Question regarding CAS changed system?

I am starting the IB in September '09 and I recently inquired about the IB to a friend of mine.

She said that the IB CAS system had changed for newcomers that, instead of the hours system, it has now installed a 'quality over quantity' system which I'm not sure is correct?!

If so, could someone please explain this to me?!

The new syllabus for CAS can be found HERE.

You still have to do 150 hours, but from what I know, there are 8 things that are supposed to come from CAS activities. Emphasis is placed on those things [all in the syllabus] and the CAS coordinator will check off for them.

this sounds stupid and newbie-ish (it's what I am :console:) but I can't download or view the file?! I am aware that I cannot view it because I'm not a VIP member but I thought you could view the file? I clicked 'watch this file' but that evidently has a different purpose.

Thanks.

Try again, you should be able to download now

Thank you, for whatever you've fixed.

If I am reading this correctly, this means I have to do something CONTINUALLY, as in a one-off trip to Ecuador may not contribute to my CAS hours? :console:

The trip should be fine...

Under Details-->Range and Diversity of Activities in the Guide, is this statement:

"Activities should vary in length and in the amount of commitment required from the student, but none should be trivial. Some schools have ongoing relationships with local organizations that offer challenging opportunities for service activities that may also incorporate elements of creativity and/or action. Other schools undertake major, concentrated, one‑off activities that may involve considerable planning and fund‑raising (for example, expeditions or building projects)."

Edit: So if schools can do 'one-off activities' I should think students can too.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Try again, you should be able to download now

Thank you, for whatever you've fixed.

If I am reading this correctly, this means I have to do something CONTINUALLY, as in a one-off trip to Ecuador may not contribute to my CAS hours? :console:

sweetnsimple786 is right... trips do count. I recently went for one to Chiang Mai, Thailand for an expedition. It was a 10 day trip... about 115 Action hours in total

• 4 weeks later...

So trips like MUN still count, right? Because I was banking on that for a lot of hours.

But I do have a question regarding the change in the system. How do we now record our progress? Is it still in hours? Also, for these 8 outcome things, how would we even prove that we have achieved them?

Sorry if this sounds newbie-ish, but I'm new to the whole CAS thing...

From what my supervisor has told me, we need an equal (or almost equal) amount of short (1 - 30 days), medium (30 - 120 days) and long (120 days+) length activities, and equal (or almost equal) activities in creativity, action and service. The way they verify it is no longer a simple signature, but a diary, emails received from organizers, photos taken, etc.

From what my supervisor has told me, we need an equal (or almost equal) amount of short (1 - 30 days), medium (30 - 120 days) and long (120 days+) length activities, and equal (or almost equal) activities in creativity, action and service. The way they verify it is no longer a simple signature, but a diary, emails received from organizers, photos taken, etc.

I'm just starting IB1 in less than a week so I am unfamiliar about some of the details of IB. So I was just wondering, does it matter how well you maintain a diary and document your activities, so long as it satisfies your CAS coordinator? Because you don't get any marks or anything for CAS, it just matters that you complete it, right? Also, do any CAS diaries get sent to the IB or is your coordinator the only one who sees and verifies it?

I'm just starting IB1 in less than a week so I am unfamiliar about some of the details of IB. So I was just wondering, does it matter how well you maintain a diary and document your activities, so long as it satisfies your CAS coordinator? Because you don't get any marks or anything for CAS, it just matters that you complete it, right? Also, do any CAS diaries get sent to the IB or is your coordinator the only one who sees and verifies it?

I'm sure your IB coordinator will explain all the CAS details to your year. I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that some (if not all?) do get sent to IB, correct me anyone if I'm wrong.