To continue or to drop IB?

Lauis

So as of now the summer is dwindling down and I have a big decision to make, to stay in IB or to drop out and go to regular high school? I've finished the first year of IB and now I'm about to begin the second year.

Throughout my junior year, my grades suffered a bit. Though I was able to keep a steady A in Math Analysis, Psychology, and Spanish, I got C's in AP US History and AP Biology. (And B's in my other classes.) To top it off, I only got 2's on AP US and AP Bio and a 1 in AP Spanish, which made me worry about the IB exams in those subjects. I'm also worried about English since I didn't do too hot on my IA last semester and I'm not very good at literary analysis.

In college I plan to major in Music and Theatre and I'm not sure how much IB will help me anymore than getting core classes out of the way. Plus, with my doubts of getting the diploma or passing the exams, I'm not sure if staying in IB is worth the extra work when I want to focus on music and theatre.

Opinions and advice on whether or not I should continue would be very helpful before I ultimately contact my guidance counselor.

To be honest, some of your grade problems may be because of the way your school teach IB. IB should not be taught in AP classes! They are not in any way the same as AP except the public exam part. It doesn't prepare you for the IB.

[i just went and typed up a huge chunk about how hard it is to get a 1 in IB (almost impossible if you actually try something) but you're talking about AP 1.]

Anyway, if you're taking AP exams as well and those can help get you into uni (college but please don't make me say that more than once XD) then to be honest you really don't need IB. You would think I should tell you to keep going with IB as if your life is depended on it. Well, I really think you should talk to your teachers/ask yourself and find out why your grades are lower than you expect. Is it because you just don't get the material, or you don't do the homework, or you just don't have time to focus on the workload? Reasons varies, so I can't really tell you to drop or to keep going until I really understand why you're not getting the grades you want.

Hmm why did you take the Bio, Spanish, and APUSH AP exams this year?

I'm taking Bio and History HL too and I'll take the AP and IB exams for them next year because we'll actually finish those subjects then.

[FYI I took AP Spanish this year and got a 2 on the AP and a 6 on the IB SL Spanish B exam. That's a huge discrepancy. Who knows why?! And I got a 5 on the AP Physics B and IB physics exams. Once again, big difference. And I got a 5 on the AP Chem exam, but I wouldn't have done so hot on the IB Chem exam if I took IB Chem.]

I don't expect IB to help me at all. It wouldn't really matter if I got a 24 or a 45 in terms of college acceptance. Now if you don't think you'll be awarded the IB Diploma, you may want to reconsider doing IB. Also, if you just want to get college credit, consider getting certificates for your courses.

I don't think it'd matter if you're interested in music and theater or if you want to major in pure math. Either way, you'd spend lots of time doing what you love.

I say if you're not getting Bs and higher in your IB classes, it's not really worth it. Like Hien said above, the reason you're not doing so well can possibly be mended. I'm doing IB for the heck of it. Not even joking! What am I getting out of it? A headache, really. But I love my teachers and the inside jokes w/ my IB fam. XD So if you're motivated, go for it!

[PS Some AP exams really aren't easier than the IBs while others are. ehhh]

this situation arose with one of the yr11's

he wanted to study music so basically, ib wouldn't help him and he would rather spend the time practicing music then being bogged down with assignments and a huge workload

regarding grades, in terms of your grades, mine we're pretty dodge in IB1 but now i'm sitting on A's to B's so as long as you put in the work, they'll go up. not sure what a 1 in AP means - GOTTA LOVE QUEENSLAND EDUCATION SYSTEMS so hopefully that's not a really bad grade?

for you i'd say really reconsider your options. have a look at the requirements for the music/theatre course that you want to enter and see if the benefits of ib even apply (the recognition, bonus points etc)

because you want to do what will give you the greatest advantage in the field your entering rather then work your ass off for no advantage at all

p.s - that yr11 kid dropped ib, he got alot of crap for it but he dropped it anyway.

My opinion, even though I'm not an IB student yet, is to continue with the IB.

I think you'll get your diploma and you'll have more offers from universities than you would have otherwise.

But despite what we are saying here it is up to you to decide.

Do what you think that will be better for you and don't be afraid of the consequences :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think you should continue with the IB. It will open up a lot of doors for you in the future and I don't think restricting yourself right now is a very good idea. Stick to doing the best you can, work hard and you will achieve. Although I am very confused at the teaching system in your class. Why are you studying in AP classes. If this may hurt your chances, then I'd say drop out. To make sure your learning what you're supposed to, then download the syllabus for each of your subjects. Use it to make sure you know everything for the exams. If your teacher has missed something out, show him/her the syllabus and ask for it to be explained.

If you are dead set with majoring in music or a music related course in unversity, I don't think it helps that much to continue with I.B. It is true that I.B. opens numerous opportunities and brings you ahead of the pack in university,(if you decide not to skip the first year courses) but I don't think that outweighs the stress and courseload that would be obscure to your major. But if you did decide to continue, I would inquire you to take Music HL because it has sufficient music theory for 1st year college. English HL also has many intangible benefits that would great help your writing of essays in college.

I don't think IB will bring much of theatre and music, so if there's a better alternative for these subjects, maybe you should go for it.

But remember that an academic education is useful, and that the IB definitely is worth it, if you put in time and effort to it.

What I can tell you for sure is that getting bad grades or ones that you're not used to getting is a bit normal, at least that is what happened to me. My IB2 grades were much much better.

Teaching IB in AP classes is definatly not something I would allow to enter my area of common sense, expectations are different and required teaching style is different. However I would allow this to stop you from getting the IB Diploma, it is an extremely good advantage for you. If you really believe in it's importance then work hard to make up for the 'deficiencies' caused by your teaching class system.

I think you'll regret dropping out of IB later on.