Religion is a blanket for people that want answers

Soy

i agree with the that quote, and with what many are saying here, its true many people use religion in negative ways and take what they want and leave what they dont want from their religion, but it should be acknowledged that there is a difference between the followers of that religion and the religion itself, because for example if a soccer team lost would that mean that all the players on the team where bad? there obviously are good followers of that religion and not so good followers...

but in the end it comes down to actually discovering your religion yourself... because you will not bother looking for a religion unless you want to get something out of it... answers to questions, peace, happiness whatever it may be, and once you ahve found that religion that make s th emost sense to you and one you actually believe in then yoru questions are answered and your goals achieved.

i agree with this since in religion people try to look for a source to fulfill certain goals and ideas, some maybe bad and others good but we should not generalize about certain people or a certain religion because of the actions of a small group of people!!

in my opinion people hide behind religion as a source of hope when they are scared, there are too many religions in the world to believe any of it... people rely on that higher power to avoid being scared, who doesnt want to think taht someone higher up is in control and you can leave all your problems up to them

• 2 weeks later...

If you've never been religious, you probably wouldn't understand how much it matters to people.

I used to be religious, but eventually realized it would make me feel more distant from people instead of closer to them. I've since been able to make some reconciliations, based on the gradual realization that it would be pretty silly of me to assume that many of my beliefs are universally true. But what I do strongly believe is that if there really is a God out there, he would understand context much better than organized religion would suggest he does.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

• 5 weeks later...

I used to be fairly religious when I was a wee little lassie.

I haven't experienced any circumstances that have specifically caused me to lose my faith, but I eventually and gradually did lose it as I aged. I think too many questions about existence, earth, space, life came up for me to keep believing. The idea of God just became irrelevant to me for a while. I had considered myself an Atheist for a while, then Agnostic. Now, I'm not so sure of where I stand. I tend to think of God as more of a metaphorical idea...something that is really found within one's self.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dragonb111
Yea I agree with Caitlin.

Religion is something people should use to make the right decisions in life. For example if someone wanted to go to heaven they would try to commit acts of goodness or something along the lines of that.

Personally I would never use religion to explain what is going on with the world. I would never believe that God created the world or flooded the world to rid all the sinners.

IMO... I believe there is something up there...

Personally, I think that you and caitlin are truly misguided. You're looking at it from a budhist point of view. Do good and go to heaven. That's completely crazy and idiotic. No man is good enough for God. In the Bible, it says to accept Jesus as your christ and savior and to confess that you believe that He rose from the dead (look at the apostle's creed). How you're looking at things, you're falling for Satan's tricks. Stop for a moment and actually think about it. And if you get the chance, look into the Bible. It's fun to read all of the stories it has.

in my opinion people hide behind religion as a source of hope when they are scared, there are too many religions in the world to believe any of it... people rely on that higher power to avoid being scared, who doesnt want to think taht someone higher up is in control and you can leave all your problems up to them

If we didn't need to rely on our "source of hope" then there'd be no point of this religion or of there being this God now would there? You don't realize that we "religious" people rely on our God because without Yahweh, we're sitting ducks to Satan's tricks. You people have already fallen to his tricks. Open your eyes! As for you "non-religious" people, you kill us "religious" people, you torture us, and you persecute us. That's a sign that you are in fact scared of us. You're scared that we'll cause controversy in your society. Let us talk and you'll know why we believe in He who knows all.

I'm actually reading the Bible at the moment... I'm an Atheist, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. :)

what the fuss is? how about the book of revelation chapter 6,7,8,9. That tells you what happens after the rapture (which could be tomorrow for all we know). That's the fuss. That's for the future. Right now, you can learn how to live, act, and what to do in all situations. The Bible is a guide for living!

I have lots of ideas about religion, but I can only be bothered with one which applies to the title of this thread. Monothestic religions provide the followers safety and security in that something will happen after death.

You have no idea how much more there is to it. First off, those who accept Jesus as their Christ, are righteous in God's eyes since their sins are forgiven and FORGOTTEN. Second, the book of Revelation states that the nonbelievers will be plagued and have terrible things done to them. Third: NO DUH God provides safety and security for those who believe. We also believe that God was there in the beginning and will always be there in the end. We believe that Jesus was crucified and died. We believe that he descended into hell, but rose on the third day. He rose into Heaven and sits at the right hand of God and judges the dead and the living. We believe in the holy spirit. In the christian church, in everlasting life, the forgivness of sins. That's why we put our faith in Him. You type of people try to simplify our religion of Christianity to a mere sentence, but it's more than that.

