What kind of computer do you use?

emmak

Please avoid all Acer, that is all I can say. I had an Acer, my dad also used Acer for a while. Neither were all that great.

By the way, I have a Lenovo netbook S10. The one advantage is that it weighs less than my textbook so carrying it around uni is much easier. Battery isn't great obviously but it lets me get by uni pretty well. I get along with it better than I did with the Acer -_- Oh and it's cheap.

The S12 apparently has a full sized keyboard which you might prefer. It does take a while to get used to the tiny netbook keyboard.

Please avoid all Acer, that is all I can say. I had an Acer, my dad also used Acer for a while. Neither were all that great.

How come? Does it crash all the time?

Anyway, I use a pink Dell laptop (I guess you know what my favourite colour is by now -_- ). It's working fine at the moment although it has experienced some restarting problems recently. My OS is Windows Vista. If you assumed I'm using a Mac by looking at my avatar, you're wrong :P

I've got an Acer Travelmate C213. It's.. survivable, I guess. It's a tablet and stuff, but the design is.. well.. it's an Acer, what else do I have to say?

Battery is practically dead now. I've had it for about 2 and a half years and a full charge runs for half an hour.. IF I'm lucky..

Moral of the story: Acer = no.

Just don't buy a HP. The tablet PC that I mentioned earlier was repaired a few weeks ago with a new motherboard and it started malfunctioning again yesterday. Good thing that I only paid a fraction of the original 1000 quote, and it has a 3 month warranty, but really HPs are not reliable or durable.

I want to get a new laptop for September.

I have been really thinking about getting a Macbook Pro (mainly because I prefer Macs to PCs as I love my photography!)- I have the money & loads of people have told me that it is worth it but I thought I would ask anyone on here!

Do you have a Mac Pro? Recommend anything else?

Thanks -_-

I think the Mac sounds like a super option if you can afford it! All I would say is that if you're going to be printing off work at school, emailing work to teachers etc., you may have some problems with compatability. My friend had a Macbook and trying to transfer stuff onto the school system was nightmarish, even using one of those converter programmes to save it in a universal format.

That's the only real downside I can think of (besides price, which you say you have covered) -_-

A Mac Pro is different to a Macbook Pro. A Mac Pro is a highly specced desktop, while a Macbook Pro is the laptop version.

Macs are reliable PCs, with good tech support and they are generally durable. If you want to use Windows for any reason use a virtualisation software such as Virtual Box (which is free) or Parallels Desktop (paid) and use windows as a guest OS. You can also use boot camp to dual boot both Windows and Mac.

All software such as Word etc. are available for the mac. Anything a windows software can do, with the largely increasing mac user population, you can find a mac software with the same functions. As far as games are concerned, some games are made natively for Mac OSX but others can be run via boot camp and windows.

Personally I would just go with a PC.

During the school year I had to use my brother's Mac for a couple months until I could get my own laptop. I hated using it for school assignments, because sometimes it would seem like the formatting was slightly off if I sent the file to school and had to print it. Also, Parallels Desktop crashed on me several times and felt unreliable to use. That's just my experience...