Eastern European Revolutions of 1989

nevermind3792

I've narrowed down my topic to something I consider rather specific, but I want to write about an aspect of it that wouldn't make my essay too narrative.

Even if you don't know anything about my topic, I'd really love some general suggestions about how to do this, what angle to come from, etc.

Background information: The revolutions brought about the fall of communism in Eastern Europe (Czechoslovakia, Romania, Baltic States) in a relatively bloodless and rapid manner.

Hi, I'm looking at Eastern Europe for my EE as well. My question is somewhat concerned with the topic of the revolutions, but is more all-encompassing. It is, for now at least, until my supervisor tears it to shreds, "To what extent is Poland's foreign policy defined by its national identity?". To what extent questions are terrific, but what subject are you writing yours in - history? politics?

Thanks for replying!

I'm doing mine in History, because I'm not going to focus on political aspects, but more like the circumstances that brought the revolutions about. I was also thinking of narrowing it down to just the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia, but I wasn't sure if it would be too narrow to write 4000 words on, especially if I narrow it down further to how a particular condition led to it.

I assume you're doing yours in Politics?

The Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia and how a particular event/condition led to it sounds fine. It won't be too narrow, as you will find plenty of sources on it and once you start writing you'll probably find you have too much to include.

And aoifaaah, your question sounds appropriate for a Politics EE. I don't think your advisor will tear it to shreds so long as you decide which angle you will approach the question from. What aspects of national identity will you discuss? What time period? Current? If so, you should add that word into your question (To what extent is Poland's current foreign policy defined by its national identity?) or you could include the name of a perosn there as well, e.g. the president/prime minister (To what extent is Poland's foreign policy under _________ defined by its national identity?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And aoifaaah, your question sounds appropriate for a Politics EE. I don't think your advisor will tear it to shreds so long as you decide which angle you will approach the question from. What aspects of national identity will you discuss? What time period? Current? If so, you should add that word into your question (To what extent is Poland's current foreign policy defined by its national identity?) or you could include the name of a perosn there as well, e.g. the president/prime minister (To what extent is Poland's foreign policy under _________ defined by its national identity?)

Thanks for the radvice Vvi. After considering your reply, I have decided to particularly focus on the 2007 election in Poland as a redefining moment for modern Polish politics, as it concerns the call for a transnational European identity rather than a solely Polish one, with the election of Donald Tusk's Civic Platform party in a coalition government.

I really need my EE to be good, as does everyone of course. I have found myself a little lost, but have just received a book on "Polish Foreign Politics in the XX and XXI century" (Ryszard Grodzki) and along with the other sources I have found, am all set to get this ball rolling and expect to finish my first draft and have it read over by my supervisor by the end of this week. It's such a daunting task, especially knowing that it can almost act as one point of your whole diploma - and these points are more than hard to come by!

Hope all EEs are going well!