I used to be fairly religious when I was a wee little lassie.

I haven't experienced any circumstances that have specifically caused me to lose my faith, but I eventually and gradually did lose it as I aged. I think too many questions about existence, earth, space, life came up for me to keep believing. The idea of God just became irrelevant to me for a while. I had considered myself an Atheist for a while, then Agnostic. Now, I'm not so sure of where I stand. I tend to think of God as more of a metaphorical idea...something that is really found within one's self.

No, it's partly ture. When you have a relationship with God, you get closer to Him. Consequently, you move farther away from people. How is this good you ask? You then can't fall for Satan's tricks. Satan uses the outside world against us and to trick us. No, God is real. If you have accepted Him as your Savior, you'd realize it. Just give Him a chance. He's changed my life.

Edited by HMSChocolate

When you have a relationship with God, you get closer to Him. Consequently, you move farther away from people. How is this good you ask? You then can't fall for Satan's tricks. Satan uses the outside world against us and to trick us. No, God is real. If you have accepted Him as your Savior, you'd realize it. Just give Him a chance. He's changed my life.

I hope for your sake that one day you get to read George Orwell's 1984.

Edited by Mr. Shiver

Personally, I think that you and caitlin are truly misguided. You're looking at it from a budhist point of view. Do good and go to heaven. That's completely crazy and idiotic. No man is good enough for God. In the Bible, it says to accept Jesus as your christ and savior and to confess that you believe that He rose from the dead (look at the apostle's creed). How you're looking at things, you're falling for Satan's tricks. Stop for a moment and actually think about it. And if you get the chance, look into the Bible. It's fun to read all of the stories it has.

Allow me to quote the Bible. I hope you follow these instructions.

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard." (Lev. 19.27)

"Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings." (Lev 7.26-27)

Hence, we can't eat meat NOR cut our hair...

You don't realize that we "religious" people rely on our God because without Yahweh, we're sitting ducks to Satan's tricks. You people have already fallen to his tricks. Open your eyes! As for you "non-religious" people, you kill us "religious" people, you torture us, and you persecute us. That's a sign that you are in fact scared of us. You're scared that we'll cause controversy in your society.

Gosh, do your homework. You can't use the name Yahweh for God, otherwise you've got it wrong. As you know, most biblical texts in Hebrew are written unvocalized, (Hebrew was never vocalized at the time) hence the name of God only contained the letters JHVH. As we do not have first hand information of what the intended vocals were, I think it's safe to say that you've got God's name wrong. By the way, this could lead to an interesting discussion to how the bible was compiled, care to open it?

Let us talk and you'll know why we believe in He who knows all.

You mean Lord Voldemort, right? No wait, that's He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named... damn.

You type of people try to simplify our religion of Christianity to a mere sentence, but it's more than that.

You simplify being Agnostic/Atheist/anything else into going to hell, but there really is more to it...

Guest dragonb111
Allow me to quote the Bible. I hope you follow these instructions.

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard." (Lev. 19.27)

"Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings." (Lev 7.26-27)

Hence, we can't eat meat NOR cut our hair...

Gosh, do your homework. You can't use the name Yahweh for God, otherwise you've got it wrong. As you know, most biblical texts in Hebrew are written unvocalized, (Hebrew was never vocalized at the time) hence the name of God only contained the letters JHVH. As we do not have first hand information of what the intended vocals were, I think it's safe to say that you've got God's name wrong. By the way, this could lead to an interesting discussion to how the bible was compiled, care to open it?

You mean Lord Voldemort, right? No wait, that's He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named... damn.

You simplify being Agnostic/Atheist/anything else into going to hell, but there really is more to it...

Remember NO BLOOD. As long as there's no blood, you can eat it. The hair thing is for a specific people.

For your info, there are no vowels. That's what makes it special. IT was supposed to be that no one could say it. It was supposed to breathed. Natural. That's what I was taught. You cant pronounce it.

His name is also I AM. Want more names? I could go on for a while.

