Dilemma

talktome

Hi,

I've done much research on undergraduate programs offering communications. I've realised that I want to have a career in the public relations/business communications field. I've sourced out several universities, but I've also realized that the top tier universities in both US and UK do not offer such a specialized program. There isn't much of a undergraduate Public Relations course I can undertake in top universities. What do I see is Communications/Media Studies which do involve small segments of public relations and marketing which I'm keen on.

This are the universities that I'm interested in for their communication curriculum: UPenn, UCLA, NYU, Stanford, Cornell

The thing is... I figured, SATS seem to be more essential in showing my potential than the IB program in the states.

I've also checked out Bournemouth University in the UK, which has a recognized media school that have a undergraduate Public Relations program. But besides its media school, Bournemouth itself is not prestigious, and I'm confused whether to apply for it. Because if I do, I don't have to work so hard and juggle with both SATS and the IB program this year and my senior year. The cut-off stated is 30 IB points.

I'm wondering if there are more prestigious universities in the UK that specializes in Communications/Public Relations as I can't seem to find any.

The thing is, my Dad was telling me to enter Bournemouth Uni and transfer to a prestigious Masters in US if I have to... but I find that option tedious... as NYU has a Masters in relation to Public Relations, and I'm really keen on doing Public Relations/Business Communications.

Is it better to be in a prestigious university for the undergraduate courses than being in a course that is more specific so that I've better chances of getting employed? Or rather, is it better to be in a prestigious university so that it is easier to get into a respected Master Course?

Thanks C:

Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated

It's much, much, much better to go to a university known for its Communications/Public Relations program! Employers aren't too dazed by the name of the school. If you go to MIT and major in something English related... well, no offense, but the department's known to be a joke, from what I hear.

I say find the university with the best program you're interested in. If its Bournemouth, go for it! Also, the smaller unis [and I don't know if this applies here] can give you a better chance to shine. You're not one in 9,000; you're one in 1200 or 600. That kind of thing.

The US unis that you mentioned are all prestigious. If they have excellent Comm/PR programs, apply! But yeah, SATs are a major pain. If I were in your shoes, I'd vie for Bournemouth. So to reiterate I don't know how many times, pick the program over the name! =)

Edited by sweetnsimple786

You can get into excellent universities for Masters even if you attend a not-so prestigious undergraduate university. Example: My English teacher studied English at Middlesex University (known for nothing and in the bottom of the UK rankings), and went on to get her Masters from UCL (top of the table). Our school counselot attended a tiny college in North Carolina and went on to do her Masters at Harvard. I think employers look at where you got your Masters degree much more than your undergrad degree, as the Masters is more specialized.

I've never heard of Bournemouth University, but if it has a good program then apply there. You can always do as your father suggested and go to a better university for Masters.

the big name will only help you get your first job. i don't go to a really prestigieous university but my school is the best businees school in the state that i live in here in the US. it isn't hard to balance SATs and IB; just takes good time management skills. go to a school that you like. that is the really reason that i went to my uni. i could see myself going where i was going, and i do well coz i love it there. if it is the program you want then go for that school. if you do get your masters, go to a school that you like that has the program you want. something you schould try for is a really good intership in the field that you want to work. i have an internship right now with a really prominant international company, and i think that this internship will help me so much more whne i graduate than my college degrees will.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. The thing is, Bournemouth Public Relations course is recognized by the Chartered Institute of Public Relations and the Chartered Institute of Marketing... and looking at the student reviews, many seem to be able to find jobs after graduating and attaining their degrees...

But, I actually feel like I belong to New York University now... I like how the school has no Greek life... not much clubs and whatever, plus I like the fact that it is a school where you have to be independent and not have opportunities fed to you. I like the whole city, urban, metropolitan on the fast lane kind of life...

I was thinking, maybe I should the the Degree in Bournemouth then do my masters in NYU in their Public Relations & Corporate communications course?

Will it be too hard to adapt to a switch from UK to US?

It's very different to adapt to life in the US after UK especially if you're transferring from a small city to a metropolis like New York. For you I suggest going doing the SATs and try to apply to NYU for undergraduate, it's more prestigious and if it's better known employment opportunities are better. I wouldn't discount NYU education either, even though Bournemouth might specialize in their relations program, NYU has a very good humanities department. The admissions is not really that competitive and I'm sure with a SAT in the 2000-2100s and a good IB score you could get in. Life in New York is exciting to say the least and I think you will be discover yourself there.

It's very different to adapt to life in the US after UK especially if you're transferring from a small city to a metropolis like New York. For you I suggest going doing the SATs and try to apply to NYU for undergraduate, it's more prestigious and if it's better known employment opportunities are better. I wouldn't discount NYU education either, even though Bournemouth might specialize in their relations program, NYU has a very good humanities department. The admissions is not really that competitive and I'm sure with a SAT in the 2000-2100s and a good IB score you could get in. Life in New York is exciting to say the least and I think you will be discover yourself there.

Yeah I get what you mean, but I thought it would be good to expose myself to two countries through my studying journey cause I plan on going back to Hong Kong (that's where I'm born though I've spent most of my life in Singapore..), but the thing is... I don't really like any of the courses NYU is offering, as in I don't find their curriculum beneficial, but I've heard of their Public Relations & Corporate Communications Masters which is very holistic and was awarded on PRWEEK one of the best education so I'm interested.

Yeah I get what you mean, but I thought it would be good to expose myself to two countries through my studying journey cause I plan on going back to Hong Kong (that's where I'm born though I've spent most of my life in Singapore..), but the thing is... I don't really like any of the courses NYU is offering, as in I don't find their curriculum beneficial, but I've heard of their Public Relations & Corporate Communications Masters which is very holistic and was awarded on PRWEEK one of the best education so I'm interested.

Well do whatever suits you, both are quite good at their respective field. Have you taken a tour of those universities? Maybe a tour there will help tell you what the universities are like and which one you really do prefer.

Edited by powa2