Sign in to follow this  

IA Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan

Trying to finish my IA before the beginning of IB2

I've decided to focus on the soviet invasion of afghanistan

Struggling to narrow my topic any further

Assess the reasons for the invasion and it's eventual failure? Is that simply to broad/should I just answer one half of that question

I desperately need advice

Thanks

I say focus on only one, with more structure.

If you want to look at failure, be more specific and analytical. Maybe a certain aspect, or if it had to do with money look at the economic aspect. Since it was mostly political turmoil, you can identify it as that as well. Either way, be very specific, so that you can actualy "analyze" instead of just creating a synopsis.

I agree with biochem =)

If you choose the reasons, after you discuss the politcal, economic, cultural, geographical, or whatever pertains, then you could further analyze which reasons--if any--were superficial and which was/were the main reason(s).

But first see if you can find at least 2-3 solid sources for your narrowed topic.

Thanks for the advice

My alternative wuold be the Cuban Missile Crisis - which im already reasonably well read on

Would an assessment of Kennedy's Role or the success of his measures be suitable?

Topics concerning the Cuban missile crisis are usually overdone. However the 'success of JFK's measures' sounds like something original. Just, like before, pick what you mean by success--define it in the terms that you'll be analyzing.

Definitely; although I've now decided upon assessing Robert Kennedy's role in the crisis

contd: plenty of sources to consult; plenty of room for uncertainty and analysis of evidence