Yeah. There is more to it. You can turn back. GOD is still there. You have a chance. Don't waste it. There's not much time left. In fact who knows how much time is left.

I never said that your religions are a one way ticket to hell. You deissi said that yourself.

And didn't you read my response to HMSChocolate? I don't want to fight anymore. This is getting us nowhere. I'm not convincing you and you're not convincing me.

I admit. I was wrong. I contradicted myself. I didn't do the right thing. I answered others opinions with anger and revenge. I didn't do out of good. I apologize to everyone on this forum. I forgot that I am supposed to answer anger and taunts with kindness and love. I'm sorry and I ask for your forgivness...

I hope for your sake that one day you get to read George Orwell's 1984.

Truth be told...I've never hear of it...but I'll look it up. Never know what I'll find.

Edited by dragonb111

Remember NO BLOOD. As long as there's no blood, you can eat it. The hair thing is for a specific people.

Let's not get into biology here, but I think we can all agree there are at least remnants of blood in specific types of meat. Could you elaborate on the hair thing, perhaps cite a source? :)

For your info, there are no vowels. That's what makes it special. IT was supposed to be that no one could say it. It was supposed to breathed. Natural. That's what I was taught. You cant pronounce it.

Umm wait... that's exactly what I told you in my post... And writing it as "Yahweh" is pronouncing it, as you are vocalizing an unvocalized word... And actually it wasn't because no-one was supposed to be able to say it, it's just that since at the time of writing, Hebrew was not vocalized, the people who wrote it (yes, written by people, not God) DID know how to say the name out loud (=vocalized) but the knowledge died away after some generations.

[further major contradiction]

Yeah. There is more to it. You can turn back. GOD is still there. You have a chance. Don't waste it. There's not much time left. In fact who knows how much time is left.

And didn't you read my response to HMSChocolate? I don't want to fight anymore. This is getting us nowhere. I'm not convincing you and you're not convincing me.

[/further major contradiction]

Truth be told...I've never hear of it...but I'll look it up. Never know what I'll find.

Seriously, I recommend it, it's world famous, it surely is a beneficial read to everyone.

It's always hard to talk about religion especially because everyone is very passionate with what they believe in and a lot of them are very close-minded. I think one of the reasons is also because religion is held in a separate regard compared to the sciences or math. It is considered sacrilegious to question the so-called god and his existence. When people argue about religion- most people choose to respect other people's beliefs. However, if I believe something in science- for instance- that gravity does not exist. Why does everyone gang up on me? Why don't they just respect this "BELIEF" of mine. Why are the standards different when talking about religion and when talking about everything else in the world?

Back to the quote: "Religion is a blanket for people that want answers"

I think religion is a blanket for people who want excuses, people who want safety nets, people who are too afraid to believe that what happens after death is the same as to what happens before it: completely nothing.

Guest dragonb111
Let's not get into biology here, but I think we can all agree there are at least remnants of blood in specific types of meat. Could you elaborate on the hair thing, perhaps cite a source? :)

Umm wait... that's exactly what I told you in my post... And writing it as "Yahweh" is pronouncing it, as you are vocalizing an unvocalized word... And actually it wasn't because no-one was supposed to be able to say it, it's just that since at the time of writing, Hebrew was not vocalized, the people who wrote it (yes, written by people, not God) DID know how to say the name out loud (=vocalized) but the knowledge died away after some generations.

[further major contradiction]

[/further major contradiction]

Seriously, I recommend it, it's world famous, it surely is a beneficial read to everyone.

I'm getting really tired of this. Can't you just accept that you're right about me contradicting myself and live with it and not taunt me like HMSChocolate? Oh My! At least HMSChocolate is grown up enough and kind enough to end my arguement with her. She may think that I'm some idiot getting himself into something he can't get out of, but at least she's kind enough to back off.

I'll say it again. I was wrong. I contradicted myself. OKAY? You win. I'm tired of fighting. In fact, I asked my friend for help. He's knows more and is more familiar with the Bible than I am. If he comes, argue with him cuz I am tired of it. You win okay? I dont want to argue anymore.

