writing my world lit now on The Reader and The Outsider (Stranger) and my teacher told us not to focus on the characters and treat them like they were real humans. but my question is "How do the writers present Hanna and Meursault as outsiders in the novels...?" I described what they did in the novel and why they are "outsiders". do you think that is okay>?

Avoid a descripive essay!

Try to think about what techniques the authors used to portray them as outsiders, what their "outsider-ness" contributes to the novel, and what the effects are.

Remember that your essay consists an argument. Do not describe (under any circumstances) why these people were outsiders. Argue that they were outsiders because....

You should start each paragraph with : "Such and such is demonstrated to be an outsider by the authors use of extended metaphor... blah" or "The characters from both books are seen as outsiders by an audience due to an audience's insight into the mind of the characters rather than physical ostracization"

You want to construct each paragraph with:

STATEMENT: Such and such is seen as an outsider due to .....

SUPPORT: This is seen in "QUOTE FROM BOOK"

EXPLANATION: How this quote demonstrates your statement.

CONCLUSION: Therefore, the character's (actions, experiences, inner thoughts blah) contribute to the audience perception of the character as an outsider ...

Also, I would strongly advise you to narrow your topic, or make it a little more exciting. Arguing that the protagonist in 'The Outsider' is an outsider is not particularly enlightened. You can still argtue along the same lines, but focus more specifically i.e. conversation as an important technique in revealing the protagonists in the books "Blah" and "Blah" as outsiders.

If you are arguing something left wing or slightly different it is more interesting to you and your marker. Try and write something gripping. A moderator who picks up your essay after already reading 10 will be more inclined to grade you well if your essay makes his reading it and enjoyment rather than a chore.

Read the English syllabus. It tells you exactly what you need to do.

In World Lit essays, you always want to tie your argument to the authors' use of literary techniques. The essay topic can go a long way with that. Currently, your topic of "How do the writers present Hanna and Meursault as outsiders in the novels...?" may be too vague English-wise. I think that a better topic would be "How do the writers use such-and-such literary device to present Hanna and Meursault as outsiders in the novels...?" You know, mood, voice, metaphors, symbols, whatever works. Also try to weave the techniques into your descriptions. The graders are looking for an awareness of the "art of the author", as my teacher put it, or how an author uses his or her own style and combination of literary techniques to narrate the story and make it a classic. Give them what they want.