Easiest subjects

Tiara Angel

There's two distinct parts to a course. The level of difficulty that the teacher/school mandates may not correlate to the level of difficulty of the official assessments from IBO.

My hardest class was Physics B SL, but the exam wasn't that difficult. Conversely, my easiest class was Spanish B SL because the teacher threw points at you if you put effort in. First semester, she added 10 points to almost every test grade! The IA and EA, however, were hard for me.

What's interesting about IB is that there is no impossible course and there is no 'easy as pie' course. I think you'll find that while some courses are easier for you than others, each course is designed by both the IBO and your teachers to test you and push you. You get a mix of assessments which is why you don't have to be brilliant to do well in IB.

• Like 2

I'd say B languages, Maths Studies, ITGS and Bio SL, dependent on your strengths, I guess O: Haven't taken environmental systems to know anything about it at all, it was never offered to us. I'm also told by the SL Theatre people that doing it at SL is a bit of a doss, provided you turn all the coursework in.

Maths SL isn't easy unless you're naturally built like a human calculator :D

So far, to me, it has definitely been economics. The mark boundaries are LOW so that maximizes your chances of getting high. I don't think they're low because people get super low either... considering that, at least in my school, people generally get 7s and 6s in it. It's very easy to understand too since economics is a subject that purely focuses on the study of human phenomena.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised only one person has mentioned the ab initio subjects!

Some people in my school have taken the ab initio language even though it is their mother's tongue. That means they are almost guaranteed a high grade.

Did anyone else have this experience at their school?

Taking your mother tongue as an ab initio is self-degrading. It's actually quite sad. I say it depends on the ab initio language you are taking. For me doing Italian, Russian or Spanish B would have been much easier than Japanese initio. It all depends.

• 2 years later...

So far, to me, it has definitely been economics. The mark boundaries are LOW so that maximizes your chances of getting high. I don't think they're low because people get super low either... considering that, at least in my school, people generally get 7s and 6s in it. It's very easy to understand too since economics is a subject that purely focuses on the study of human phenomena.

I'm so surprised to read this! Are you doing Economics HL or SL? I wouldn't label Econ a genuinely ''frustrating'' nor torturous subject, but I do not think it is particularly easy to do well in by any means. I feel like I had to work super hard in both of my semesters of IB1 to get 7's, and the majority of my class failed miserably.. which I find baffling since our teacher is absolutely amazing. Also, according to some Econ teachers it is almost impossible to do ''well'' on your IA's because the new moderators are vicious and always lower the scores no matter what (a problem that didn't exist with the old moderators) and now these teachers that have been teaching Economics for ages have no idea what to do/change. Also I think there is a huge difference between memorizing models and theories from the book and then actually applying the knowledge in an analytical sense where you critically evaluate sample articles that they sometimes have on exams. I don't remember which paper though? Paper 3 I think. I think it's a lot of information to learn, especially different formulas, because it's not as though we get a formula booklet or anything like Chemistry and Math papers do..

It depends if you want a subject thats less work as in less need to understand or easiest to score in. English HL is incredibly difficult to get a 7 in much harder than math chem or any of the sciences, but it doesn't require as much understanding and application. Language B HL's definitely fall into both those criteria especially if you are fluent in it. Econ HL has one of the highest 7 percentages world wide but will require you to understand some concepts and be able to analyse and evaluate. Chem HL has alot of math in it, but the concepts are not too difficult to understand, its definitely an interesting subject. Keep in mind that whatever you will find interesting will come naturally to you and you will find easy. This is actually quite a subjective matter, its all about what you prefer really.