It's always hard to talk about religion especially because everyone is very passionate with what they believe in and a lot of them are very close-minded. I think one of the reasons is also because religion is held in a separate regard compared to the sciences or math. It is considered sacrilegious to question the so-called god and his existence. When people argue about religion- most people choose to respect other people's beliefs. However, if I believe something in science- for instance- that gravity does not exist. Why does everyone gang up on me? Why don't they just respect this "BELIEF" of mine. Why are the standards different when talking about religion and when talking about everything else in the world?

Back to the quote: "Religion is a blanket for people that want answers"

I think religion is a blanket for people who want excuses, people who want safety nets, people who are too afraid to believe that what happens after death is the same as to what happens before it: completely nothing.

So let me get this straight. you think that we dissappear? We never existed? That we don't exist now? Nothing's going on right now? Please explain again...

Edited by dragonb111

Guest dragonb111
I'm sorry I didn't explain it well.

What I'm trying to say is that when we die- YES we don't exist anymore. Just like before we were conceived- we didn't exist then.

So...we came *poof* and went *poof* (in a more scientific way, I'm too lazy to go through it all) then...

we came after we were conceived by our parents and we decompose when we die. its not exactly "*poof*" but you get the picture.

although, it is nice to believe that there is something after this life just like it's nice to believe that santa claus exists: the truth is- there's none.

you humor me. you make what im saying (that we, according to your words, *poof*) as if it is the most ridiculous thig ever and yet you believe that men are molded from sand and women come from the ribs of men and that the supreme being that you believe in made the world and everything in it in seven days. im sorry but i think that's FAR more ridiculous and surreal than anything in this world.

Edited by purplestarfish

Guest dragonb111
we came after we were conceived by our parents and we decompose when we die. its not exactly "*poof*" but you get the picture.

although, it is nice to believe that there is something after this life just like it's nice to believe that santa claus exists: the truth is- there's none.

you humor me. you make what im saying (that we, according to your words, *poof*) as if it is the most ridiculous thig ever and yet you believe that men are molded from sand and women come from the ribs of men and that the supreme being that you believe in made the world and everything in it in seven days. im sorry but i think that's FAR more ridiculous and surreal than anything in this world.

I realize that it's not just *poof*. I meant it in a more scientific way that I'm just way to lazy to explain...I don't believe that santa claus exists. that's why I don't get coal or presents. I'm not saying that it's the most ridiculous thing ever. I just believe in something different. That's all.

Who said that it was seven 24 hour days...For all we know, it could've been 100+ hour days. But then again, that's why it's a miracle right? no one on earth right now can do it...until the antichrist comes...Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to make sense of this...

I realize that it's not just *poof*. I meant it in a more scientific way that I'm just way to lazy to explain...I don't believe that santa claus exists. that's why I don't get coal or presents. I'm not saying that it's the most ridiculous thing ever. I just believe in something different. That's all.

Who said that it was seven 24 hour days...For all we know, it could've been 100+ hour days. But then again, that's why it's a miracle right? no one on earth right now can do it...until the antichrist comes...Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to make sense of this...

See this is what I find so strange about religious people. For every decent argument someone makes, the answer is always "but God could do it this way" or "how do you know the length of the day applies to God?"

we ALL know that "god" didn't write the bible. so it wouldn't be god's perspective of day.. it would be one of the more than forty writers who wrote the bible. having said that, the writer's perspective of day would be just like ours proving that the day that the writer mentioned would be 24 hours.

say i give in to your argument, i still find it surreal that the world would be created in 7 days- even seven 100+ hour days. let's say one day has 150 hours, 1150x7= 1050 hours. that is still very surreal.

i find the way you view the bible very inconsistent. the things you agree with and can defend- you take literally. however, the things you don't agree with and can't defend- you automatically say that it must be taken differently.

when i study math or almost any subject for that matter (except when studying figurative speeches in english), i don't pick the parts i understand and take it literally and assume the parts i don't understand should be taken figuratively because that would be stupid. why should a different standard be applied when studying the bible?

we ALL know that "god" didn't write the bible. so it wouldn't be god's perspective of day.. it would be one of the more than forty writers who wrote the bible. having said that, the writer's perspective of day would be just like ours proving that the day that the writer mentioned would be 24 hours.

say i give in to your argument, i still find it surreal that the world would be created in 7 days- even seven 100+ hour days. let's say one day has 150 hours, 1150x7= 1050 hours. that is still very surreal.

i find the way you view the bible very inconsistent. the things you agree with and can defend- you take literally. however, the things you don't agree with and can't defend- you automatically say that it must be taken differently.

when i study math or almost any subject for that matter (except when studying figurative speeches in english), i don't pick the parts i understand and take it literally and assume the parts i don't understand should be taken figuratively because that would be stupid. why should a different standard be applied when studying the bible?

