Current Events

Soy

Do you guys do a weekly current events thing every week in History, or is it just my class ?

I really enjoy Current Events day though, it's great having a huge debate in class and then just laughing at lunch together, i love hearing different point of views, as well.

Our biggest debates have revolved around the usual controversial topics like abortion, immigration, the war in iraq, racism, religion, global warming, as well as other topics.

and the fun part is that we have some very strong liberals in my class and they totally class with the conservatives.

haha well with 26 people in the class, its much more fun to debate with. And we have kids .. with backgrounds from around the world, one that came from India, one that was born in Italy, one that lived in Italy for a few years, a Pacific Islander, Americans, and so forth so theres so many different views on things.

i remember this one current event day when we were talking about gay rights, and Arshiya, who was muslim, in a very straightforward manner said, i don't believe in gay people nor gay rights, god created even for adam, and not adam for adam.

and that was just the highlight of the day.

I do not take history because i think it requires too much memorization

Actually, my teacher prefers that you don't memorize the dates. And the other stuff doesn't require memorization as you do so much fun stuff with the information that you remember it through that.

We don't do current events at my school. It sounds like fun though!

• 2 weeks later...

In my history class my teacher writes up three or four "This day in history..." events every day (for example, on November 8: 1923 - Beer Hall Putsch; 1939 - Hitler escapes assassination attempt; 1941- Albanian communist party founded; etc.). We discuss those events and talk about their connections to other events in history and/or to current events. It's really interesting!

At our school we also have an actual Current Events class, not IB, but I kind of wish I had time in my schedule to take that class...

• 4 weeks later...

In my history class, we usually do Current Events on Fridays.

Despite my teacher wanting Current Events to not take over the whole class, it usually ends up turning into a class wide discussion that lasts the whole block. The funny part about it is that he gets so consumed with the discussion that he loses track of time multiple times throughout the class. Every five minutes or so, he says only 5 more minutes, which coincidently ends up being the case for the entire class.

When my history teacher talks about current events, it's always about revolutionary movements.. then he tells us that the people supporting the revolutions are young people, the same age as us.. then he asks us why we don't start revolutions, like the people we see on the news... then he calls us pussies :l That would conclude our discussion on current events LoL

Edited by cixelsyD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we don't talk about current event unless they involve Castro and we are in the Hitler, Stalin and Castro unit.... we have a whole seperate class for surrent events but it isn't an IB ouse so i didn't have room to take it or i would of.... it always sounded so interesting....and easy mind you.

but mondays are chicked soup for the soul days the college one... our teacher picks one or 2 stories and we read them every monday.... we like it, it is a nice relaxing way to start the week

When my history teacher talks about current events, it's always about revolutionary movements.. then he tells us that the people supporting the revolutions are young people, the same age as us.. then he asks us why we don't start revolutions, like the people we see on the news... then he calls us pussies :l That would conclude our discussion on current events LoL

something similar in our class too.. but our teacher simply asks random questions, like what is the capital of texas, what was the name of hitler's dog, etc. then if he doesn't receive a quick answer he calls us stupid :)

he also talks about revolutionary movements and repeats how brave people were in those times and how indifferent we are.

and yes, he does talk about current events, but mostly about internal affairs in our country..

mabye its not so similar. i guess that our teacher simply hates students :)