IB Survival Notifications

DJ CAS

It probably would be, yepyep, but I imagine a status bar like facebook would take a lot of coding. So I'm not sure if it would work as a suggestion. If you wanted alerts every time somebody replied to a thread you'd posted in, I'm 99% sure that's a potential Invisionfree board setting, though. Maybe you could suggest that instead? It should have the same effect. If you have an email programme like gmail with gtalk downloaded, the alerts you're emailed can be flashed up instantly on your desktop at the bottom. Pretend-facebook-simulation bar! :D

It probably would be, yepyep, but I imagine a status bar like facebook would take a lot of coding. So I'm not sure if it would work as a suggestion. If you wanted alerts every time somebody replied to a thread you'd posted in, I'm 99% sure that's a potential Invisionfree board setting, though. Maybe you could suggest that instead? It should have the same effect. If you have an email programme like gmail with gtalk downloaded, the alerts you're emailed can be flashed up instantly on your desktop at the bottom. Pretend-facebook-simulation bar! :D

Howdo we suggest it?

It'd also have the bonus, if you went with the option to tick for email updates, that lots of people probably don't want to get alerts like this (I find facebook's constant alerts really irritating), so it'd be good on that front :hmmm:

By the way, are you aware of the "View New Content" option, and do you have the "Recent Forum Activity" box showing? I actually find those cover a lot because this forum is usually relatively quiet. Quiet enough that those options work quite well, that is! :D Of course they don't alert you unless you're on the site (which is I suppose where the email thing would come in).

I found that the Recent Forum Activity is too small when lots of people are posting... They should have an expand button for that.

I'll look into a way to expand Recent Forum Activity. Keep in mind you can also use the "View New Content". If you don't like the way it works, you can change some of the settings by going to "My Settings" and you'll see the options at the bottom.

Also, another option to "track" topics that you want is to subscribe to them. You can subscribe to topics and decide if you want to receive an e-mail whenever a reply is posted.

I found that the Recent Forum Activity is too small when lots of people are posting... They should have an expand button for that.

I'll look into a way to expand Recent Forum Activity. Keep in mind you can also use the "View New Content". If you don't like the way it works, you can change some of the settings by going to "My Settings" and you'll see the options at the bottom.

Also, another option to "track" topics that you want is to subscribe to them. You can subscribe to topics and decide if you want to receive an e-mail whenever a reply is posted.

True... but it is tiresome to watch all topics that you have posted in.. it would be easier to have notifications of people who have posted in the same forum as you have or at least a notification if someone has quoted or replied directly to you...

True... but it is tiresome to watch all topics that you have posted in.. it would be easier to have notifications of people who have posted in the same forum as you have or at least a notification if someone has quoted or replied directly to you...

I understand that. I'll see what I can do, but unfortunately can't make any promises yet :D.

I understand that. I'll see what I can do, but unfortunately can't make any promises yet :D .

Graeme, perhaps the TSR system could be employed? Where there's a separate box on the front page telling you about 'recent replies' or something of the sort. It might be easier than facebook's constantly updated notification system.

Ever since this website has been transformed, it has become more like Facebook. I like the new option where we update our statuses and what not. However, is it possible if we have the option to comment on each others' status? It's just a suggestion.

I'm not sure if this is going to be possible any time soon. However, I'll look into it. Keep in mind that statuses are meant to be just that :(. If you want, you can always send the person a private message :P.

bahaha I'd like to add a request as well.

Can there be an option not to have the status update on the main page?

I'm definitely looking into getting an option to "hide" your status from the main page. I'll let you know when it's possible :P.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I have to come out and say I'm totally against the idea of "status comments" and any other kind of facebook-like features. We really don't need to turn this forum into "Facebook version IB" :P. We already have the profile page messages which is ok any they're probably useful for stuff that isn't really worth a pm but still better said directly to the person instead of in the main forums. But once we start on the comments and such it's just too much. It's pointless, really.

• Like 2

Haha Hien, I love the "Facebook version IB" expression. Seems like people are getting so attached to FB that they cant imagine a site without its features. I am against the comments as well, because honestly its going to end up to be a website where people just comments on each other's comments rather than fulfil the whole purpose of the forum. I think having status feature in the first place is just enough. After all, it is an IB FORUM. :)

I'm sorry I have to come out and say I'm totally against the idea of "status comments" and any other kind of facebook-like features. We really don't need to turn this forum into "Facebook version IB" :). We already have the profile page messages which is ok any they're probably useful for stuff that isn't really worth a pm but still better said directly to the person instead of in the main forums. But once we start on the comments and such it's just too much. It's pointless, really.

I never said that IB Survival should include comments...

I meant that it could have a notification bar to inform us of recent reply posts so that it is easier to regulate and keep track of them. The new content RSS Feed might have passed out that information already and clicking watch topic and all the topics that you start is kind of annoying.

Regards,

Harris

Let me know what you think...