Yes, you've got a good point there. I think what people need to understand is that the Bible isn't 'faxed from Heaven' - using someone else's words, I won't say who because then it would go into a whole irrelevant argument - and that the Bible is only man's interpretation of the 'words of God' - whatever that is, and however they got that. It is, after all, written by man. I think, text like the Bible (and Koran and whatever) are good teachings on the general values that we should hold in life but can't be taken entirely literally. You have to realise that the Bible was written years and years and years ago, and its specific words are only relevant to its time. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but it talks about putting people to death for various sexual sin like adultery (Leviticus 20:10). Come on, are you going to take that literally? Yes, even today, adultery isn't the most noble thing, but would you put someone to death for it? Of course not! But of course, the Bible says you have to. It says that in the Bible because, at the time it was written (by man), such punishment was natural, but they are totally barbaric now.

I think there's nothing wrong with the Bible, and studying it is all well and good, but maybe a little reality check every once in a while is necessary. ;)

As for you "non-religious" people, you kill us "religious" people, you torture us, and you persecute us.

I don't think I could possibly read something that infuriates me as much as that. I'm sorry but how dare you suggest that us "non-religious" people persecute you? How dare you?!? Look at the statistics, look at the world, and then tell me that "non-religious" people are the ones that mistreat "religious" people! That comment made me sick.

Oh, and here is a question for you: What was it like to be before you were born? Seeing as you refuse to believe you can just be and just die, tell me what it was like before you were born. Thank you.

Guest dragonb111
Yes, you've got a good point there. I think what people need to understand is that the Bible isn't 'faxed from Heaven' - using someone else's words, I won't say who because then it would go into a whole irrelevant argument - and that the Bible is only man's interpretation of the 'words of God' - whatever that is, and however they got that. It is, after all, written by man. I think, text like the Bible (and Koran and whatever) are good teachings on the general values that we should hold in life but can't be taken entirely literally. You have to realise that the Bible was written years and years and years ago, and its specific words are only relevant to its time. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but it talks about putting people to death for various sexual sin like adultery (Leviticus 20:10). Come on, are you going to take that literally? Yes, even today, adultery isn't the most noble thing, but would you put someone to death for it? Of course not! But of course, the Bible says you have to. It says that in the Bible because, at the time it was written (by man), such punishment was natural, but they are totally barbaric now.

I think there's nothing wrong with the Bible, and studying it is all well and good, but maybe a little reality check every once in a while is necessary. :)

A very old version of the Bible (I can't remember its name) was found only very recently (actually a couple of months, but you get the point) That version only had a couple words different (e.g. it's, it is). It is written by man. But the Old Testament is a story. A history. The first few books were stories that Moses heard and wrote down.

We do deserve to die for our sins. But now we don't need that. Jesus came and saved us all. As long as you accept that, your sins are forgiven and FORGOTTEN. You are no longer supposed to be put to death.

Hey, gay people don't get to choose to be gay and the Bible is against that. That seems kind of unfair to me, but I accept whatever God says.

The Bible is actually a guide to life.

I don't think I could possibly read something that infuriates me as much as that. I'm sorry but how dare you suggest that us "non-religious" people persecute you? How dare you?!? Look at the statistics, look at the world, and then tell me that "non-religious" people are the ones that mistreat "religious" people! That comment made me sick.

Oh, and here is a question for you: What was it like to be before you were born? Seeing as you refuse to believe you can just be and just die, tell me what it was like before you were born. Thank you.

We pray for our churches. I'm not talking about present times. Our disciples were thrown in jail for preaching. That's all. You wanna tell me why? The people couldn't understand what they were saying! My comment made you sick? Yours makes me even more sick! I'm not just talking about the present. I'm talking about the past too you know!

To answer your question, I suggest you ask God. He knows everything.He knew me before time. I was someone to Him. He was expecting to raise me and planned out my entire life before time existed. or at least a very very long time ago. And no, Thanks to you!