Religion is a blanket for people that want answers

Soy

"Religion is a blanket for people that want answers"

to an extent i really agree with that quote. Although my dad is Buddhist and My mom is Christian. I do believe that there is a God, and he is indeed watching me , but i don't believe in all the materialistic teachings and going to god, i believe as long as you believe in god and try to do right in life, there should be no problem, i don't believe that you have to go to church everyday or read the bible everyday or whatever, it's a way of life and a set of morales and values.

I think religion is useless for finding rational answers to anything, but then again; I believe life has no meaning whatsoever, so I'm probably not a good person to ask. Personally, I think people who do believe in God are (generally) much happier than those who do not; therein lies the real value of religion.

Now if only we could get rid of the extremists... :lol:

Yea I agree with Caitlin.

Religion is something people should use to make the right decisions in life. For example if someone wanted to go to heaven they would try to commit acts of goodness or something along the lines of that.

Personally I would never use religion to explain what is going on with the world. I would never believe that God created the world or flooded the world to rid all the sinners.

IMO... I believe there is something up there...

Agree with Caitlin as to getting rid of all the extremists, and the world could be a happier place. Hear that Osama? that means you! And all you Islamic extremists too. And before anybody flames me, I'm Muslim so I'm not being racist when I'm targeting the Islamofreaks.

Religion, sometimes is a thing to turn to when you're down and down, and something to blame sometimes. I dunno, but it's one of those things that you either believe in or not. You can't really deny the existence of a creationist, but then again when one sees what's happening in the day to day occurrences you do wonder, where is that divine power when tons of people are dying? Then again, the world is hardly perfect, and it wasn't made to be perfect either.

I do think so... I feel like religion limits a person's mind to possibilities of other ideas. Like the evolution, my friend states that it does not exist at all and the bible is the only truth. I think she should have been a bit open minded, it would have been better to have said "maybe it is true" instead of "wtf no screw evolution, it's just a bunch of lies". My friend also tried to convince me to join the Christian club and bought me a bible. I did not refuse because I think it important that I am not shut to other ideas aswell. Eh it was actually an interesting club and I was surprised because we discussed things about what real love could be or issues in the world. I think we also had a tomato drink contest.... heheh..

In my opinion religion is a justification for the actions of people of the world which is fueled by Social Darwinism. With the view though, I still believe that it is essential to human existence as without hope or faith how can we live? We need to believe that there is good in the world and it is not all bad.

• 2 months later...

I believe that religion gives people, who would otherwise have nothing, hope. And without hope there would be not a lot of reasons to live. So in that way, religion is beneficial.

but in many aspects, it creates more problems than solutions.

many intelligent/evil/Machiavellian people are using religion as a tool to get what they want.

:lol: Funny one, Hien. I'm going to show it to my teacher.

and to add to the discussion, I fully agree with the first poster. I believe there's a higher power, I don't believe we have to follow it religiously. I don't believe in the Christian idea of heaven. I kinda still believe in the existentialist idea of life after death, nothing happens.

edit: but then what's the purpose of the higher power?

Edited by rue saint-denis

• 4 weeks later...

nice video :)

i personally think that religion was thought as an effective tool to make people act morally. most religions have simple rules that if you act good, you will feel good. if you act bad (not morally), then you receive unwanted consequences.

so to me religion is like a set of rules, helping you to stay "good". this of course creates an idea that you need a religion to stay good if you can't figure out by yourself that it is not good to act in a bad way..

this way religion acts as a blanket, protecting people from acting in a bad way. it also makes finding answers, such as 'why do i have to be good to others', not important. most religions simply say that you must be good.

• 2 weeks later...

It's this simply, treat others the way you wish to be treated. If everyone followed this elmentary rule the world would be the perfect place. I agree that all of the materialistic teachings (Go to church on Sunday, Stations of the Cross every Friday during Lent, Go to the first Saturday of every month) is just nonesense.

I think that religion is like a security blanket, to a certain extent, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Religion can't justify many things or rationalize them, but whether or not you have a religion, the fact of the matter is that human life is very very short, so if religion makes you feel better about the time you have on earth then so be it. If a Christian believes in heaven, and that if he does good things on earth, he'll be rewarded afterwards, then it can only benefit everyone else.

I'm a Catholic myself and I do believe in God. I still believe in evolution and whatnot though..I guess maybe I'm sort of a St. Thomas Aquinas in that I believe in both religion and rationalism.

• 2 months later...

i agree with the that quote, and with what many are saying here, its true many people use religion in negative ways and take what they want and leave what they dont want from their religion, but it should be acknowledged that there is a difference between the followers of that religion and the religion itself, because for example if a soccer team lost would that mean that all the players on the team where bad? there obviously are good followers of that religion and not so good followers...

but in the end it comes down to actually discovering your religion yourself... because you will not bother looking for a religion unless you want to get something out of it... answers to questions, peace, happiness whatever it may be, and once you ahve found that religion that make s th emost sense to you and one you actually believe in then yoru questions are answered and your goals achieved.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in religion, I'd love to study that in the IB, however I know there are reasons for it not being a course. I will defenitly study religion in University.

Like many others, I do believe in a higher power and I do believe in one God, - but I think that religion must be modernized. Religion is not about praying the most or following all the religious, materialistic traditions. There are bunches of people sitting all day with their rosaries, but forgetting the important messages of religion. I've seen this myself and I think that's an unsound view on religion.

Oh, I really feel I could write a thousand posts about this, however, being an IB student, there's no time for that. Must complete my EE. And my WL1, and choose topics for WL2, ToK essay, B&M IA and Math IA. And do CAS. And learn 240 German words.. and..

You know you can actually study religion in IB. You can do your EE in World Religions. A couple of people have done it in the past at my school, and they didn't do very well even though they had an insanely smart supervisior who has studied religion at the best unis in the world.