Univeristy in UK vs US/CA

Teddy_The_Bear

Hi

I intend to apply to schools in the UK such as newcastle,bristol,birmingham,loborough,UCL but these are just ideas for a Computer Science Major.

However I have been getting advice from relatives and such that going to the UK for computer science is nowhere near as good as going to the US or Canada. So, what is your opinion? If you have knowledge on something like this, please share.

Thanks

What do you mean by nowhere near as good, exactly? Do you mean that you feel your degree will have less prestige, you won't be taught as well, you won't cover as much, you'll enjoy yourself less orrr.... what exactly is putting you off in particular?

Generally, I'd say it depends on the University you go to more than it does the country with this sort of thing, but obviously if you've heard this from several sources there might be something more in it! :D

I'm surpised you haven't heard about Waterloo university in Canada. It has a internationally top ranked computer science program and faculty that won numerous awards and competitions. The University of Waterloo also has the largest co-operative education program in the world and ties with many industries. The Waterloo region is also called the 'silicon valley of the north' since more alumni from the university establish high-tech and IT based companies than any other school in Canada.

During his visit to Waterloo in 2005, Bill Gates stated, "Most years, we hire more students out of Waterloo than any university in the world, typically 50 or even more."

If you are considering Computer Science as major definitely check out University of Waterloo.

Yea I have heard of Waterloo however I know I will not be able to reach it's standards due to their high HL requirements which I am going to have an issue with because my Physics teacher....sucks...this years seniors in my school most of them got 4's for Physics with the exception of like one person and Physics is not my strongest subject however I'm taking computer Science and getting 7's and the fact I am being pulled down by Physics is really ticking me off because I HAD to take physics since I needed a HL and the only thing I could have chosen was a Science.

The thing is is I'm told that apparently for Computer Science in Europe the UK is one of the best however there is a large gap between US/CA and the UK because of the teaching quality and the degree does not look as good and when it comes to job wise in the computer science department US/CA is much better. I mean the Uni's I have chosen in the UK are pretty good according to this:

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Computer+Science&x=24&y=5⊂=18

Speaking of Canadian university's, what are your take on Carleton on Computer Science?

Waterloo is definitely the place to go, if u wanna study in CA. The UK uni list u have shown is not even famous for applied science, you should consider unis like oxbridge, imperial college, warwick, nottingham.

I dare say, your IB subjects are not going to help you get into gd computer science courses. You will need HL maths or any other equivalent maths open exams.

Math I must say is not the greatest subject for me...I mean in SL i can get 6's and 7's but if I am to go HL...I will score 4 is lucky so that is not going to work. The courses I chose were my best choices, I don't see how else I could have gone except for Math HL which is out of question for me.

What do you mean the list I produced is not good, I mean the universities you just mention were included =/.

Opinion on Carleton University in Ontario anybody?=/