Free softwares available for math portfolio

RAfter

I think you can score a 3 [i think it's out of three] on tech without softwares. But I know for us, we HAD to type ours up. Also, we had to prove that we used our GDCs [i used TI-83+]. It's really simple because you can get a USB and the program [on a CD or you can download it from the TI website] when you buy the calculator, but it doesn't work with Vista :P Anyway, using a nonVista computer, you can take screenshots of the calculator and paste them onto your document. If that doesn't work, you can take a picture of the calculator and upload it to your computer. The quality's not as good though.

It takes maybe 30 minutes to really get what the task is asking of you. Then 2 hours to do the math [unless you don't get it! then you're stuck in a loop til you understand how to start]. Then 3-6 hours to type it up and make it all nice.

Erm well when writing up your IA, make sure you write the steps you used and mention the calculator. Also mention the limitations of the calculator. Then if possible, literally take a picture of the screen with a camera and upload the picture onto a computer and insert the picture into your document. You might not be expected to do this however. Ask your teacher if this is too much. If you don't have a camera.... don't go out and buy one haha. I don't think it's worth it unless you actually want the camera.

• Like 1

You can also find online calculators to give print outs. For instance there are Online Matrix Calculators.

Ideally you want to use some piece of technology MORE than your calculator to hit all your technology points.

EDIT: for the fishing rod one, I used a really good free download (trial) piece of graphing software called LabFit.

Edited by Sandwich

• 1 month later...

My math teacher has been very helpful in providing us with links to free software, but by far the best one is called Graphmatica too bad they charge for it now.

Here's some links for awesome ones that ARE free:

http://download.cnet.com/Graphing-Calculator-3D/3000-2053_4-10725117.html

http://download.cnet.com/DeadLine/3000-2053_4-10489854.html?tag=mncol

http://www.mathgv.com/

*reason for edit* link to free version of graphmatica. Honestly, this program has saved my butt.

http://www.brothersoft.com/graphmatica-for-win32-download-11173.html

Edited by KoricKing

• 2 months later...

You could always try out gnuplot. As long as you take a bit of time to learn how to use it, it can make beautiful looking 3D graphs for you, or at least I think they look cool :D Anyways, it's free to use so that's always a plus. Just google around for tutorials on how to start, just get familiar with the plot command then you go onto using splot to plot 3D graphs. Might take a bit of time but at least if you ever need a 3D graph, you can make one nice and quick. You could probably find an ebook copy of the "Gnuplot in Action" book floating around the intertubes if you're interested as well :D

You could always try out gnuplot. As long as you take a bit of time to learn how to use it, it can make beautiful looking 3D graphs for you, or at least I think they look cool :D Anyways, it's free to use so that's always a plus. Just google around for tutorials on how to start, just get familiar with the plot command then you go onto using splot to plot 3D graphs. Might take a bit of time but at least if you ever need a 3D graph, you can make one nice and quick. You could probably find an ebook copy of the "Gnuplot in Action" book floating around the intertubes if you're interested as well :D

thx, ill try that. The language looks pretty hard, but as long as I can learn it in 3 days, im fine :D

• 4 months later...